“Somewhat disappointed in my choices”
Review of Hunkar Restaurant

Hunkar Restaurant
Ranked #6 of 40 Restaurants in Carlstadt
Cuisines: Turkish
Dining options: Reservations
Dining options: Reservations
“Somewhat disappointed in my choices”
Reviewed April 7, 2014

As an appetizer I chose the zuchhini pancakes. While the sauce was tasty, the pancakes were undercooked, still very soggy and pasty in the middle. As an entree I got Hunkar Begendi with lamb, a classical Istanbul dish with lamb chunks cooked in tomato sauce, served on eggplant puree blended with cheese. The lamb and sauce were excellent, but the eggplant sauce was bland, and way too much - a little went a long way. It needed something on the side to offset the eggplant - green beans, a small bit of shepherd's salad, or something. Best bet to enjoy this dish by sharing with one or two others. Service was good, pleasant and attentive.

• Visited April 2014

• Turkish first
Ridgewood, New Jersey
“Tasty Turkish”
Reviewed August 18, 2013

Really enjoyed this place. We had a bunch of appetizers – hummus, caviar spread, eggplant chunks – all of which were good. My wife tried the Bronzino special which was a whole fish, with head and bones and all. It was very juicy, very simple. I liked it more than my Iskender (they were out of the lamb shank, my usual go to dish at Turkish places). I also had a bite of my friends lamb chunks which were excellent. (She was born in Turkey and I was happy that she gave this place a thumbs up.) We had a nice corner table at the front of the restaurant. Later when I used the restroom I saw that there was a back room with open windows and a view of Met Life Stadium and midtown Manhattan behind that. We asked to have our dessert and coffee served out there, and our waitress was very accommodating. It was a pleasant way to end the evening. I would definitely go back, and it was convenient to Bananas Comedy Club further north on Route 17.

• Visited August 2013
NJ
“I just love this place...”
Reviewed February 25, 2013 via mobile

My favorite restaurant by far... Lebni dip is delicious, chicken sish and kofe kote is awesome yum. I'm getting hungry thinking about it. Try it out....it will surprise you!

Wood Ridge, New Jersey
“Turkish Delight”
Reviewed November 5, 2012

We are regulars at this restaurant. The food is very good and reasonably priced. The atmosphere is relaxing with Turkish music to add to the mood. The service is excellent. I would highly recommend the salmon.

• Visited October 2012
Long Beach Island, New Jersey
“love is not lovelier the 2nd time around”
Reviewed August 31, 2012

We went to this place 2 x within a month. The first time we were very impressed the lamb shank was incredible. We returned 2 weeks later and brought our son and his girlfriend. The lamb shank was good but the carrots and potatoes it was served with were not heated. It was painfully apparent they do not use fresh vegetables. Needless to say we were very disappointed and as true foodies we are not very excited to return. The hummus is excellent, I will give them that but we were really turned off by their poor presentation of vegetables.

• Visited August 2012