“We loved it and will definitely stay again”
Review of The Grand Hotel

The Grand Hotel
Ranked #13 of 37 Hotels in Cape May
Brick, New Jersey
“We loved it and will definitely stay again”
Reviewed July 13, 2011

Go for the larger 2 or 3 room suites...definitely well worth it. Our kids used the sofa sleeper, it was closer to an actual bed then I have ever seen...The rooms have been remodeled, they are comfortable and immaculate.
My only complaints were that they close both the indoor and outdoor pools too early...and there is not enough parking for the hotels, and if you are forced to park on street it's metered parking.

• Stayed July 2011, traveled with family

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (304)
  • Polish first
New York, NY
Reviewed July 11, 2011

Reality:
Hotel is old. The rooms look like they have not been updated in over 10 years. The bathroom is very simple with no luxuries. There is no granite here for sure. The counter tops were made of plastic. The entire hotel has a floating ceilings where one can see all the leak stains all over. Its relatively clean place, but definitely not up to today's hotel standards. Very cheap looking place.
Pool: the outdoor pool is in the middle of the parking lot. there are no bathrooms nearby and you need to go all the way inside hotel to use bathroom. The outdoor pool deck is small with few chairs and little room for comfort.
The indoor pool isnt bad. Again, very dated.
Food: The restaurant has a good bkfst buffet.
Location: not prime, but not too far either.
There looked to be a really nice hotel next door that was being built. Wished i could have stayed there instead.
Parking is a pain, as the lot fills up. The day I checked out they said we can stay the day and use the facilities. But told us our car needed to be removed from lot to allow more parking? Sounds silly.
Didnt love this hotel at all due to poor overall quality of rooms.
Staff was nice, but dont even think about complaining about anything and getting a discount. They are trained to say no to everything.

Room Tip: Rooms are all the same quality, just different locations in hotel.
  • Stayed July 2011, traveled with family
9 Thank ToddNewYork_NY

Travelers are raving about these Cape May hotels

CT
Reviewed July 2, 2011

We had a wonderful time and highly recommend staying at the Grand. We always found parking but as others state there were not a lot of free spaces. I can see parking being an issue during very crowded times. You can park on the street without having to worry about meters from 10pm to 10am.

We had a very comfortable room with a king sized bed and pull out sofa. Despite noisy neighbors we never heard noise through the walls. The pull out bed was a bit rough on the back. The room had a fridge and microwave. We had a balcony that overlooked the ocean which was right across the street. You have to pay for beach access for adults $5 day/$10 for 3 days but you can drive to Sunset beach where it is free access plus you can search for cape may diamonds - also hermit crabs are much cheaper here than at the boardwalk.

Loved the buffet breakfast at Hemingways. I thought it was pricey but the next day we went into town and paid more for less food. We checked out menus all around and I'd say even though its pricey the breakfast is a good deal. It opens at 8am which seems late for us early risers and the first day the staff seemed off and rude but maybe that was an off day because we never experienced an issue after that.

The pools were great. Loved the chairs in the indoor pool. It was really nice to have an indoor and outdoor pool. We actually used the indoor pool more than the outdoor pool even on sunny days because it was nice to be out of the sun.

They had meetings/events going on almost daily. The only time the staff seemed overwhelmed/distracted was the first day we arrived (which was a Monday) when some sort of business meeting was occurring.

They had special things for the kids each night like movie with popcorn and a magician. The magician was wonderful. They had a seafood buffet Thursday that we did not go to but looked great.

I did notice very minor issues but nothing that would stop me from returning to the hotel - they didn't have any towels out by the pool, people hog the shaded tables by the outside pool all day, the parking, no bathrooms by the outside pool, the slider to the indoor pool was not operating, at checkout there were not luggage carts.

The walk to town by the arcade was not far, however, we did drive to go to eat at the Ugly Mug (recommend eating here) after a long day and were glad we didn't have to walk back to the hotel after dinner. Bring quarters for the meters.

