“Wonderful stay at a beautiful hotel!”
Review of The Grand Hotel

The Grand Hotel
Ranked #12 of 37 Hotels in Cape May
Bergen County, NJ
“Wonderful stay at a beautiful hotel!”
Reviewed September 28, 2010

I am still trying to figure out which Grand Hotel all of the negative reviews are talking about because it isn't the Grand Hotel in Cape May, NJ. We booked this hotel before reading the reviews from a recommendation of a friend who's parents live in Cape May who told us the hotel was beautiful. After reading the reviews, I literally was having panic attacks, especially because we were 1 day away from our trip and we could not get our money back from the hotel. My husband and I decided to go anyway, check out the hotel and if it was as bad as all the reviews said it was, we would just eat the cost and find another hotel. We arrived, left our bags in the car, a proceeded thru the doors. I looked at my husband and said sarcastically "THIS is the disgusting hotel everyone is talking about?". The hotel couldn't have been more beautiful. The staff was as friendly and welcoming as could be. We went up to our room and found a beautifully decorated CLEAN room with NO SMELL what-so-ever!!! The beds were amazing..very comfortable...our view of the ocean was amazing. I seriously have no idea where the bad reviews came from. I found the hotel to be in no need of updates. Okay well maybe I am lying....there was about a half inch or so of peeling wallpaper right above the door to the stairwell...and if you stood right next to the door and looked up with a flashlight..you could see it. And yes...that was sarcasm! DO NOT BE AFRAID TO BOOK YOUR STAY AT THE GRAND HOTEL!! It is truly a beautiful hotel!

• Stayed September 2010, traveled as a couple
2 Thank firechick23

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (296)
  • Polish first
NJ
Reviewed September 22, 2010

Stayed at the Grand in a 2 story townhouse in September.
Positives:
1. Our view from our room was fantastic. The hotel is right across from the beach, and we had a direct view. We also had a balcony which was so nice to sit on, read a book, and watch the waves.
2. Has an indoor and outdoor pool, which is RARE in Cape May. Both pools are large and very nice.
3. The restaurant, Hemmingway's was great. It was one of our best dinners of the week. The breakfast buffet was also very good.
4. Very nice housekeeper who did a good job each day. She even washed our dishes. Plenty of towels.
5. Nice size fridge in our room.
6. We had plenty of space in our room for 2 adults and one toddler.

Negatives
1. Rooms are outdated.
2. Common areas (hallways, parking lot, areas near the elevators) were dirty. I often saw small pieces of trash on the floors and grounds.
3. Front desk was NOT welcoming when we checked in. NO SMILE AT ALL and barely made eye contact. Didn't wish me a pleasant stay.
4. You have to pay for the entire visit on Check-in, which I have never seen before.
5. It's $10 a day for internet access.

Overall, we enjoyed our stay, but I will probably stay somewhere else next time. We went in Sept and the price of the room was practically half the price for August. I don't think it would have been worth the price in August.

Stayed September 2010, traveled as a couple
1 Thank amytz
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania
Reviewed September 20, 2010

Traveled to the this hotel for a family wedding. The staff was not welcoming or helpful. It was overall pretty clean but I would not recommend this hotel.

• Stayed September 2010, traveled with family
2 Thank McMerkin

Travelers are raving about these Cape May hotels

new york city, ny
Reviewed September 14, 2010

We are fairly regular vacationers in Cape May. Although we usually do a cottage rental this year we decided to do a hotel. I'm glad we chose this hotel. It was comfortable and clean. We chose a room with a kitchen which was perfect for us. A big plus for us this time (since my son was somewhat sick) was the indoor pool. The location was good since it was towards the end of the boardwalk it was quieter but still close enough to almost everything. I thought the staff was exceptional. Our housekeeper was friendly and very accomodating. We had a problem with the bathroom sink and maintenance was up there and fixed it in a very timely manner. There were only 2 minor negatives: 1. Internet service was not free and in fact was somewhat pricey. 2. They had not converted all their TVs to be digital so the selection of channels was limited even though they had cable/dish/whatever it was. I'd certainly consider staying here again when we vacation in Cape May.

• Stayed July 2010, traveled with family
NJ, USA
Reviewed September 7, 2010

Get there early & request balcony closest to the ocean. There are NO ocean front, they're all ocean view from side of bld. If you get a high floor north side close to ocean you can see the sky brighten each morning @ sunrise. Fitness ctr is larger than expected. When you checkout be sure to get a key to lockers by indoor pool bathrooms & key to pool - so you can shower after the beach.. Staff was NOT forthcoming w info. They're the only hotel we 've stayed in that did not ask how was the stay, when we checked out. Rooms were roomy & fine; nice coffee/tea setup in the a.m. Outdoor pool was warm-80. Just across from the beach. Good long walk into town. Was good for the price. But, there may be better out there that are truly ocean front for same $?

• Stayed September 2010, traveled as a couple
1 Thank jpc13
union
Reviewed August 30, 2010

When making reservations I called and spoke to a hotel representative confirming details of room specifically, room accommodations. I was assured (by Joan) the room I was considering accommodated 4. Upon arrival and check-in we noticed the room had only one King bed; however, our reservation clearly stated the stay was for 2 adults and 2 children. After being bounced around to two other 'hideous' rooms (on the run down side of the hotel building), my family and I decided it wasn't worth the trouble anymore and we were all willing to take the 3+ hour trip back home. Once I explained to the front desk the situation was unacceptable and disappointing, we would just take our full refund back... and that’s when WE were told, “they do not give 'any' refunds!!!” I fully understand every company needs to have policies in place but in this particular situation, we were misinformed by the staff . There was no empathy, it was just a corporate attitude with a VERY arrogant night shift manager (Michael) with absolutely NO customer service skills or tactics! To add, the room was pricey, there is no coffee machine, ice bucket is truely just a bucket and bathroom was deplorable... hair in the tub, stained bath mat & towels, and pubic hair on wash cloth. NEVER again will I ever consider this place and I HIGHLY DISCOURAGE anyone else from staying here!!!

• Stayed August 2010, traveled with family
2 Thank pl2010_aug
Collegeville, Pa
Reviewed August 28, 2010

My husband and I booked this hotel for one night for a wedding that, unfortunately was cancelled eleven days prior to our stay.This hotel was the only one in town that had a vacancy for that date so I booked it online. When I found out that the wedding was cancelled, I called the hotel and explained the situation and was told that I could not get a refund. We decided to go anyway and make the most of it. The room was clean, except for the carpet which was stained and dirty looking. There was a horrible smell in the room which seemed to emanate from the air conditioner. The shower curtain had cigarette burn holes in it even though it was a non-smoking hotel. When I opened the door on the sink cabinet, it fell off and was hanging by the hinge. They definately need to do some up-dating as the television had to be twenty years old. The "ice bucket" was an old plastic bowl that should have been in the trash. The beds were very uncomfortable. We went to dinner, and when we came back there was no place for us to park. We went to the front desk and asked where we could park and was told that there was parking in the back of the hotel. We drove around there and it was dark and no where near our room. Two hundred and fifty one dollars a night and we had to park on the street. The only good thing about this hotel was its proximity to the beach.

• Stayed August 2010, traveled as a couple