“Better Than Expected”

Ranked #13 of 37 Hotels in Cape May
NEW JERSEY
“Better Than Expected”
Reviewed March 6, 2006

We went to the Grand Hotel on the weekend of March 3rd - March 6th to stay for a cheer competition in Wildwood. After reading some of the reviews I have to admit I was a bit nervous about staying there. Upon check in my worries began to subside very quickly. We stayed in a townhouse and it was wonderful! The room was clean and very comfortable. The bedroom is upstairs and very roomy! We had a kitchenette that was stocked with all kinds of cooking utensils so we were able to make our meals on Friday and Staurday instead of going out. Other members on the team went to Ballyhoo and siad the food was very good. The pool is very spacious and very warm and so it the hot tub -again very clean. The staff were very friendly and very helpful. I think the hotel would be absolutely gorgeous during the summertime. If I was going back to Cape May for any reason - I would not even hesitate to stay at The Grand Hotel again!

• Stayed March 2006
52 Thank db16

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (302)
  • Polish first
Reviewed February 13, 2006

Without a doubt this was one of the worst hotel experiences ever. The room was DIRTY and no one cared. The toilet leaked and ran and didn't work half the time, and one once cared. The pool was filthy. The staff was sullen. The lobby was dingy.The noise from the parking lot was awful. The furniture looked like it was rejected from a thrift store. And it was expensive although anything more than $20. was too much - a Motel Six would have been better. There are so many charming places in Cape May - this however is not one of them.

• Stayed May 2005
5 Thank A TripAdvisor Member

Travelers are raving about these Cape May hotels

Connecticut
Reviewed January 30, 2006

This hotel is impressive when you see it from the street. My family and I were excited when we saw the facade of the hotel. Can't judge a book by its cover. The staff may be friendly but the hotel rooms are so disgustingly dirty it's disgraceful. And it's not even the poor maids' faults! The place is practically falling down around their ears. I don't understand how the owners can allow drenched ceiling tiles to leak into a corner, an ant problem (I was told "Everyone in Cape May has ants" - yes, people occasionally see an ant here and there but the SWARMS all over my windowsill and the ants I found in the clothes I put in their drawers (oh yes, IN my clothes) had me freaking out. Do yourself a favor and stay elsewhere.

• Stayed August 2005
5 Thank VL199999
Reviewed January 24, 2006

We have stayed at a lot of Hotels in Cape May over the years, and found the Grand to be an exceptional one. We really enjoyed our stay. The room offered a great view of the ocean. It was clean and well furnished. If it had been warmer, I would have really used the balcony as a great place to relax and see the sights. The hotel staff was very curteous and helpful. The inhouse restaurant (Ballyhoo's)was very busy the Friday night we were there, but the service & food were first rate. The menu is outstanding! The indoor pool was another great place to relax and have a dip. The wicker chairs at poolside are very, very comfortable. The hotel is going to finish a year long rennovation in the Spring I was told, and from what I saw it has been well spent. We look forward to returning and enjoying it this Summer. The Grand really offers a terrific value for the money.

• Stayed December 2005
62 Thank A TripAdvisor Member
NJ
Reviewed January 21, 2006

My husband and I stayed at the Grand for 6 nights with our 7 month old daughter. The pool was great and the front desk day staff was wonderful. When we got in our room there were tiles missing from the ceiling, some of which fell on the floor and sink area and left a huge mess. We called and they cleaned it right a way. The first night there was a MOUSE in our room. We called the front desk and they told us they would find us another room (it was 2am) but we were only going to be able to stay in that room for the one night. They didn't help us move (haveing a baby you have a lot of stuff) and our child was sleeping. The new room was ok, but it took 3 phone calls to get it straight that we were not moving again(which we had to miss our boat ride to see the whale/dolphins it took so long to rectify). There was no compensation or apologies from the management about this inconvenience. When we asked if we got anything off our bill, they offered us a 20 buck savings for breakfast at their restaurant, which when we went to eat, they were closed for over 1-1/2 hours till lunch. When I told the manager that, she really didn't seem to care!!! TOO BAD, we go Cape May every year, and we will NEVER, EVER recommend this place or go back there again!!! There are too many other nicer places to stay.

Stayed August 2005
8 Thank SammysMommy
Reviewed January 13, 2006

We stayed at the Grand in december for a weekend. The place was great! Room was clean and up to date. (redone)Staff was very helpful and friendly, and resturant was excellent! The grand,is the only place in cape may with an indoor pool, a bonus in the winter in cape may.

• Stayed December 2005
57 Thank A TripAdvisor Member
Reviewed September 27, 2005

I walked in the room, and they had the a/c blasting. There was condensation and thick, black mold covering the vent, wall, and wallpaper border. The panels in the celing had mold too. I turned off the a/c and went out for an hour or two, when I came back, the mirrors on the wall had condensation on them, proving the entire area was wet. The staff was very accomodating and nice about finding me another room (after the third room, I settled with one with only minimal mold). I was told that they always have a problem, because they're near the beach and try to keep up with it, but still! I was also told, "don't worry, it's not the deadly kind". Great. Are you an expert in indoor air quality? I'm in the environmental field, and I know that any mold is bad mold. I am also pregnant, which made me a bit more sensitive about the health issue. They really need to rectify this issue ASAP as they are putting people's health at risk!!!!

• Stayed September 2005, traveled on business