“Beautiful Park”

Cape May Point State Park
Reviewed July 10, 2012

It's a nice park, we need to re-visit again soon. I like that you have to pay to get it because that seems to keep some of the riff-raff out. Nice bath house

Reviewed July 5, 2012

This is a wonderful natural area that we have visited several times. And, unlike the beaches at the city of Cape May, the state park's beaches are FREE. Wonderful, clean sand, for lounging, fishing, or hours of walking along the water's edge (our favorite thing to do!). Lots of FREE parking also on a large paved lot. If you want to visit the Cape May Point lighthouse, there is a fee for that. Adjacent to the parking lot is the start of a large natural area with several trails, short and long, with extensive boardwalks in most areas. Enjoy migratory birds in their natural habitat of beaches, dunes, wetlands, and ponds. A very pleasant and FREE experience.

1  Thank TomKNY
Reviewed June 29, 2012

What a nice state park! Of course you can visit the adjacent lighthouse as well. We enjoyed the overlook over the marsh, then walked a bit on the beach. There is no entrance charge for the park nor is there a requirement to purchase a beach tag. However, there is no lifeguard and no swimming either. Don't tell the dolphins though, we saw some playing in the surf. It was very windy the day we visited so we wrapped ourselves in towels to protect ourselves from being sandblasted as we sat down to watch the sea. Later we enjoyed the little museum on site. I finally got to see a terrapin...my husband loves them and they had a couple in an aquarium. We always enjoy learning of the wildlife and history of an area and this was just enough for a short trip to the beach on a windy day.

Reviewed June 21, 2012

Love it. The view from the top is beautiful looking out at the old naval base and the sunken ship.

1  Thank capemayharbor12
Reviewed June 15, 2012

I absolutely LOVE going to Cape May Point State Park as often as I can even though it is a 90 minute drive for me.
It's a great place to go just about any time of the year.
Large, clean parking lot. Large, clean rest rooms available.
You can sit on the beach, fish on the beach, picnic at one of the picnic areas, walk the nature trails, of which there are 3 "loops" of varying lengths, and you can climb the light house if you can manage it. I admit, I've never done the light house, I don't think I could make it up the stairs and I am afraid of heights.
But I walk the nature trails with my camera and always come away with some good photos of ducks or birds.
In the fall, butterflies migrate through the area and it is an amazing sight to experience.
I have been there just about every month of the year on my different visits and am never disappointed.
A historic war bunker also sits on the beach.
You do not have to spend a whole day here, and the park is near Sunset Beach, The Meadows and the shopping district of Cape May.
I highly recommend visiting the park if you enjoy the beach, photography, birding, walking or some combination of these things.