“Peaceful relaxing week in Cape May”
Review of The Virginia Hotel

The Virginia Hotel
Ranked #8 of 37 Hotels in Cape May
Suffield, Connecticut
“Peaceful relaxing week in Cape May”
Reviewed July 22, 2014

Our first time at this Hotel. It is one of the Cape May Resorts Group properties so it has the beach amenities and the use of Congress Hall facilities. We had a standard Queen room with no view. But no matter as we were in it only to sleep. The room was very clean with top notch sheets and a great shower. In the hotel is the fabulous Ebbit Room restaurant. Certainly one of the top three we have been to in Cape May. We also had drinks on the veranda and room service continental breakfast which is included in the room price. This hotel does not cater to children. It is for adults. If you have young kids go to Congress Hall which caters to families. The beach is a close walk and you can have lunch served to you on the beach. Nice feature we used every day. So enjoy!!

Room Tip: Look for specials on the internet. I actually found a good discount on Trip Advisor. Although I book...
  • Stayed July 2014, traveled as a couple
3 Thank gth89

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (139)
Lansdale, Pennsylvania
Reviewed June 25, 2014

We have been coming to the Virginia since the 90s. A few years ago we had a bad experience and decided never again. Since we frequent other Cape Resorts establishments (Congress Hall) we decided to give it another shot after receiving a promotional email. There were not many rooms available since they were pretty booked. So we booked 6/23/14-6/25/14 a side balcony queen room (room 204). Check in was pretty smooth and very cordial. Tara the manager and another young lady were very accommodating in explaining everything. When we entered our room it felt slightly cool but not cool enough for my liking so I lowered the thermostat to 65 since it was set on 72. After about 20 mins it was no cooler than before. I lowered to 57 and still nothing. I called down to the front desk and again very accommodating. Tara sent up the maintenance man and he replaced my filter. I asked him if the fan had any other speed but low and he stated that it had one speed. I kept the thermostat down hoping it would get cooler but the temp in our room never went below 70. Our room was not comfortable enough for me to sleep well and it became stuffy. For those of you that like your room cooler this may not be a good fit for you. The room was very clean and nicely decorated. The tv could use an upgrade. There were 3 long scratches on the plasma screen which made it hard to watch it clearly for when we were in our room. I love history so the history that was preserved with certain aspects within the hotel is appreciated.

The next morning we had our complimentary breakfast in our room. They do a nice continental breakfast and their beach plum farm eggs are the freshest and best eggs I've ever eaten. The food runners that run your food to you in the mornings are such hustlers. The valet is also a hustler. The hotel outside of our room in the hallway and downstairs was so hot and stuffy. Curtis (owner) needs to upgrade the AC Unit or the fan speed.

To me for the price that you pay we were both disappointed and decided this is not the place for us any longer. We seriously feel it has gone down hill from the previous years. Also, the Ebbitt Room was such a let down and smoking hot in there. I will review that in the restaurant section.

• Stayed June 2014, traveled as a couple
3 Thank RFosh
Springfield, Illinois
Reviewed June 24, 2014

The management and proprietors have no compassion. We had stayed in the guest cottages during summer for several years without incident so I recommended it to my sister for her anniversary. She bought a special promotion advertised for February. Her dog became very ill the week before the scheduled visit so she asked management (Ms. Rothberg) for an extension into March.The management refused.Poor management decision! The dog passed away that weekend.It is beyond belief that a hotel with this reputation would decline an extension to a guest (during its slowest season ) because of a promotional rate. My family began to notice a decline in service during last years summer vacation. This year we chose to rent another house with local,accessible, lovely owners.The Virginia valet service remains excellent.

• Stayed June 2014, traveled with family
4 Thank Lalapuj
Tara R, General Manager at The Virginia Hotel, responded to this review, June 26, 2014
Lalapuj,

Thank you for taking the time out to write a review.

I am so sorry for the loss of your sister's dog. Our pets are our friends and they are certainly family members and when they pass it is sad. My condolences to you and your sister.

Had I know of the severity of the situation I certainly would have offered alternatives. We do have certain policies in place in terms of cancellation of a hotel stay and certain promotions do carry restrictions.

