“Great place for a weekend getaway”
Review of The Virginia Hotel

The Virginia Hotel
Ranked #11 of 37 Hotels in Cape May
Reviewed January 21, 2009

A nice place and a short walk to the beach. The rooms were large and bed was very comfortable. Also, the Christmas decorations on hotel and in Cape May were very tastefully done.

• Stayed: December 2008, traveled as a couple

Reviewed December 4, 2008

We went on a "mini-moon" after our wedding and loved everything about Cape May during this time. I called to ask about special packages and booked the romance package. We got 2 nights, a full bottle of champagne upon arrival, fresh flowers, continental breakfast and a $90 gift certificate to the Ebbitt Room. It was a great deal and worth every penny.

Check-in on Sunday was a quick and valet was efficient and on time. The amenities were luxurious, bulvgari bath products, warm decor, big fireplace in the main lobby area. It's a boutique hotel that has a b&b feel to it. Service was so genuine and professional. We needed to get my husband's tux dry cleaned right after the wedding so he could wear it again on Tuesday and the front desk picked up his tux, sent it to the dry cleaners & then picked it up for us all in the same day, no hesitation on their part!

The breakfast consisted of yogurt, fruit, croissant, bagel, coffee/tea, juice and you could have it in your room or in the sitting area, we chose to have it in our room. I have to say that the Ebbitt Room was one of the most memorable dinners we have had. The food was so FRESH, delicious, flavorful and the best service in such a relaxing atmosphere. We have been to other shores and have never raved about any Jersey shore food establishments the way we did here (aside from new england) They even gave us champagne (2 glasses) on the house!

Pros: quick drive from home, good deals off-season, best restaurant in hotel, walking distance to beach, art galleries, shops & great service!

Cons: Bath was slow to drain water but other than that, we loved our stay and will be going back again in a few weeks!

• Stayed: October 2008, traveled as a couple
1  Thank pheenee
Reviewed August 16, 2008

The Virginia Hotel was part of my last minute search for a place to stay in impossible Cape May, that wasn't $300+. The sister hotel of the Congress Hall, it is also one of prestige. When booking the gentleman on the phone informed me that "Miss, you will be staying at the hotel with the finest dinning on the beach, do make your reservation now!"
It truly is a beautiful hotel. Although, I must send out a warning, there are no elevators- so if you can't handle the stairs, well, there are landings after each set for you to take a break. And there is a lovely stained glass window for you to stare at, while you catch your breath.
I was completely smitten with the hotel's atmosphere, the rooms are amazing, the beds are so comfortable, the bathroom clean (with the best water pressure might I add) and the overall experience just great.
We did get a chuckle out of the carpets- they have V's all over them, but hell I'd be proud too. It's nice to see such a lovely old building so well preserved.
The only complaint I can offer is just a mere mistake due to our late check in- they forgot to offer us a valet for our car. It's no worries though, the staff is by far cool as all can be.

• Stayed: July 2008, traveled as a couple
Reviewed August 6, 2008

Being a native of The Jersey Shore, I have visited and stayed in Cape May dozens of times, but this past June was my first overnight visit to the Virgina Hotel. It's centrally located in the heart of Cape May right on Jackson Street. The hotel itself is beautifully decorated, and very clean. The staff was extremely courteous and very helpful. We stayed on the 3rd floor and were very pleased with the room. It was a bit on the smaller side, but again, very clean and wonderfully decorated. The front porch is one of my favorite amenities at the hotel. It's fully furnished and very invting and comfortable, and the perfect place to relax after a long day. We did not have dinner at the Ebbit Room but we did enjoy breakfast there, and it was by far the best breakfast I ever had! Shops, restaurants and the beach are all within walking distance. The only drawback about the Virginia is that there is no swimming pool, and there is no parking on the premisis. Aside from that, I love everything about the hotel and will return.

• Stayed: June 2008, traveled as a couple
Reviewed July 4, 2008

We stayed at The Virginia Hotel in Cape May, NJ for a few days. The hotel is nice enough. I travel quite a bit and stay in boutique hotels whenever possible, so The Virginia was in keeping with my usual hotel standard. The room we booked was a bit small, but the hotel overall is small and intimate, so this was fine. The bathroom was fine, with separate shower stall and jacuzzi tub. The room decor was nice, not overdone in the Victorian style of Cape May. Note that the hotel does not have an elevator, so keep that in mind. Our room was on the third floor, at the very top of the stairs, so we certainly got our exercise. Also note that the hotel is about a block from the beach, but the property offers a chair/towel station free of charge. For a cabana, you will need to reserve in advance at a charge of $50/day.

Overall, we had a good stay at The Virginia.

• Stayed: June 2008, traveled as a couple
1  Thank noracnyc
Reviewed May 15, 2008

My mom and I were extremely impressed during our recent stay. The beds were the most comfortable I have ever slept in other than my own. The service was superb, from the valet, to the front desk, to room service. Everything was so elegant, I would highly recommend!

• Stayed: May 2008, traveled with friends
Reviewed April 25, 2008

Let me start off by saying this was my first time in Cape May...and what a wonderful place it is! The homes were beautiful, the people were friendly, and there were plenty of things to keep us occupied (i.e. lots of restaurants and shops, we took a trolley ride, and the beach was 1 block away!).

The received a gift certificate to stay at The Virginia, and chose April to avoid the summer crowds and prices. The hotel was very nice, and the staff was very friendly.

However, the room was very expensive ($250 per night), and was rather small with the amenities you would expect at any hotel (not sure why it was so expensive in April). Also, I contact the manager before our trip since it would be our anniversary. The manager said we would have a deluxe room on the 3rd floor! Awesome! But when we arrived we had a normal room with king bed on the second floor. The manager was no where to be found.

Finally, we had ants in the bathroom ... not hundreds, but enough so that we had to kill 10 or so each day. We told the staff, and we did get 10% off our stay. Okay, so now we paid $225 per night for an okay room with ants...

Overall, Cape May was great. The Virginia was expensive and average.

• Stayed: April 2008, traveled as a couple