“Very accomodating! Very clean!”
Review of The Grand Hotel

The Grand Hotel
Ranked #13 of 37 Hotels in Cape May
Reviewed April 14, 2013

My daughter and I went to Cape May for one night and had no preplanned reservations when we arrived in town. I had seen this hotel on TripAdvisor and made a note to check them out. So glad I did! We were one of 5 or 6 families staying the night. Granted it's off season still, but they made us feel welcome and valued. We got to pick which type of room we wanted at the established price for the "mid-week special" and we chose the 2 room suite. We had a fully stocked kitchen, a double bed and a pull out sofa in one room. The main room had a king size bed and a double sleeper sofa with the porch access. It was immaculate and very comfortable lodging for the night we stayed. I had not planned more than one night in Cape May, but this hotel made me seriously consider changing my plans and returning to Cape May for the last night of our trip. The pool was very clean and the seating on the pool deck was quite posh! Of course some punk "kids" (maybe adults) had dumped the towel can in to the deep end of the pool and dunked towels in to the hot tub, but we scooped them out and went about our business of enjoying this hotel. The game room was less than exhilarating but filled the bill for my 11year old's desire to play a video game. Wish the air hockey table had worked. :( There was no in room coffee but there was free fresh coffee in the lobby in the morning. The staff was welcoming and helpful in finding a good place to grab some dinner. The hotel will be my one and only destination when I return in the near future. The location was amazing and the room had a fabulous view of the ocean across the street.

3  Thank tmyerkes
Write a ReviewReviews (1,359)

Reviewed April 10, 2013

While waiting on spring to arrive this year we took ourselves for a short break to Cape May and the Beach front hotel named The Grand. A big hotel with a heated indoor pool, for the kids, moderate sized hot tub, for the adults, spacious rooms which were clean and well appointed and all the other hotel necessities. Our beds were comfy and the pillows too, I was well pleased. While we were only a short walk from the center of town and a selection of remarkable restaurants, we chose to dine at Hemingways since they offered a wide variety of menu items to please both children and adults.

Stayed: March 2013, traveled with family
1  Thank anniem431
Reviewed April 8, 2013

We took advantage of The Grand Hotel's Family Splash Weekend. What a deal, three days, two nights with full buffet breakfast on Saturday and Sunday. The food was wonderful! We stayed in one of the Two Story EfficiencyTownhouses with a wonderful ocean view. We were very pleased with the setup. The first floor had a kitchenette, sofa bed and love seat, as well as a full bath and tv. The second floor had two double beds and a bath with shower. The beds were comfortable enough, don't expect luxurious comfort though. We enjoyed sitting out on the second floor balcony on the rocking chairs with a super view of the ocean (and outside pool, which was obviously not yet open). The hotel was very clean and the lobby was very pretty and welcoming. It looks like they had a nice coffee set up as well.

The indoor pool was beautiful and great entertainment for the kids. The pool was huge and the loungers were super comfy, however, the chlorine fumes were a bit strong.

The town was very quaint, with nice shops, dining and general sightseeing. The older girls rented bikes at Shields bike rental and toured the town. Horse and carriage rides were also available nearby. The victorian homes were something to see, absolutely beautiful! We also went to the Cape May County Zoo, which was free, donations accepted, it was terrific!

Great time had by the whole family.

1  Thank Debbie416
Reviewed April 3, 2013

We chose this hotel because my husband stayed here with his family when he was a kid. It was an okay experience if you look past the fact that everything is basically used up and needs to be remodeled. The bed was okay, but the pillows were really lumpy. It was hard to sleep on them, so I finally gave up and didn't use a pillow at all. The bathroom was decently clean, but things were rusty and yucky looking. To be fair, this IS a really old hotel, and I simply prefer clean-and-new when it comes to staying away from home. I suppose if you don't mind the downside of these things, it's a great place to stay.

2  Thank 1Annabelle1
John A, General Manager at The Grand Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded May 11, 2013

Dear Annabelle,

Thank you for choosing us for your recent stay here in Cape May, we appreciate your business.
It's great that you have the opportunity to travel to the Grand Hotel to relive past memories with your husband and his time here as a child. Hopefully his memories are all good of both the resort and our seashore town.

The Grand Hotel is in fact a landmark in Cape May for many generations of families, wedding celebrations, reunions and other types of gatherings at our oceanfront. Through the years the ownership has diligently made efforts to renovate and repair all the facilities within reasonable means. This process unfortunately takes years not days and an aggressive capital budget while maintaining the service standards and year 'round staffing required to continue to improve our reputation as a great place to stay & play.

