“Great Food, lovely hotel, do not stay in Room 101.” 2 of 5 bubbles
Review of The Virginia Hotel

The Virginia Hotel
Ranked #10 of 37 Hotels in Cape May
Philadelphia, PA
“Great Food, lovely hotel, do not stay in Room 101.”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 23, 2007

The restaurant at the Ebbitt Room in the Virginia Hotel is amazing. Delicious, very good food. The calimari is the best I've ever had. Amazingly light. The hotel is very nice, but if you book a standard room, make sure it is not Room 101. Room 101 is on the first floor and is very noisy. It backs up to the back patio where the staff hangs out and there is also a table for large dinner parties where one was the night we stayed. Unbelieveable that the hotel would think this is acceptable. We had to keep our blinds closed the entire time. I cannot stress how disappointed we were in this room. There was no privacy and it was very noisey. The bed was small and uncomfortable. I hear the other rooms are lovely, we just got a bad one. A waste of money for sure.

• Liked — The food at the Ebbitt Room.
  • Disliked — Our guest room.
  • Stayed July 2007, traveled as a couple
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
7 Thank Megan29

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (137)
Philadelphia
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 10, 2007

A really great stylish b&b--perfect for anyone looking to escape the usual fussiness of Cape May and relax in a little bit of luxury. We went to celebrate my birthday, driving through a powerful nor-easter to get there. Not a soul was about in Cape May due to the weather, but the Virginia was the perfect place to escape the storm. A fire in the lobby fireplace, plush bed linens, a delicious meal in the Ebbitt Room...it all made us forget the fact that we could barely see the beach through the rain! And I Ioved the continental breakfast delivered to your room each morning (included in the price of the room)..warm coffee, tea, delicious pastries, yogurts, fruit..really substantial and delicious.

• Liked — Decor and comfort
  • Disliked — Not much of a view
  • Stayed April 2007, traveled as a couple
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
6 Thank mekPhilly
Bel AIr
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 8, 2007

We stayed 5 days over the July 4th holiday. I was not too happy with the price as 400.00 a night is more than I was willing to spend. However......What a truly wonderful place and spending the extra $$ was OK by us. We had a wonderful room that was kept sparkling clean the entire visit. We never once heard a peep at anytime in the room. Even though the hotel is on the main drag and is quite busy, we never heard a voice, a door slam, nothing. The best part, there were no kids....we have 6 kids and taking a break from the kids for some "us" time is what we like to do once a year....There are not enough words to describe this place, the front desk, absolutely everyone who works there loves working there....Take a chance, you won't be disappointed - we will be going back next year!

• Liked — the location
  • Disliked — No pool!!!!! Not really - but, I could not think of anything I did not like!!!!
  • Stayed July 2007, traveled as a couple
Switzerland
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 15, 2007

Rooms small but very comfortable, clean and well appointed.

Staff very attentive and flexible.

Excellent location - more or less in the center of town and only 2 minutes from the beech.

Don't miss the opportunity to enjoy evening cocktails on the porch.

Will be back.

• Stayed June 2007, traveled as a couple
2 Thank gotogo
Doylestown
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 5, 2007

Cape May is a beautiful town, populated with exquisite Victoria hotels. This one - with its lovely porch, impeccable staff, good food, fabulous wine list and delicious free Continental breakfasts - is a gem. We stopped here last weekend for our first wedding anniversary and everything was great. Free valet parking, one block from the beach, complementary beach towels and chairs, where do I stop?

• Liked — Everything!
  • Disliked — Zip!
  • Stayed June 2007, traveled on business
1 Thank johnnydogmatic
Westfield, New Jersey
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 2, 2007

My husband and spent the night of May 31, our 27th anniversary, at the Virginia Hotel. We were greeted warmly, our reservation was accurate, and we took ourselves up to our room (there was a young man available to take our luggage up to the third floor, but we like to be independent!). The room was a nice size, the decor simple (my husband doesn't care for the intense Victoriana of most of the B&Bs in Cape May, which influenced my choice of this hotel), and they had nice amenities i.e. toiletries, high thread count sheets, lots of pillows, flat screen TV (did you know you can't see the CNN scroll on a flat screen?). The downstair rooms are very elegant, the front porch comfortable (that's where we ate our very substantial continental breakfast, included in the $200. room price), and there is free valet parking (just need to tip the friendly valet).

