“Ebbit Room at the Virginia Hotel”
5 of 5 bubbles Review of The Virginia Hotel

The Virginia Hotel
Ranked #9 of 37 Hotels in Cape May
ny
“Ebbit Room at the Virginia Hotel”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 18, 2013

We were pleasantly surprised with our dining experience at the Virginia Hotel. We have been coming to Cape May for years and never ate here. Our server Vince was very pleasant and very good at explaining the menu. The dining room had a great atmosphere with the bar on the side with a piano player. We had our wine on the porch watching the folks wander through town and an occasional horse and buggy going by. We will definitely come back here next summer.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled with family

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (138)
Washington DC, District of Columbia
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 14, 2013

This is a long and detailed review but I wanted to share a real experience staying at this hotel (which I really wanted to like) but can't now that I've stayed there. Overall while I liked the property a lot and enjoyed the location and comfort of the room, I would not return for the reasons I mentioned below. I simply did not find the guest experience inviting and the hotel staff did not make me feel that I will miss coming back to Cape May or the Virginia Hotel! I didn't like that there was no concierge at the property. I was really disappointed when asking to make restaurant reservations that the front desk just gave me the numbers and said "it's better if you call them yourself.” I was not impressed at all with the friendliness of staff. For a luxury boutique hotel I expected much more attentiveness that I've experienced it in other properties but not so much here where most staff seem to be a bit passive, rarely smile and don't ask about the guest's experience at any given point in time or whether they (the guest) needs anything.

An example of the incompetence was that we ran out of the hotel-provided hair conditioner in the room and for 2 days housekeeping never bothered to replace their own empty bottles, in fact they even left them as is, empty, in the shower for two days. We repeatedly asked by phone and twice directly at the front desk to send some to the room and it never happened until I really complained to the front desk and then immediately she pulled out extra ones from a box and gave them to me in my hand as I was supposed to walk out and enjoy the day, instead of sending them up to the room!! Not what I expect from a property like this! The Virginia is branded as a a boutique hotel so these things should not happen. Also, I tried to make reservations at the Ebbit Room when I first arrived and was told (apparently by the manager) that there were no tables available for my entire 4 day stay that accommodates my preferred dinner time or at least +/-1 hour, subsequently I was able to find a timeslot with ease on OpenTable as soon as I went to the room! But I refuse to dine there after being put off already.

Beach service was also served by some (not all) lazy staff who are not very active in helping guests setup at the beach. We were trying to find a spot where we could sit and the guy kept telling us with a tone that we can’t go there or it’s too crowded here, but then when other guests came they apparently set them up where we originally wanted and it wasn’t a problem at all. Also, we would never order any food from the beach menu which was absurdly expensive and I really don’t usually bother too much about the cost of food! But $75 for a burger & fries, chicken salad and some guacamole and juice is mad especially when none of it tasted good and everything was dry and overcooked.

Something else that I thought would be a given in Cape May with all the B&Bs around is to have a good breakfast. Well, the earlier comments I read about the breakfast options were right. It was disappointing to see a breakfast selection which was very limited and doesn't offer much while also restricting each guest to x number of items per person whether its drinks, pastry or whatever. In Cape May where every other hotel is a B&B I was shocked to see the Virginia be so limiting in its breakfast selection and instead inviting guests to have breakfast at the Mad Batter on their own expense (which by the way is also extremely crowded and impossible to find a table with the rush of non-resident customers). Overall, the only thing we really enjoyed was the location/proximity to the beach and downtown area and also staying the Virginia Room which is spacious and also has a very nice balcony to sit outside in the morning and evening hours.

Room Tip: The rooms facing Jackson St. are roomy and nice but very noisy especially at night and people are co...
  • Stayed August 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank aZeus24
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 13, 2013

I am a frequent visitor at both Congress Hall and the Virginia Hotel. The last time, however, we stayed in the Red Cottage, particularly the Windjammer room. Its a tiny room, facing the back of other houses. Unlike what the photos may suggest, you do NOT have access to any living area other than the very small room with the antiquated plumbing in the bath. When we asked why we couldn't go into the living area, we were told we would have to rent out the entire cottage. Its still the same linens and such, but for the money, no thanks.

Room Tip: Get a room in the front of the cottage...
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled with friends
2 Thank Zinniaboo
Allentown, PA
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 10, 2013

For the most part I absolutely loved the hotel. I found the staff to be very friendly and the decor of the the hotel stunning. Seemed more upscale than Congress Hall and catered more to adults. The bed linens were the best that I have experienced in any hotel, anywhere and I really enjoyed the individually served continental breakfasts. The hotel is very pricey, but as an added plus you can also enjoy all of the amenities at the Congress Hall. Two complaints that kept me from giving it a 5 star rating... First, the water pressure and plumbing were a real issue. The water would go from ice cold to scalding hot, I was nearly burned several times and it kept me from enjoying a decent shower during my entire visit which was a problem, the only way to avoid this was to take a bath and the tub was not all that big, so this was a major issue that anyone considering this hotel should be aware of. The other issue for me was the front porch. I really wanted to book this hotel to be able to enjoy sitting out on the porch at night. To me Cape May is all about being able to sit outside and relax on the porch in the evening and listen to the crickets and the horse and carriages going by. Since the hotel has the very popular Ebbit Room in it's lobby, the porch is used every evening for guest of the restaurant to enjoy before and after dinner drinks and appetizers, so during the evening this did not make for a very peaceful setting for hotel guests that just wanted to relax on the front porch, so if a quiet front porch experience is important to you that should be considered. All in all however I really did enjoy my stay and these two issues would not deter me from staying there again.

Room Tip: West side of hotel was very quiet
  • Stayed August 2013, traveled as a couple
North Beach, NJ
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 28, 2013

I have lived in NJ for 25 years and had never been to Cape May before last weekend.
The Virginia and their restaurant The Ebbit Room were everything I had hoped for. Beautiful ,clean, well maintained rooms, and a lovely breakfast included . Easy walk to the beach and all of the shopping Cape May is known for.
My husband and I with another couple could only stay one night but we will definitely be back!

• Stayed July 2013, traveled with friends
Lancaster County
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 25, 2013

This past June was the 13th year that my wife and I spent at the Virginia. From management to valet service, from housekeeping to beach service, from bar staff to servers this hotel is outstanding. My comments are spurred by the earlier comment about honesty on the part of the hotel staff. This past June, our anniversary, we forgot to pack a gift I had purchased for my wife. Upon our return home there was a call from the hotel saying that they had found the gift and would ship it to us immediately. Guess what - we had it the next day. Thank you Justin, and staff, for an incredible stay.

Room Tip: If you have never stayed at the hotel I suggest you ask questions when booking. All rooms are great...
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled as a couple
2 Thank The-Connector
London, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 12, 2013

we stayed at this hotel in June ,we was greeted by very nice staff at reception, our room was very clean, tidy and comfortable.The bathroom very clean and lovely soft white towels and toiletries were plentiful.
i had breakfast on the verander and thought there was plenty of choice on the continental breakfast menu, however some people may find it not enough for there greedy appetites.
Our stay was very pleasant and would definitely come back again.
if your are looking for a nice relaxing weekend away this is the place.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled with friends