“Great Time at the Grand Hotel !”
Review of The Grand Hotel

The Grand Hotel
Ranked #13 of 37 Hotels in Cape May
Basking Ridge, NJ
Reviewed January 24, 2006

We have stayed at a lot of Hotels in Cape May over the years, and found the Grand to be an exceptional one. We really enjoyed our stay. The room offered a great view of the ocean. It was clean and well furnished. If it had been warmer, I would have really used the balcony as a great place to relax and see the sights. The hotel staff was very curteous and helpful. The inhouse restaurant (Ballyhoo's)was very busy the Friday night we were there, but the service & food were first rate. The menu is outstanding! The indoor pool was another great place to relax and have a dip. The wicker chairs at poolside are very, very comfortable. The hotel is going to finish a year long rennovation in the Spring I was told, and from what I saw it has been well spent. We look forward to returning and enjoying it this Summer. The Grand really offers a terrific value for the money.

• Stayed: December 2005
62  Thank A TripAdvisor Member
Write a ReviewReviews (1,359)

Reviewed January 21, 2006

My husband and I stayed at the Grand for 6 nights with our 7 month old daughter. The pool was great and the front desk day staff was wonderful. When we got in our room there were tiles missing from the ceiling, some of which fell on the floor and sink area and left a huge mess. We called and they cleaned it right a way. The first night there was a MOUSE in our room. We called the front desk and they told us they would find us another room (it was 2am) but we were only going to be able to stay in that room for the one night. They didn't help us move (haveing a baby you have a lot of stuff) and our child was sleeping. The new room was ok, but it took 3 phone calls to get it straight that we were not moving again(which we had to miss our boat ride to see the whale/dolphins it took so long to rectify). There was no compensation or apologies from the management about this inconvenience. When we asked if we got anything off our bill, they offered us a 20 buck savings for breakfast at their restaurant, which when we went to eat, they were closed for over 1-1/2 hours till lunch. When I told the manager that, she really didn't seem to care!!! TOO BAD, we go Cape May every year, and we will NEVER, EVER recommend this place or go back there again!!! There are too many other nicer places to stay.

Stayed: August 2005
8  Thank SammysMommy
Reviewed January 13, 2006

We stayed at the Grand in december for a weekend. The place was great! Room was clean and up to date. (redone)Staff was very helpful and friendly, and resturant was excellent! The grand,is the only place in cape may with an indoor pool, a bonus in the winter in cape may.

• Stayed: December 2005
57  Thank A TripAdvisor Member
NJ
Reviewed September 27, 2005

I walked in the room, and they had the a/c blasting. There was condensation and thick, black mold covering the vent, wall, and wallpaper border. The panels in the celing had mold too. I turned off the a/c and went out for an hour or two, when I came back, the mirrors on the wall had condensation on them, proving the entire area was wet. The staff was very accomodating and nice about finding me another room (after the third room, I settled with one with only minimal mold). I was told that they always have a problem, because they're near the beach and try to keep up with it, but still! I was also told, "don't worry, it's not the deadly kind". Great. Are you an expert in indoor air quality? I'm in the environmental field, and I know that any mold is bad mold. I am also pregnant, which made me a bit more sensitive about the health issue. They really need to rectify this issue ASAP as they are putting people's health at risk!!!!

• Stayed: September 2005, traveled on business
5  Thank A TripAdvisor Member
Reviewed September 23, 2005

We stayed at the Grand for a long weekend in a regular standard room. It was right above the lobby. I was surprised to find that the room was clean, fresh smelling and newly tastefully decorated. The pools were beautiful. We didn't get to use the indoor pool, but WOW...how beautiful! We ate breakfast twice in their resturant and the food was good.

This motel would not suite me for a honeymoon, but it was very nice for family fun at the NJ shore. Most of the Cape May B & B's will not allow children, so they're not an option for most families. The Grand is located right accross from the beach and in a safe area for children. I give it 2 thumbs up!

• Stayed: September 2005
57  Thank CarmelaPA
Bethlehem, PA
Reviewed September 12, 2005

We just returned from a wonderful stay at the Grand Hotel in Cape May. I read several reviews after booking my trip and I was terrified that the hotel was going to be disgusting. It was not. Our carpeting was new, the room was freshly painted, the bathroom looked new I am not sure what everyone is complaining about. My standards I must admit are not as high when I visit the Jersey Shore as it is when I visit other places, like Mexico, Bermuda or Florida, but the room was very well kept as well as the pool areas. The maid cleaned everyday and even vacuumed the outside our room. The microwave in the kitchen was new, the mini fridge worked fine and there was even a little stove to cook on. The location of this hotel is great, the beach is beautiful. Both of their pools are immaculant. Don't let anyone try to scare you into not staying here, It's not the Ritz or a Disney Hotel which I am a big fan of, but it is really nice. It was not the least bit discusting. Go and enjoy your stay in Cape May at the Grand, you will be glad you did. We are definetly coming back next year!

• Stayed: September 2005
56  Thank A TripAdvisor Member
Maryland
Reviewed September 5, 2005

This hotel was listed as a 2-star, so we didn't expect opulence. But for $170/night it was a bit shabby.

The door to our room opened onto an outdoor hallway, so we really couldn't relax outside the room like we could have had it been a balcony. The room had a little fridge and a stove, but no coffee pot.

We didn't notice the bad, musty smell that some people complained about, but that may vary depending on which room you're in.

The pool was pretty nice - there was no lack of lounge chairs. In fact, you have to keep tripping over them to walk around the pool. They had a DJ who blasted schmaltzy classic rock and Beach Boys-type stuff. The music was OK, but way too loud.

We did hear a lot of people around the pool complaining that the rooms that they got were nothing like the ones they had reserved. Our room was pretty much what we thought it would be, but it wasn't ready on time. We had to wait an extra 1.5 hours for it, which was no fun with a cranky toddler. They did let us check out an hour late though.

The staff was fairly friendly, but all in all for that kind of money we prefer La Mer or the Montreal Inn.

• Stayed: August 2005, traveled on business