Please contact me at trothberg@virginiahotel.com as I would like to welcome you back as a guest and ensure your next stay is a memorable one.
Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania
Reviewed June 23, 2014

Wonderful Victorian ambiance if a little tired. The porch/veranda is lovely and in the shade during the hottest part of the day. We loved the breakfast routine. The evening before you check off what you want. It is delivered to you in your room, in the lounge, or on the porch. If you are looking for a B&B or a 'he-man' breakfast--forget it. We were very satisfied with the small but tasty portions. The rooms mostly have no view. Ours was a mid-sized king wonderfully taken care of by housekeeping. A big plus was that our towels were replaced twice a day and that accommodated our excursion to the beach and the necessity of two showers a day. Speaking of the beach, the hotel provides umbrellas, towels, lounges/chairs on site at the beach. A HUGE plus. Another plus is that you can order lunch from the Victoria Hotel sister hotel the Congress Hall by filling out a card on the beach. The food is great and reasonably priced considering the service that goes into it.

The front desk is manned by young girls and it appeared they were home from college for the summer. Pleasant, but not professional. This is not meant as a negative. We liked them. Had some problem with our iPad not being able to connect. The on duty staff was clueless as to the problem. But, it resolved itself the next morning. Oh, the venetian blind in the room 202 is totally non functional. The shade had to be open and closed by hand.

As for the bar (Ebbit Room), bring a fat wallet for good drinks and a large variety.

Room Tip: The best view is out over the front porch and that is simply a street view. I suspect most of the o...
  • Stayed June 2014, traveled as a couple
pghgebe,

Thank you for taking the time to write your review. I welcome all comments, comments like yours help us to continue to strive harder each day to meet and exceed our guests expectations.

I was so pleased to read about our housekeeping staff, I will be sure to share your lovely comments with them as well as our beach attendants. The beach is such a great way to relax and your enjoyment of that amenity was felt through the review!

I will be sure to speak with our front desk ladies regarding their demeanor. That is not the service we strive for here at the Virginia Hotel & Cottages. Please rest assure, the WIFI has been looked into and the blind is in the process of getting replaced.

We look forward to welcoming you back soon and please reach out to me when you return as I would welcome the opportunity to introduce myself. trothberg@virginiahotel.com . Enjoy the rest of your summer and please think about a fall vacation in Cape May.
Nottingham, United Kingdom
Reviewed June 5, 2014

The hotel is tired and needs to up its service. Our greeting was a front staircase matt with a large hole in it. The bathroom had cracked tiles, the breakfast is a joke. Sorry they ruined what should have been a lovely stay. The best service was from the valet.

• Stayed May 2014, traveled as a couple
4 Thank Kilometers2014
Murrysville, Pennsylvania
Reviewed June 2, 2014

My Aunt and I visited the Virginia Hotel, in the Pink Cottage, from May 26th through the 29th. things went wrong from the moment we entered our rooms. Lose door knob, noisy air conditioner, incomplete coffee set up, cheap furniture and no telephone in the rooms. Never had dinner in the Ebbitt room because we had to wait 20 minutes past our reservation time when there was no one else in the dining room so we left. Later we could not get into the cottage because the door was locked. When I called the front desk ...from my cell phone... I was told there was a code to get into the cottage, but no one had informed us about this. Though there was a parking space outside the cottage with our cottage number on it we could not park there. I was told parking there was "complicated'. The patio set out front was dirty and the umbrella was moldy. It took 2 days just to get a coffee setup in our rooms. When we were ready to leave at 7am I called the front desk for the valet to bring our car to the cottage we were told valets didn't come in until 8am. I had to go get my key, walk 2 blocks to get my car then carry all our luggage down 2 flights of stairs and pack the car without any help from the staff. This does not cover all that was wrong, would need a lot more space for that. We have no plans of going back. Are looking into other locations at Cape May.

• Stayed May 2014, traveled with family
5 Thank Jan B
New York City, New York
Reviewed June 2, 2014

Recently discovered the Virginia Hotel with an excellent restaurant called the Ebbitt Room for outstanding food. This is among a collection of hotels privately owned with the Congress Hall among them. The hotel is meticulously maintained, with an emphasis on pampering and trying to meet high expectations. Continental breakfast is included which can be served either in your room but also in nice weather outside on the veranda or in a lounge area inside. It has a strong Victorian charm but with modern bathroom facilities. It doesn't sacrifice comfort. Staff are very accommodating.

• Stayed May 2014, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Marie R
Marie756

Thank you for writing about your time that you spent with us here at the Virginia Hotel & Cottages as well as the Ebbitt Room.

It was such a pleasure to read your comments about out service, staff and our building. We truly appreciate every bit of feedback from our guests. I am so happy we were able to send you home with wonderful memories and we all look forward to welcoming you back to the hotel in the near future!