“Nice stay!”
Review of The Grand Hotel

The Grand Hotel
Ranked #13 of 37 Hotels in Cape May
Reviewed September 9, 2012

Booked this place because of our friends wedding. check in was a breeze. We were room 106 a basic room but it worked for us. Ordered take from the Blue Moon. The delivered pretty quick. there's and indoor and a outdoor pool. There was a Steel/Pan drummer who was awesome.

• Stayed: September 2012, traveled as a couple
Write a ReviewReviews (1,359)

Reviewed September 7, 2012

I've stayed at the Grand for many years. I just got home tonight from a four night visit. Wish I was back there!

The room is clean. The bed is clean, comfortable, and there are no bedbugs,,, The staff is accommodating. Can't beat the indoor/outdoor pools. I don't go to Cape May to watch TV, so I'm not concerned with the age of the TV or the channel lineup. The location couldn't be better - directly across the street from the beach, and well within walking distance to restaurants and the boardwalk. I love it there and will be back again next year.

• Stayed: September 2012, traveled with family
4  Thank Laura H
Reviewed September 7, 2012

We lucked into one of the newer rooms in the main building (where reception is). We had a surprising good view of the ocean, but mostly of the large atrium near the indoor pool. Our room was pretty clean, no sign of bedbugs, and housekeeping was always around when we needed extra towels. The bed was really comfortable. The people staffing the front desk were professional and friendly. The location in Cape May was great - right across the street from the beach and a nice walk to the arcade and mall shops in town. The pools were full of kids (including the hot tub - not cool) which was totally understandable considering it was Labor Day weekend. The pool bar was nothing spectacular, but fine for an afternoon rum punch after a day on the beach. It was perfect for our needs.

Room Tip: Definitely ask for a room in the main building - not the older rooms around the outdoor pool.
  • Stayed: September 2012, traveled as a couple
2  Thank lilpeanut44
Reviewed September 4, 2012

We booked this hotel last minute and were lucky to find vacancy at this hotel right across the street from the beach. The lobby and check-in were very nice and pleasant. The trolley is available every 20 min or so to take u up and down Beach Ave and to Washington St to get to restaurants, etc.. The hotel could use a bit of a spruce up and even though we were told "ocean view", our room was on the side of the hotel. The balcony had a puddle of rain that never went away when we wanted to sit out there and look to the right to see the ocean. All in all, for a last minute get away, it was fine. Would prob choose another hotel next time for a full ocean view, however. or insist with this one.

Room Tip: ask if ur room actually faces the ocean and is not simply an ocean-VIEW
Reviewed September 2, 2012

Dirty...poor amenities, dated...and expensive
Only great thing is the location...
Many other nicer hotels......
Cape May is beautiful......so don't ruin it by staying here
I hope management is reading this....or she may be laying at the beach because he/she is never around!

14  Thank realtorpaula
Reviewed August 30, 2012

Rooms were clean and no problem. I would have rated excellent if they gave the rooms a little makeover--Drop ceilings in sleeping area were fine, but the one in bathroom needed a little work and so did the light above mirror. If you could ignore those minor flaws along with the old furniture, it was just fine. What they do have over all the other hotels/motels is the indoor pool with the hot tub. Everyone loved it and it was never crowded. The outside pool is also larger than any other hotel on the strip--I checked all the others.

Room Tip: Top floor had great side views of ocean
3  Thank D N
Reviewed August 28, 2012

The fat man is a simple man. Give me basic human pleasures and I will be happy. One of my most recent stays was at the Grand Hotel in Cape May New Jersey. This is a nice hotel in a great area managed by what must be some leftovers from the Corzine Administration. When I got to my room the veneer on the drawers were splintered. I don’t often even take my stuff out of the suitcase but I knew my stay would be 5 days. As I slid my garments into the drawer my thumb got stabbed with small bits of the peeling veneer. I had to tweeze them out. I set the AC on 60 degrees, as the fat man likes a cold room. The room never got below 72 degrees and was always clammy. I felt like I was in a huge refrigerator that didn’t work. The room actually had a musty smell. When the AC did work the air smelled like it was blown over a pan of kitty litter. The bed spread had to be removed if I were not to have night sweats from dusk till dusk. I lifted the beast which had to weigh 30 pounds. Why in God’s name would you have a winter bed spread on a summer bed?? The bathroom was clean and the bed had no bugs I could find. The room had a small refrigerator which I thought was a nice addition. The clock radio next to my bed must have been receiving messages from outer space .The radio /clock cracked all nigh so I unplugged the animal and put it in a drawer. This is a nice hotel but it is being run by imbeciles. It has great potential but the management must go. For what I paid per night I could have gone to Atlantic City and lived like a king on half of what I paid for this place which for lack of a better description looked like a Veterans Rooming house in Asbury Park, NJ.

Room Tip: Drive to Atlantic City for a room
  • Stayed: August 2012, traveled on business