With this said, as the new general manager here at the Grand Hotel, I am excited about all the new improvements happening as I write this note to you, in the coming months and years ahead. What I am most encouraged about is the "friendliness & cleanliness", which you experienced, that comes from a staff of hospitality professionals dedicated to making your stay the best it can be.

While we are focused on continual improvements it does not excuse our performance during your stay with regards to lumpy pillows and less than shiny bathroom fixtures. Since your review was posted I have reviewed your comments with our Director of Housekeeping to make certain we inspect every bed, pillow and bathroom to make certain we are consistent with our inspections to provide quality products and services.

And at the end of the day, I can agree with your last words in your review, we are ..."a great place to stay"

If I can every be of assistance in helping you plan a return visit to the Grand Hotel, please do not hesitate to contact me at feedback@grandcapemay.com.

Beach e-Regards,

John Allison
Grand Hotel
Oceanfront in Cape May, NJ

Reviewed March 31, 2013 via mobile

We chose to stay at the nearby Grand Hotel for Easter with my sister and her children. We both chose 2 room King Efficiency rooms. The rooms were very clean, the King bed and pillows were comfortable. The pull out sofa was actually comfortable for the kids. They loved having their own tv to watch. The bathroom was clean. It was nice to have an extra lighted vanity with mirror and sink outside of the bathroom. There was a small stovetop, refrigerator and microwave in the room( we did not use). The main reason we chose this hotel was for the heated indoor pool for the children. They had a great time swimming. The water was warm, however, the chlorine fumes were very strong. By the end of the night, the children's eyes were red and swollen. Maybe the pool room needs better ventilation. The kids also enjoyed playing in the small game room. A huge plus for us was the rooftop courtyard right outside of our room. We were in a section with mostly families and all of the kids had a great time running and playing on this turf courtyard. We would stay again.

• Stayed: March 2013
Reviewed March 31, 2013

I had a last min. opportunity to stay in Cape May and a night at the Grand Hotel. The hotel does not disappoint on cleanliness and the location is terrific. You can walk a few blocks to the center of town from here. There seems to be ample parking surrounding the buildings - at least in off season anyway. The front desk people are very nice, very accommodating. The entrance to the hotel was a bit confusing. The hotel is quite large and the office is not marked. There is a covered drive up, but it's hard to differentiate if you are looking at two hotels or just one, because the design on half of the property doesn't match the other. I was separated from my other party so I didn't get a room in the main hotel. I schlepped up the stairs in the outer portion. Not sure if that outer portion surrounding the pool has an elevator to the upper floor or not, so be sure to ask if you make a reservation and steps are a problem. Also, my unit was nicely equipped with a clean kitchen, little coffee maker, etc., but there was no coffee set up. A call to the front desk enabled me to get some coffee and creamer, etc., so if it's not there, ask for it. I'm thinking in off-season it's just not there unless requested. This is a little thing, but the toilet had no lid on it and the bathroom provided basically zero space to put down your morning routine items. Not having a toilet seat was weird and awkward and was kind of like being in a service station. Really, really did not like that and kept fearing I would drop an item in the toilet (especially considering there was no vanity sink space to put anything down). Putting on makeup, hair dryer, brush was a bit of a challenge. That and the only other discomfort was the bed was FAR too hard for me. If you must have a Sheraton type of 'cushiony' bed, then you ask before you go if there are other options. It was like a rock so I did not get a great night's sleep. Not enough to keep me from going back, because sleeping outside of your own bed is never going to be as comfortable. All in all, despite the little hiccups, it was a nice stay and I would return. Off season rates were pretty good, but do your homework.

Room Tip: Try to stay in the main hotel with the elevator, restaurant, coffee right in the lobby. Otherwise...
  • Stayed: March 2013, traveled with family
1  Thank Lorrie
Reviewed March 28, 2013 via mobile

We stayed at The Grand Hotel for four and a half months, courtesy of FEMA, just getting home today. Even though we were with FEMA, we were treated like we were renting one of the penthouses. We felt like family, and it was sad to say goodbye. Everyone did their best to make us feel at home, from the front desk ( debbie, the manager was amazing, and couldn't do enough for us, she seems to really know her stuff, and Christy became a friend also, always making us feel at home, and lots of joking around ) the restaurant has excellent food, at reasonable prices, but it was the bartenders that kept us coming back. Janet is exceptional, and also became a good friend. I recommend this hotel highly. I will go back " Home " very soon !!!

• Stayed: November 2012