All reviews ebbitt room red cottage continental breakfast front porch silver tray the cottages congress hall breakfast delivered no elevator my husband and i valet service third floor cape resorts the main hotel yogurt boutique hotel spa shower
Reviewed February 16, 2015

As a Christmas gift,our adult children gave us a getaway weekend at the Virginia. We chose to go on Valentine's Day weekend, and we could not have been happier with our stay. Every staff member was professional, helpful, and friendly. The room, though relatively small, was charmingly decorated and, most importantly, spotlessly clean, as were the public areas of the hotel. Although the Ebbit Room was fully booked on this weekend, those who dined there reported it to be excellent, and we observed people making new friends in the bar area. The stairs could be a problem for those with physical limitations. We were on the 3rd floor and found the trips up and down to be a challenge, albeit providing some much-needed exercise. We met several couples who have been coming here for up to 20 years - need I say more?

Room Tip: Rooms vary in size, and I think only a few offer king-sized beds. Ask when you make a reservation.
  • Stayed: February 2015, traveled as a couple
1  Thank any0ne22
Tara R, General Manager at The Virginia Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded February 27, 2015

any0ne22,

Thank you for writing your review. I was so pleased that your time with us was memorable. I will be sure to pass your lovely comments along to the staff. Valentine's Weekend was such a fun weekend for us all, we had a great time welcoming new guests and repeat guests back to the hotel and the restaurant.

When you visit us again, please note that you would like a room on the first or second floor and we will be certain to book a lower floor for you. We look forward to welcoming you back soon and also seeing you in the Ebbitt Room for dinner.

Reviewed February 4, 2015

The Virginia Hotel is a great place to get away, especially in the winter. The weather may not be the greatest but you will certainly experience the warmth from the hotel and all it offers. Considered a boutique, the rooms are extremely comfortable and inviting. They do have a bar inside the room but you do have to pay. Usually with winter specials, they offer 2 drinks at the casual and intimate bar. An upscale continental breakfast is included that can be served to your room or by the fireplace in the living room area. Everyone here is so pleasant,especially Tara who will make you feel that you have know her forever! Location is excellent, right on Jackson street!

Room Tip: I think any room is fine
  • Stayed: January 2015, traveled as a couple

bpask,

It was such a pleasure meeting you while you were here at the hotel. I always love meeting new guests and of course welcoming back repeat guests.

I am so happy we were able to relax and enjoy during your stay with us. Breakfast by the fire is such a delight! We look forward to welcoming you back in the future and I look forward to speaking with you in person again.

Reviewed January 28, 2015

We have stayed hear 3 times now and each time it gets better. The rooms are quality and comfort, The Ebbit Room is superb, can be a bit noisy at times. Bar is a little on the tight side but the bartenders are fast and make great cocktails. We unfortunately had a warm afternoon with rain so we took advantage of the covered porch. We were served tea and enjoyed our time reading and relaxing until it was time to get ready for dinner. So convenient to be so close to the beach and the center of town. Didn't use the car once. My favorite place in Cape May!

• Stayed: October 2014, traveled as a couple
Tara R, General Manager at The Virginia Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded March 3, 2015

Tamr60,

I will be sure to pass along your comments to both Helen & Leo the Ebbitt Room bartenders. I was so delighted to read that you were able to enjoy the front porch, even in the rain. The porch is a very popular spot at the hotel and in town, guests love to sit out on the porch with beverages or tapas items and watch the world of Cape May pass them by on Jackson Street.

We thank you for your comments and for taking the time to share them, and we so look forward to seeing you again soon! We will keep a spot on the porch open for you !

Reviewed January 11, 2015

We stayed in the Jackson Suite of the Red Cottage across the street from the hotel. A nice bedroom with a very comfortable bed, a separate sitting room with table, chairs, fridge, microwave, keurig coffeemaker, and closet with safe. The best part was the balcony which spanned the entire width of the house on the second floor. The hotel was beautifully decorated for Christmas and is part of the trolley holiday tour. Our included Continental breakfast was delivered on a silver tray each morning to our suite. We went to the hotel bar for drinks each night and on our last night we met the chef [who was off duty] and his lady, who were extremely nice. In fact, every person we met from the hotel was terrific. We will certainly be back, and look forward to dinner at the hotel

Room Tip: Take the Jackson Suite of the Red Cottage if available
  • Stayed: December 2014, traveled as a couple
2  Thank Ray185

Ray185,

I agree that the balcony at the Red Cottage is delightful and visiting at Christmas is a wonderful time to be here. The decorations, the holiday spirit and the climbing Santas are so much fun to look at.

I will be sure to pass your comments off to Matt our Executive Chef, the Ebbitt Room Team and the Hotel team about the service they provided.

We look forward to your return visit and we hope it is soon.

Reviewed January 9, 2015

I have mixed feelings as I write this review; however, let me begin by saying that we love the Cape Resort properties and service. My hubby and I visit the Ebbit Room every time we are in Cape May and thoroughly enjoy the superb food there. Helen and Leo are the best! :)

We booked a room at the Red Cottage for the nights of January 2 & 3 thru Groupon. The Red Cottage is a beautiful, newly refurbished (I think) building. Our room was the Windward which was fine. Beautiful bedding and an excellent side view of the Virginia Hotel and all of its gorgeous Santas. This room was advertised to have a "sitting room"; however, there was not a chair to be found within this "sitting" room. It was a large pass thru from the bedroom to the bathroom with a refrigerator, coffee pot and large bench for luggage placement.

Unfortunately, the walls and floors in the Red Cottage are paper thin and our room was located above a very loud party below. We had had enough of the loud, gregarious voices and chair banging and finally called over to the Virginia Hotel front desk at 12:43 am to see if they could take care of the problem. Unfortunately there was no answer and we just had to deal with the noise for another 30 minutes or so. We spoke with the front desk the next morning, January 3, and the woman (from Broomall, PA) offered to move us to the Pink Cottage for our second night. I was hesitant about making the move, because of all the hassle; however, it was a very good move for us! The cottage was extremely quiet and we even had a view of the ocean! :) The cottage is in need of refurbishment (i.e., the wooden windows are literally falling apart ~ so be aware if and when you open a window...). We stayed in Room 3 (third floor) which had a king-size bed and a large, beautiful bathroom. There is a nice sitting room downstairs for the guests in the cottage to use; unlike the Red Cottage which does not have a sitting room (big mistake).

I appreciate how kind the lady at the front desk was concerning our problem, because loud guests in Cape May are unusual and it was not the fault of the Virginia Hotel/Red Cottage. She was very gracious to offer us the cottage change as well as a yummy cheese board and drink in the Ebbit Room lounge.

This was the first time I had booked a hotel/B&B through Groupon and I'm not sure if I would do that again. We prefer to book directly with the hotel/B&B and will probably do that again in the future.

We will continue to enjoy the Ebbit Room every time we visit Cape May and will probably give the Virginia Hotel a try in the future. BTW ~ Christmas at the Virginia Hotel is gorgeous! There are charming Santas scattered around the exterior of the building and beautiful greenery and ornaments inside the lobby and Ebbit Room.

• Stayed: January 2015, traveled as a couple
2  Thank bouncingbunny

Ray185,

We look forward to your return visit and we hope it is soon.