“Great Family Hotel”
Review of The Grand Hotel

The Grand Hotel
Ranked #13 of 37 Hotels in Cape May
Reviewed July 23, 2013

We have stayed at The Grand over 10 times. It is a great family hotel. Parts of it have been remodeled. I recommend when making your reservation you ask to stay in the main building. Those rooms have been redone. This is a shore hotel. It is not overly fancy and parts are a bit dated. However, it is definitely the best value in Cape May. Especially if you stay on a Rhapsody package off season. (two night package which includes dinner and breakfast at Hemingway's)
The indoor pool is lovely, as is the outdoor. There is poolside bar and food service at the outdoor pool in the summer. Hemingway's restaurant is also very good and has a fantastic breakfast buffet. Hotel is directly across from the beach and there is a trolley that stops in front of the hotel that goes to Washington Square Mall.

• Stayed: October 2012, traveled with family
1  Thank Chris1202Howell

Reviewed July 22, 2013

I like the location of this hotel because it is about 0.5 miles from the boardwalk and about 1 mile from downtown cape may shopping. The free parking at the hotel is good if you can find a spot. At times I had to drive around and around until someone left their spot. The rooms are large and even though I was in the back of the hotel I had a view of the ocean from my deck. I didn't try the free breakfast buffet because I was always up and gone before 8 am. The front desk was helpful when needed. The ladies in housekeepping always had a smile and a good morning for you walking through the halls. The hotel retaurant has great deals for lunch $6.50 fo a large sandwich.

Room Tip: All seem to be fine
  • Stayed: July 2013, traveled with family
3  Thank toughnlcentral
Reviewed July 20, 2013

Lets start w/ the good. HEMINGWAYS! All you can eat Dungeness crabs were amazing. Breakfast buffet amazing. Housekeeping, we always came back to a clean room w/ new towels and new or additional bottles of toiletries. Happy hour was fun and the pool area was great. and you cant beat the location. Now with the bad. We found that there were a lot of things that they didn't disclose to us. Beach badges are NOT included. in fact, no beach accomodations are included, (chairs, umbrellas etc). Parking was limited to one per room and good luck finding a spot if you get back to the hotel late. Our reservation. When I made the reservation I booked an ocean view room for 4 nights. When making the reservation, I was told breakfast daily and one dinner was included. We got there early and the room was not ready. The front desk told us to check back at 1pm to see if it was in fact ready. We did and in fact it was. Our "oceanview" room was a balcony w/ a view of the large blue atrium window (which I could touch from the balcony) and if I looked to the left passed the roof of the ballroom and all the HVAC equiptment accompanied by the litter I could see the ocean. We immediately called the front desk and asked for a different room. They did accommodate and they gave us the room number. We went passed the room to find that housekeeping was in the room. The front desk told us, 'it should only be a few minutes". So we got a cart, went out to our car and got our luggage and waited in the lobby. We waited as people came to the counter and checked into their own room. We waited, and waited, and waited. Everytime we went to the lobby we were greeted w/ "what is your name?" and then "the room stil isn't ready." I finally went upstairs and the asked the housekeeper'' if she did and she said she finished it over and hour ago. Finally, after 2 hours in the lobby waiting on our first day of vacation we were in our room. w/ out being offered so much as a complimentary drink. We went downstairs to the restaurant to make our dinner reservation using our tickets and chose the all you can eat Dungeness crabs. We advised that we had the coupons and were told you can order anything. At dinner, after being served our crab we were told we couldn't use our tickets for the crab. We had 2 tickets and 7 people at the table w/ us. Needless to say after my conversation w/ the server, they accepted our tickets. The following day we went into the envelope w/ our breakfast coupons and noticed we only had 3 days of breakfast and we were booked for 4. The front desk advised us that they offered a 2 night package, 3 night package and a 5 night package. But not a 4 night package, which is what we booked. So we were only entitled to 3 days of breakfast. Uummm, ok? That makes sense to nobody but, ok. The people; the girl that checked us in was very nice initially, but her counterpart at the front desk had a great personality for the back room. She barely looked up at the guests much less cracked a smile. (and we sat there for 2 hours so trust me I was paying attention.) We passed the front desk every day a half a dozen times or so and not once did anyone at the front desk say "how are you folks doing today?" Also note that if you are staying in the old portion of the hotel, there is a ballroom on the top floor and you will hear every single word the DJ/Band is saying for the 4-5 hours the event is going on. Another little tidbit the hotel didn't share w/ the people next door to us. I found that they omitted a lot of things, and when called out they didn't try to 'smooth' it over like other hotels might do. So if you are planning on staying here ask LOTS of questions about the room type, inclusions, etc. Or just stay somewhere else. There are so many other places to stay in Cape May where I can spend spend my hard earned money that I will try someplace else. You don't have to stay at the hotel to go to happy hour at the pool or Hemingways for breakfast and/or dinner and those are by far this hotels best qualities. Even if the drinks at the pool are not very strong. :) happy travels