• Stayed June 2011, traveled with family
3 Thank Southport-TRIP
Pittsburgh, PA
Reviewed July 1, 2011

-Unlike other reviewers' experiences... we did not have an issue with parking at the hotel.
-Great proximity to the beach (just have to cross the street) and a short walk to the shops in "down town" cape may.
-Negative: I stood at the hotel bar (Hemingways) one evening for about ten minutes and was not acknowledged once by the 4 staff members milling about. I just wanted to get a drink.
-Housekeeping was great and the rooms were kept clean.
-Rooms are on the small side and beds could've been more comfortable.
-Internet connection was blah, $10/day for a 256K connection. But who goes to the beach to check e-mail?

Overall it was a decent stay, neither bad nor great. Wasn't luxurious but not a dump either. It's a clean hotel with a decent staff, that's located extremely close to the beach.

• Stayed June 2011, traveled with family
1 Thank RonMexico7
Verona, NJ
Reviewed June 29, 2011

This was my first stay at the Grand Hotel in Cape May. While I have stayed at a number of hotels throughout the Cape May/Wildwood Crest area, I found The Grand Hotel to be a real value.

We had a basic room with a wide variety of amenities including refrigerator, stove, microwave, dishes, pans and a pantry--all super clean. The daily maid service was exceptional. Couple that with an outdoor pool and sandwich/beverage bar along with music on the weekends and you have a real deal. Enjoyed the Seafood Buffet at Hemingway's on Thursday night.

I was so impressed when we were invited to stay for the entire day upon check-out. All we had to do was to be out of the room by 11:00 AM and we could use the pool and locker room after a day on the beach. This enabled us to add almost a full day to our vacation at no additional cost. Did I forget to mention the indoot pool and hot tub?

What really impressed me was the never ending supply of towels at both pools and the generous amount of towels left in the room on a daily basis. It was so nice to be able to take a hot shower following a day on the beach with complimentary clean towels before jumping in the car for the drive home. The icing on a beautiful Cape May vacation.

My compliments to the staff and management.

Room Tip: Go on-line and check out the room layout.
Mansfield
Reviewed June 24, 2011

Just returned from The Grand for a week of beach and the pool. I agree with the previous guest - Parking is an issue. We arrived last Saturday and there was a Wedding going on. We got there early in the morning and got a spot, but I did see other guests driving around looking for parking. We went out one night during the week and when we returned there was not a parking spot. We had to park in the street. The hotel should issue one parking sticker per car. I think a lot of people had guests visiting, as I saw quite a few cars without the blue parking tag. This is one reason I may not return when you have to worry if you can park. The pools were both nice and the Oceanview 2nd floor efficiency with kitchen was a plus. I agree the rooms need some updating. The towel rack in our room fell off. The King size bed was okay. They should take the parking issue seriously.
We ate at Hemingways. The food was okay and a little pricey.

Room Tip: Stayed during a special weekly rate plan - 10% off
1 Thank BabsMansfield
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania
Reviewed June 19, 2011

the Grand was a nice place to stay. Room was clean but a little old looking. Could use some updating. Even though we only stayed two nights, I was happy we got a efficiency. it helped for our snacks and bottled water.
Couldn't really see the ocean from our room even though they said you could, but didn't bother me.
Outside pool was great! very clean and well taken care of. the pool side bar was a great addition. we did not go in the hot tub or the inside pool. It was too nice out. so I cannot not give a review on them. Hemingway restraunt was ok. nothing to boast about. a little pricey, but you do get enough food. our waitress was wonderful. thank you Lena!!
my only complaint and a very big issue with me was the parking lot. paid for a room and the one night had to park on the street. not enough ample parking. esp when there is a wedding there. NOT FAIR to us who are paying for a room there. I did complain, but they didn't seem to care. They said there was nothing they could do about it. How 'bout parking stickers for the hotel guests????

Room Tip: If you get a spot to park, don't move your car
1 Thank adampat