“Wonderful stay at The Virginia Hotel in Cape May”
5 of 5 bubbles Review of The Virginia Hotel

The Virginia Hotel
Ranked #9 of 37 Hotels in Cape May
Summit, New Jersey
“Wonderful stay at The Virginia Hotel in Cape May”
Reviewed September 27, 2012

My husband and I just enjoyed another terrific stay at The Virginia Hotel in Cape May, where we have been guests for the past ten years. As usual, we welcomed back warmly, had a beautiful room and enjoyed the amenities that make The Virginia so restful and special: bed turn down service; clean towels twice daily; on-beach chairs, lounges, towels and umbrellas to name a few of our favorites. We also liked the new choices added to their breakfast menu and had fun trying out the new items.
We are looking forward to returning in 2013!

Room Tip: Rooms on the side of the building may be quieter than those facing the street.
  • Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (138)
Warren, New Jersey
Reviewed September 26, 2012

Not sure what these other guests experiences were like who are bad mouthing but I just returned from a weekend away with my sister and found it to be lovely. Yes the hotel is small as someone else mentioned but it adds to the charm. During my stay I found the hotel to be clean, comfortable and right in the center of everything. The staff was friendly and courteous although somewhat hurried but professional none the less. The beach service is fantastic and we loved the breakfast...I recommend having it on the porch if the weather permits. Overall we found the Virginia to be first rate and have already booked again for next year.

Room Tip: We found the 3rd floor to be very quiet.
  • Stayed September 2012, traveled with family
Reading
Reviewed September 26, 2012

We found reception a bit brusque on arrival and had to prise details of self parking – not sure what the motivation for that was. Our room was on the third floor so we needed help with bags which was supplied by pleasant young man (no elevator).

Bedroom (308) was a reasonable size with comfortable bed and pillows. However the bed was extremely bouncy – made me feel that I was in a waterbed anytime my wife turned in the night! The bathroom seemed to be above the ice machine on the second floor and consequently tended to vibrate from time to time! The sleeping area was nice and quiet though. Deciphering the instructions for operating the television was a challenge.

Breakfast did not impress – one had to make a choice each night from a pretty limited selection which was then delivered on a tray in the morning to room, reception area or front veranda. Website does say “continental breakfast” and it certainly was that.

Hotel is in a great location downtown but is certainly not cheap. I’m not sure what I actually got for the premium I paid (a character building??). If I were visiting Cape May again I think I would probably shop around.

3 Thank El_Timon
Reviewed September 25, 2012 via mobile

My husband and I made our first visit to cape May last week and stayed at the Virginia Hotel. Our room and especially the bathroom were too small. the Ebbitt room food was good BUT the atmosphere was too loud. we won't be returning.

Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple
VirginiaMGT, General Manager at The Virginia Hotel, responded to this review, September 26, 2012
Dear Guest,
I am sorry to hear that you found our rooms too small and the dining room too noisy. I am disappointed to hear that these factors, in an otherwise flawless stay, would cause you not to return in the future. I do admit the lively, upbeat atmosphere of our dining room can be too much for some who maybe used to more tranquil settings. Please know we are working on solutions to control the acoustics so as to avoid noise issue moving forward. If you were to change your mind, I would be happy to assist you in personally overseeing your reservation to make sure that you received a more spacious accommodation. I hope you reconsider and I hope to one day welcome you back.
Collingswood, New Jersey
Reviewed September 24, 2012

My partner and I have stayed here a couple of times even though we own a summer home in the area. We faithfully have patronized the Ebbit Room and the bar at the hotel for their happy hours. This past summer, we ordered drinks and food and sat on the front porch. Upon receiving our check, we noticed they charged us full price for our wine. When this was brought to the servers attention, she said they no longer did happy hour prices on Sundays. When we told her the sign outside said it did, she told us this was a mistake.

We emailed the hotel and never received a response. We then wrote to the corporation and CEO and never received a response. We use to own an innin Vermont and prided ourselves on outstanding customer service. Even when the customer was wrong, we listened and addressed concerns. We feels this hotel along with the Blue Pig, Congress Hall and the Rusty Nail have slipped on customer service. We guess now it is all about the buck!

• Stayed August 2012, traveled as a couple
3 Thank villaguys
Dear Sir,
I am very sorry for the lack of correspondence. I can not speak for the letters but I was unaware of any email sent to us regarding your stay. Please know, that it is of the greatest importance for us to not only listen to our guests feed back but acknowledge that feed back in a timely and professional manager. If you would be so kind as to contact me directly, I would like to discuss the issues you experienced during your stay. I may be reached directly at jmogavero@virginiahotel.com or at 609.884.5700. Again, my apologies for our delayed response and I hope to speak with you soon.
NY
Reviewed September 11, 2012

We stayed at the Virginia this summer and have for a few years now..This time the hotel is starting to show its age and I have read in previous reviews that the hote managment is aware of it...that being said we stayed in a room with 2 beds and as preparing to sleeping my husband noticed the sheets on one bed were "dirty" like someone rode a bicycle over them...and of course we stayed in the other bed and notified the front desk the next day and they were promptly changed..headboard on bed falling off but we fixed that..bathrooms could use.updating...some wifi issues with ipad but eventually ironed out...they changed the breakfast from the previous summer..not as good...that all being said..we will most likely return because the pros out weigh the cons..love beach service and all the other charm of the hotel of course the location!

• Stayed July 2012, traveled as a couple
2 Thank youwhoNY
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania
Reviewed September 7, 2012

Just came back from a weekend getaway with my wife and we had a blast! The hotel is pretty much in the center of everything so once you valet (free-parking!) you can walk to everything. Beach service was excellent although the weather was not the greatest, the desk and housekeeping staff was polite and always right there if we needed anything...which we did. Loved our room. It was a cool mix of Victorian with a little retro. I will say we stayed on the first floor and at night you could here some noise but nothing to keep you up at night. My only regret was not eating in the restaurant as I heard it is wonderful. We will definitely be back.

1 Thank langmike249