Room Tip: make sure you ask where your ocean view room is. You definitely want the street side rather than th...
  • Stayed: July 2013, traveled as a couple
4  Thank ohnoshediint
Reviewed July 19, 2013 via mobile

My family and I decided to take a random weekend vacation to cape may. I must say we were suprised. we did mot have reservations and walked in at The Grand. We were greeted with a very helpful staff. Before selecting out room , The manager let us look at room to make sure it would accomidate our family. The hotel was clean and the pool was refreshing. We will definatly be back for labor day.

• Stayed: July 2013
1  Thank hotelfanatic52005
Reviewed July 19, 2013

Very disappointed in my stay. The rooms looked nothing like on the internet! The door was dirty , they glass outside my room was dirty, the bedspreads had seen better days....
Would NEVER stay there again......

• Stayed: July 2013, traveled with family
3  Thank dmk1954
Reviewed July 17, 2013 via mobile

Pleasantly surprised by the grand hotel in cape may. Clean, comfortable rooms, great food, lots to do for kids. Front desk was very friendly and helpful, especially Christy. Loved having an indoor pool for rainy days also. Packages that include meals are a great value. I would definitely recommend this hotel.

• Stayed: July 2013
2  Thank Amy19104
Reviewed July 16, 2013

The Grand Hotel is ok since it is a beach hotel. It is a bit expensive, but you are paying for the convenience not a luxury hotel. It was clean and comfortable, although a bit moist/musty smelling. Not particularly good for someone with allergies. The staff didn't think the air conditioner was working too well in the room so they brought in a window unit as we were arriving. the breakfast buffet at the restaurant is convenient and very good. We would stay again since it is so nice to be right at the beach. We had the breakfast buffet at Hemingway's both mornings. Haley Allison and Mira were friendly, helpful, conscientious servers at breakfast the two mornings we were there.

• Stayed: July 2013, traveled as a couple
2  Thank Jami L
John A, General Manager at The Grand Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded July 17, 2013

Dear Jami L,

Thank you for choosing us for your recent stay and I appreciate the opportunity to read and respond to both your positive comments and areas you have recommended that we review for continual improvement opportunities.

As you noted The Grand Hotel is located oceanfront, just steps from the white sandy beaches of Cape May. We are one of the top destinations on the east coast for both families and couples seeking to getaway and enjoy a seaside vacation and fortunately for us, in high demand year ‘round.

I was pleased to see that we accomplished our most important goal of being both clean and comfortable and as important our restaurant staff was both friendly and helpful. As you know these are the key ingredients to every successful service business and during the height of our peak season it is most paramount for us to maintain our integrity and treat every guest as if they are the only customers staying here.

Also as you noted, we are always anticipating our customer’s needs and taking a proactive approach to resolving any concerns that may arise, and if we can even before they are reported. We are fortunate that we have great communication between our housekeeping department and engineering department working together to properly prepare our lodging rooms for your arrival. Your patience and understanding is greatly appreciated.

Referring to the moist/musty smell of our oceanfront location that is well at “sea level” it’s one of our unique challenges to continually do our best to eliminate the natural odors of the beach while making certain we remain “eco-friendly” with using mild chemicals to refresh the property. It is an ongoing challenge with our location.

In the coming months we will be announcing new and exciting improvements here at the Grand Hotel to further increase our overall value for a great vacation or getaway to the Jersey Cape.
If I can be of further service or help with a future reservation, please do not hesitate to contact me directly.

Beach e-Regards,