“run....run away fast”
Review of The Grand Hotel

The Grand Hotel
Ranked #12 of 37 Hotels in Cape May
Reviewed August 5, 2010

ocean view room had a view of a glass structure. had to wait for coffee every morning. music in the lobby is from a bad movie, and employees clearly could have cared less about anything. too far away from the main attractions and town

• Stayed: July 2010, traveled with friends
2  Thank djpruby
There are newer reviews for The Grand Hotel

Reviewed August 3, 2010

Well title tells it all. We were vendors for a wedding this weekend and this hotel staff (front desk/reservations and managers of) seem clueless on customer service and wedding sense.
Nice looking place and across from beach. I guess that's why they think they can treat people like crap.
I called this hotel for a room, asked if they had a wedding rate or vendor rate. One person said hay didn't BUT had a room for a decent rate. Put me on hold someone else picked up and rate was never available. .
I asked for manager and got hung p on. Manager returned one of my 3 calls to almost scold me. poor attitude. God what does it take to say no sorry or....

I'll leave at this.......If how people talk and treat you does not matter, stay here.

Funny thing I deal with brides that ask about hotels to have a wedding at in Cape May from time to time. Never here.

• Stayed: July 2010, traveled on business
2  Thank Jeolive
Reviewed August 3, 2010

Our experience at the Grand was excellent. This is a perfect little beach hotel, built 'back-in-the-day' and obviously redone in all the right places. The check-in process was quick and painless (yeah, so she wasn't fake and all smiles - she was quick and pleasant). The room was clean - smelled like it was cleaned, carpet was in great shape. We had two sinks - one outside the bathroom and one in the bathroom. We had a refrigerator, microwave. I was able to use whatever counter space i had for my daughters bottles and baby feeding stuff, and my husband's toiletries. My toiletries hung in a travel bag in the bathroom - why am i telling you this? Because you need to understand that this place is great - your experience is what you make of it. Some people expect too much.
OTHER POINTS - Pool was fine except for another guest deciding to poop in the pool. Hotel is across the street from the beach. Perfect. Walking/Trolley distance to town. Daily maid service - excellent. Let them do their job. YOU MUST EAT AT HEMINGWAYS - I felt like I was eating fine dining every night. They DO NOT charge for ice. There is a coin slot near the machine but if you press the button for ice without paying - THE ICE WILL COME OUT!!! Our room was on the second floor - at check in they asked us what floor we preferred - I said second - just in case there was elevator troubles. No elevator troubles during my stay. No room service. No coffee in room - BUT - If you ASK, Hemingways has a small 'take away' coffee cart behind the hostess' stand. It was there EVERY morning. I'm not sure what they charged just for coffee or refills- but since we had breakfast there, it was part of the breakfast buffet. AND the MOST important to me - this place is VERY CHILD FRIENDLY!!! The staff couldn't be more accomodating @ the restaurant or elsewhere. If you had a bad experience, sorry - but dont ruin it for anyone else.

1  Thank NYCTravelMomKS
Reviewed August 3, 2010

We (me, husband and 21 month old daughter) stayed M-TH nights in July; we stayed in one of the efficiencies (King bed, with kitchenette) on the 2nd floor facing the ocean. The room looks like it had been renovated - granite counter top in the kitchenette, with a 2 burner stove, nice-sized microwave, and medium refridgerator. The bed was very comfortable - I have to say, I was leary of the outdoor walkways, thinking it would be noisy, but it was really very quiet. The room was very clean, and perfect for what we needed (my daugher's pack-n-play fit nicely in the corner, and we still had room to move around the room). There are lots of great family activities - a magician twice a week, music at the outdoor pool, movie nights, etc - it is a family place, but not overrun with kids, the staff are professional, accomodating, and very friendly. We walked by a lot of the other hotels, and I have to say this is one of the better locations - a bit quieter and less conjested than the locations closer to town. I noted a lot of folks complaining in reviews about parking - we had no problems finding a spot within the hotel, and always noticed one or two open spots, but perhaps that's because we were there during the week, versus the weekend? We didn't drive much - mostly we took the trolley, which does a loop into town and back - it's only $1 each way, but the hotel also has free vouchers at the front desk - would definitely recommend - parking in town in the evening is a nightmare! We really had a fantastic time at the Grand, and look forward to returning again next year. Oh! Almost forgot - they have a breakfast buffet at Hemingways for $10 per person - and you can get made-to-order omlettes - great selection (pancakes, waffles, eggs, meats, cereals, etc).

2  Thank kikibat
Reviewed August 1, 2010

We stay here every year and every year its the same. Wonderful service, clean rooms, pleasant staff, perfect location. The one bad thing.....kids behavior in the pools. We witnessed a mother allowed her kids to eat ice cream in the jacuzzi dripping it into the water and leave the wrapper on the side of the pool and yes she saw it! A mother allowing her toddler to tip his sippy cup upside down in the indoor pool, and a mother tell her child to wash the popsicle off her hands in the pool! Children throwing each other in the air doing flips within three feet of an elderly couple trying to enjoy the pool. The same elderly couple almost got hit in the head several times with a ball they were throwing hard at each other. If people would parent their children properly this place would be perfect. Not everyone thinks your kids are wonderful some people are trying to enjoy their vacation and relax. Kids will be kids noone expects them to be angles but its getting to be too much. We are second guess staying here next summer and doing the B & B where there are no children and YES we are parents ourselves! Also we heard children screaming in the halls at midnight and the parents did nothing. There needs to be a lifeguard at the pools to control bad behavior since parents wont!

• Stayed: June 2010, traveled as a couple
2  Thank TanksMom
Reviewed July 31, 2010

The service at this hotel is very bad. We had a room with the elevator right outside and an elevator alarm would go off every 10 mins or so day and night. We complained several times and nothing was done until the 3rd day. We had to get out of bed every 10 mins for 2 nights and press the elevator button to make it stop. The front desk kept telling us it was fixed and it wasn't. We asked to be moved but they wouldn't do that either. When we finally checked out at 6:00 am the person on the desk was asleep at the desk. The ceiling tiles in our room were falling down and the pool didn't have any towels available.

2  Thank jjjmmethuen
Reviewed July 22, 2010

We stayed at the Grand Hotel 6 years ago, before we had a family. Cape May is largely a family place. If you're looking to party,Wildwood or the boardwalk by the Jersey Shore are good bets. The Grand Hotel is mostly a family place. There were some people smoking outside THEIR room, but that didnt affect me or my kids. It wasnt like there were people just hanging out. It's a quiet hotel at night. The Hotel has a pool (and in indoor pool as well) and a great restaurant (Hemingways) which is as good now as it was 6 years ago. The beach is footsteps away. My son spilled his milk on the comforter and the maids took it right away and washed it. We left them a nice tip, they were all wonderful. I cant agree with the bad reviews, except to say that some people expect a ridiculous amount and want to pay nothing. We had a great experience 6 years ago and again this July.

1  Thank lovedlbi