“Close Proximity to Meadowlands -- other than that nothing positive”
Review of Econo Lodge

Econo Lodge
Ranked #2 of 3 Hotels in Carlstadt
Reviewed June 6, 2010

We were in town to Bon Jovi concert. It was also our anniversary so I booked a suite. The room was ok. Jacuzzi and shower nice size but there wasn't ANY privacy between bathroom and bedroom. There was a huge picture window overlooking bathroom, which was ok but the bathroom door was glass to giving no privacy to the toilet. There was a note on the tv that the remote was broken and you had to change the channel manually. For $160 for the night, I have to do what? Gimme a break. Breakfast was ok. There was no security to speak of. All outside doors were unlocked or open, anyone could wander in whether they were a guest of not. I will never stay here again.

• Stayed: May 2010, traveled as a couple

Reviewed April 26, 2010

I pre-booked with this hotel before and had to cancel and had no problems. So for an extended stay I tried this place again. It is an older property but I thought it was very clean. Fresh towels brought in everyday. Sheets clean, newer pillows. Nice breakfast. Waffle maker, bagels, rolls, toast, coffee, juice, cold cereal, donuts, muffins. I only have two issues. One was that we had an indoor (courtyard) room. Because the courtyard is covered, noise echoes and people talking would sound very loud. On the other hand, an outside room would have the sound of traffic as located on a very busy road. My other issue was that there was a water problem and we had no water all night. I was not happy to be coming back from the city to find out no water. Just about ruined my vacation, I was very upset. Management did not charge me for that night which I appreciated. Our room had a small fridge and microwave. There was free parking. Easy check-in and check-out. This hotel is in an area with many wharehouses, not a lot nearby. Did notice a chicken and burger place, gas station with mini mart and Subway sandwich place nearby. Shopping plaza with a Super Walmart in Saddlebrook, about a 20 min drive in heavy traffic. Thanks to other posters, the NJ bus to Port Authority worked out well. Catch the 161 at the Valero gas station just down the street to Port Authority. From the PA take the subway just about anywhere you would want to go. Pay the driver cash for your fare. On the way back, you need to buy tickets at machines, cash or credit. Use gate 303, buy your tickets nearby where info posted. Ask the driver to stop at the Econo Lodge stop and push the red stop button above your seat when you get to the IZOD statdium. Bus drops you off across from the Valero and then less than 10 min walk to hotel. We didn't worry about walking at night, no one around anyway. The stop is the first leaving the city and the last into the city, so on a crowded bus, we sometimes had to stand. Ride can be from 30 min on a weekday to 15 on a weekend. The NJ Transit has a website all about fares, how to take the bus, ect. I would like to stay closer to the city next time, or in area with more to do nearby but this hotel was a good value so I would stay here again.

• Stayed: April 2010, traveled with family
1  Thank mrmisrule
Reviewed March 24, 2010

First, the hotel is your basic no frill discount place to sleep. As the saying goes, you pay for what you get. I wanted discount, and for the money I got what I expected. I find it amazing that people pay $50 for the night, you get a no frills breakfast and you're on your way. The woman who was taking care of the breakfast area offered to make waffles for us. The breakfast area is on the small side. She would make them in their kitchen and bring them out to us. I thought they are making the best of the area in which they work. You want more, go some place else more expensive and get more.

The reason for this review is this. I stayed for 2 night with a friend to visit New York city. When I got home, I discovered I forgot my power adapter for my laptop in the room. I called the hotel, and said they found it. They promptly mailed it to my house USPS. I live in Canada by the way. They said they would bill my credit card for the postage. Considering the adapter is worth 20 times that, I was very please when it showed up in the mail today.

So to the manager of that Econolodge, thank you for your honesty and prompt action to return my item

• Stayed: March 2010, traveled with friends
Reviewed November 30, 2009

Filthy, filthy, filthy! Smelled of cigarette smoke and blankets were worn down and the room in whole and the bathroom lacked cleanliness. AC wouldn't cool the room. Bottom line - THE WORST STAY EVER

• Stayed: June 2007, traveled as a couple
Reviewed October 4, 2009

We've just returned from 6 days in New York and this hotel was just fine. Yes, it's a little dated, and yes, it's a pain in being in New jersey, rather than Manhattan, but I would stay here again and I would recommened it.

It was clean and functional and quiet. The breakfast is just fine (nothing cooked) and fresh.

The 161 bus runs between every 10 minutes and every 1/2 hour, depending on time of day and weekday or weekend, and costs $3.40 one way into the Port Authority on 42nd St. The trip is 12 - 20 minutes, depending on traffic.

If ytou plan on using the bus, note that you need gate 303 at the Port Authority - all the bloody information desks were closed when we tried to find out the gate number.

Overall, this hotel is not the Hilton, but neither is it Hilton priced. The rooms are clean and reasonably well equipped, although a kettle would be nice.

If you don't eat a cooked breakfast, then there is everything you need from 6.30am to after 10.30am.

• Stayed: September 2009, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Brit_off_to_NZ
Reviewed October 1, 2009

- Stayed there last night after the Bruce Springstein Concert because the ratings before me were okay on Expedia and Priceline. Either I am spoiled or these people were blind. The carpet was dirty. There were unknown stains on the bedspreads. The furniture was very old and just when I thought it couldn't get any worse there was a used Q-tip on the floor. So- I went to check the bathroom- not bad at first glance....that is until I saw the used bandaid on the floor. I felt like I should be deloused prior to leaving. Hope I didn't catch anything. It was a cheap room...I know but still it's a chain and there is no excuse for items to be left around. I can understand old furniture but a bandaid...really?? The only thing that made me feel like I wasn't completely cheated was the ironically nice free breakfast in the courtyard. Not worth it in the end.

• Stayed: September 2009, traveled as a couple
Reviewed September 30, 2009

I had very low expectations of this motel given the price, but I was pleasantly surprised by what I found. The beds were clean and comfortable, there were plenty of towels, they provided some toiletries and a hair dryer, there was a fridge and microwave, etc. The free continental breakfast was a nice touch--fresh waffles! And they served it in a nice courtyard area. The decor was very dated, but who cares.

The motel is about a 15 min walk to Giants Stadium (which was my main reason for staying there). However, the walk is NOT pedestrian-friendly. There is no sidewalk or crosswalk. You have to walk on dirt and gravel alongside a pretty busy highway. I took the bus there from Penn Station and it literally just dropped me off on the side of the road in the middle of the night with no motel in sight (it's further down). It was a little scary, actually. So just be careful if you do any walking.

But overall, the motel was more than adequate and I was very satisfied with my stay.

Stayed: September 2009, traveled with friends
Also consider these accommodations in or near Carlstadt
Hampton Inn Carlstadt-At The Meadowlands
#14 of 15 in Secaucus
Hilton Meadowlands
Hilton Meadowlands
#4 of 5 in East Rutherford

Been to Econo Lodge? Share your experiences!