“Nice, but a few things you should know...”
Review of The Grand Hotel

The Grand Hotel
Ranked #13 of 37 Hotels in Cape May
North Wales, Pennsylvania
“Nice, but a few things you should know...”
Reviewed July 4, 2006

My fiancee and I booked the last room available at the Grand over the 4th of July weekend.
The location was great for us. If you want to be close to the shopping and nightlife, but don't want to be kept awake by the crowds, look into the Grand. The beach isn't more than 50 steps away from the main entrance.

We had an "oceanview grand" room, which is actually a direct view of the Palace hotel next door and a diagonal view of the ocean. When I first opened the door to the balcony, I panicked a little because all I saw was the Palace hotel and then I turned to my right and breathed a sigh of relief. It was actually nice to have it on a side street because there was no street noise and all you could hear was ocean.

A few more tips:

*Our room did not have a hairdryer, so bring one just in case.
*The website says there is a gift shop. Sorry, not anymore.
*The shower might have hot and cold flashes, but you would have that at most hotels.
*They do not have room service.
*The breakfast at Ballyhoo's is wonderful. Eggs Benedict, fresh waffles, french toast etc.

The fact that it was oceanfront made the hotel worth it. If you are looking for a nice, clean place to rest after a day at the beach, check out the Grand hotel.

• Stayed July 2006
13 Thank ValenciaCalling

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (304)
  • Polish first
Brooklyn, New York
Reviewed June 18, 2006

Took my husband here for his 40th birthday. The room was nice, very clean and the only negative thing I could say is that I wished they had a coffee maker in the room. I needed extra pillows and within minutes, someone brought them up. The pool was lovely, quiet and so was the indoor pool. Ballyhoo's - the restaurant tied to the hotel was great. The best buffet breakfast for the price. They also have other buffet dinners on various nights of the week as well. You can't beat breakfast for $8.99 per person. We had lunch at Ballyhoo's and it was excellent. For dinner, we went elsewhere (Oyster Bay) which was also fantastic. The beach was a stone's throw from the hotel. Literally, across the street. Grab your stuff, head out and enjoy. We are seriously considering coming back for a longer stay with the kids because the place was very family friendly and there is enough to keep them occupied for a few days. I'd definitely visit here again. I totally enjoyed my time as their guest. Very relaxing atmosphere which is what we wanted.

• Stayed June 2006
24 Thank Margaret M
Reviewed June 11, 2006

My girlfriend and I stayed at the Grand for the third year in a row and had a wonderful time there. But be advised: Renovations are still under way during the first week of June just about every year. There is often painting and carpentry going on somewhere. Aside from that, the newly renovated HEATED indoor pool and jacuzzi are the best anywhere. The design of the pool with its decor takes you back to another time. This is a real plus when the weather is bad. The two-story townhouse suites are my choice of rooms. The private balconies are the best feature. The only downside to our stay was the racket created by the endless repairs that this old hotel endures. I hope they will end soon. I look forward to going back again.

• Stayed June 2006
26 Thank A TripAdvisor Member
finleyville
Reviewed May 30, 2006

I reserved a room at The Grand back in March for Memorial Day weekend and was very pleased with how the reservation was handled. They were so eager to please me. WHAT A DISAPPOINTMENT when I arrived. I asked for a room with a private balcony and was put into a room with a common balcony and enclosed in glass with a sliding door that did not work. Called the manager and she would not do anything for me stated they were fully booked, she said I got what I paid for, I told her money was not an object I wanted a private balcony. She said she would have her boss call me. Still waiting to hear from him. I called the front desk 3 times to have them come to fix the glass door. I was told that the glass enclosure was designed that only a few would open. Which was a lie, the frame was bent and this was why the door would not work. The window in my room was painted shut. I went to close the curtain and when I pulled the drawstring it fell out. My husband had to restring it just to close our drapes. Went to breakfast the next morning and the hostess proceeded to set us at a table that was so close to the buffet that I could reach across my table to get the food. I asked her to seat us elsewhere and she was a tad bit upset with us. She said alot of people want to be close to the buffet, I said this is true but I did not want to be part of the buffet. Our room was clean but it had a strong bleach odor. I am sure they cater to your every whim if you are a large group but for us everyday people we are just not that fortunate. I understand there has been renovations. A GALLON OF PAINT AND A BUCKET OF BLEACH. It is a shame to have a hotel of this stature in such a wonderful area as Cape May. I will stay elsewhere. I learned a very big lesson. Be smart! Stay somewhwere else.

• Stayed May 2006
11 Thank denicrow

Travelers are raving about these Cape May hotels

Reviewed May 22, 2006

We took a Ladies' Retreat to the Grand Hotel the end of April. The service was superb--we were treated like Queens! Their indoor pool has beautiful lounges and painted wall murals. The rooms in the hotel have all been upgraded and nicely appointed. The conference facilities are great and any inquiry of needed items was immediately met by their gracious staff. For example. "I need a DVD player and TV"--moments later it was in place! The front desk handled our large group (400) very quickly and efficiently at check-in. The food is outstanding and there's plenty of it! The views of the ocean are great! The little shops are fun. You can visit the historic lighthouse. You can tour the grand old Victorian homes. The trolley tours are informative. We are definitely returning next year!

33 Thank A TripAdvisor Member
Reviewed May 9, 2006

completed renovations have improved the public areas
staff very warm and responsive
great place from which to launch and end the sampling of Jazz venues for a night
easy ride down the Garden State Parkway to your destination

Stayed April 2006
36 Thank A TripAdvisor Member
Reviewed April 24, 2006

My husband and I just celebrated our 25th wedding anniversary in Cape May. We stayed at the Grand Hotel(the Grand Rhapsody week-end special). We had a wonderful time there. The staff was more than accomadating and our room was very clean. The restaurant(Ballyhoo's)was the best part of the whole week-end. We loved the breakfast buffet. We also had dinner there. The food was excellent. It was our first trip to Cape May and we do plan on going back, and we also plan on staying at The Grand again.

40 Thank A TripAdvisor Member