Now the buts... The toilet seat desperately needed to be replaced. Peeling paint under and on top. A new one would have cost $5.-10. at Home Depot. And the air conditioning failed in the middle of the night. I'm sure if we had called, someone would have come to fix it, or they would have moved us to another room (the hotel was not full), but we don't really like to deal with people while in our pjs, and the weather had cooled off, so we just opened the window. Surprise! No screen. Not a welcome thing if you are allergic to bees or dislike mosquito bites.

In short, a nice hotel that just needs to pay a little more attention to the details.

Stayed May 2007
3 Thank Blockster
New York City
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 29, 2007

I am a young neurologist with a very busy life revolving around patients and the hospital. Living in rush-rush of New York City everyday for the past few years, I've lost touch with the serene nature of certain parts of my home state, New Jersey (the Garden State), yet this wonderful little boutique hotel immediately brought me back into a world of relaxation the moment I set foot in the doorway.

Upon entering the elegantly decorated hallway, my girlfriend and I were pleasantly greeted by a more-than-friendly staff. Although there was some confusion regarding a "romance package" that I had booked a month before our weekend at The Virginia Hotel, Samantha and Mark (the manager) rectified the situation professionally and courteously, something I very much appreciated.

Our room (204) was very cozy, with a comfortable queen sized bed fitted with the finest Bulgari linens and a side porch with two comfortable outdoor chairs. Being a news, sports and electronic junkie, I was impressed to see that the room also came with a modern, flat-screen television with some 60+ channels. Since the weather was perfect, my girlfriend and I slept with the windows open most of the night and awoke every morning with the refreshing sound of birds chirping away close by (another accouterment of many mornings missed during my continuously rushed New York lifestyle). Had the weather been too warm or too cold, the room could also be climate controlled with central air conditioning and heating.

Since Cape May is such a romantic place and since it is in my homestate, I wanted this weekend to be extremely special, since I had planned on proposing to my girlfriend there. Needless to say, she was more than "swept off her feet" this weekend not just by me, but also by the warm staff of the Virginia Hotel (she said "yes" to my marriage proposal, btw). I have to thank the staff of the Virginia Hotel tremendously for their service and friendliness. Most of all, they were extremely accomodating, catering to our desires wherever we turned and whenever we asked.

On Saturday the 28th of April, my new fiancee and I (having just gotten engaged in the late-afternoon) were greeted by a joyous staff who welcomed our celebratory spirit with open arms and listening ears. We had dinner in the elegant Ebbitt Room and found that the food was even better (and cheaper) than some of the finest of five star restaurants that we've been to across the globe. Chef Andrew Carthy truly adds a flair for cooking that certainly makes the moment, especially for a couple madly in love and in the mood for romance. I had a pan-seared salmon entree which I can only describe as "perfect" and my new fiancee had delicious sea bass. The dessert was just as wonderful as the main course as we both shared a rich chocolate truffle cake with homemade vanilla ice cream.

Since we were all smiles after our engagement on Saturday, we were so blessed to have shared our joy with other hotel guests with a bottle of champagne in the lounge. In regards to the type of guests we met at the Virginia, most were much older than us (aged 40+) with no kids whatsoever (I love kids but kids and romance don't mix well in my book).

Since Cape May and the Virginia now remain in a special place in my heart due to my engagement to my future wife, I know that I will always come back there for years to come (hopefully in the same room). Rest assured that a stay in the Virginia Hotel will have you hooked for life. For someone like myself, who appreciates the modern amenities of a boutique hotel, I know that the Virginia Hotel is the place for me. The overall experience this past weekend was more than amazing and I am going to recommend this hotel to everyone of my friends if/when they go to Cape May. I hope this review helps people who have never been to Cape May and are looking for a relaxing and wonderful place to stay.

• Liked — The classiness!
  • Disliked — There was some confusion with booking of the romance package in terms of billing/check-out but it was dealt with professionally by Mark the manager....no big deal.
  • Stayed April 2007, traveled as a couple