“great location but plenty of noise”
Review of Congress Hall

Congress Hall
Ranked #5 of 37 Hotels in Cape May
Reviewed February 23, 2011

just returned from a long weekend at the hotel

the hotel really looks nice and is in a great location-would like to return to the area in the summer season but not sure I would stay here again-see below for the good and the bad

booked a one bedroom ocean view room on the 4th floor-view was great and room was nicely furnished and bedding was nice as well-now for the bad-windows must be super old as all nigh the wind howled through them-also when the heat turns on and off it is super loud and runs loud as well-they need to winterize the windows or replace them-since the floors are not even(old hotel) there is a 2-4" open space by the door so all of the hallway noise is right in your room with you-the secondary door is just for decoration as it keeps no noise out-they need to put some rubber etc... on the bottom to eliminate some of the noise or replace the doors-if you are at all sensitive about noise don't stay here as you will be miserable for sure -it is too bad because it ruins the charm of the property-I felt like I was back in college with all of the noises that could be heard. The fitness center is a joke as well so don't plan on working out here during your stay either.

as for as things I enjoyed during my stay-drinks at the brown room-very comfortable and relaxing there-ate at the blue pig a few times-meals were good and so was the service-also went to the Ebbitt room at the Virigina for dinner-very good but on the expensive side-about $200 per couple but it was worth it

I got a good rate since it is the offseason but if I paid a full summer season rate I would have been extremely upset because of the noise situation -as it was we thought about leaving even though the rate was a good one

Stayed: February 2011, traveled as a couple
3  Thank njbeachmankm
There are newer reviews for Congress Hall

Reviewed February 14, 2011

What a great hotel, location, atmosphere, staff everything was great. The club, though my wife and I did not go in, looked like a lot of fun too. We were here in February and the weather was cold so we didn't do anything outside, but the lawn and pool area look like they would be great in warmer months. They have chairs sitting on the lawn where you can enjoy a great view of the ocean too. My wife and I walked down the road a little to a great little Diner like restaurant called George's, the food was excellent and the staff was great as well, but they only take cash to keep that in mind.

• Stayed: February 2011, traveled as a couple
Reviewed November 11, 2010

Loved everything about Congress Hall- the location was excellent, great room, great restaurants, wonderful staff! Our first visit to Cape May couldn't be more perfect-we are hoping to be back during the Christmas seaon

1  Thank debbieot
Reviewed October 26, 2010

We have been spending NY Eve at Cape May for 8 years the last 3 at CH. I just booked again for this year. We love Congress Hall the place is so warm and charming we always get an Ocean View. The location to everything is perfect. The staff has always been excellant. One New Year Eve my Son -in-law forgot his suit and relized it 1/2 hour before the Glitter Ball. The hotel got him a Tux (and it fit perfectly) and he made it on time for the ball. It is expensive, but a really nice treat.

Stayed: December 2009, traveled as a couple
cmsvc, Manager at Congress Hall, responded to this reviewResponded October 29, 2010

What a great story! Our goal is to provide our guests with the best possible service and accomodate their needs in any way we can. I am so glad to hear that we were able to make this happen for you last year. The Glitter Ball is one of the highlights of our year or a great way to start a new year! We look forward to seeing you this year at the Glitter Ball!

Reviewed October 17, 2010

We headed to Cape May for our honeymoon. We happen to walk by Congress Hall and loved the building went in and grabbed lunch. Went back that night to have a few drinks at the bar - fell in love with the bartender Steve - if you go tell him Lisa & David say hi... We spent 4 nights with him and switched from a bed and breakfast to Congress hall and spent the rest of our honeymoon hardly leaving the hotel they have so much going on - rooms are great view is wonderful the staff is so nice. The bed we want to take home as well as the robes they have in the rooms. They are a block away from Washingston Street Mall and right across from the beach perfect location. We even enjoyed a day at the spa with massages. The bands Friday and Saturday night were great. We are coming back in December with the kids.

• Stayed: October 2010, traveled as a couple
cmsvc, Manager at Congress Hall, responded to this reviewResponded October 22, 2010

Congratulations on your wedding, we are glad you shared your honeymoon with us! I hope we have the honor of welcoming you back for your 1st Anniversary! Thank you for all your kind comments, we appreciate your business.

Reviewed October 15, 2010

Congress Hall is a lovely, large, hotel in Cape May. The guest rooms are somewhat small compared to the more modern hotels of today, but I think that was to be expected from 1816 when the hotel was built. It is very well maintained and extremely clean. The staff was very accomodating, and pleasant. The loation was excellent. We could walk to many nice restaurants, and shopping areas. The beautiful Adirondak chairs which overlooked the ocean were inviting, but unfortunately, the only day we had to sit, it rained. We enjoyed the coffee shop, and the rocking chairs on the porch.

• Stayed: September 2010, traveled with friends

It is great to read your review. We work very hard to keep the historical side and still maintain the needs of our current guests. Thank you so much for you kind words. I hope on your next visit to Congress Hall we have beautiful sunshine so you can enjoy the adirondacks, it's the best seat in town!

Reviewed October 13, 2010

I have frequented this hotel several times a year since 2003 and decided it was time to finally give it a review. My wife and I recently celebrated our anniversary here during the 1st weekend in October and, as always, had an excellent stay.

The staff will do anything to make your stay enjoyable and are some of the best I have encountered. We usually stay on the second floor in a room with an ocean view and balcony. It's great to eat breakfast out there or to have a cocktail before dinner. The Blue Pig is perfect for a casual dinner and since they changed thier menu the food is even better than before (the pork shank is amazing). The Brown Room is a great place to grab a cocktail. It can get crowed, but I think that makes it more fun and I can't recall ever having a bad time there. The Boiler Room is a night club downstairs. We find it hit or miss depending on the band that is performing.

I've read several negative reviews of this hotel. Yes the floors are not level. But the hotel is almost 200 years old. The main pool can get a little crazy with all the kids. And the amount of pool toys allowed is a little ridiculous but that's why they have an adult pool. I can't relate to any of the other bad experiences. I'm sure I have had to wait 5 or 10 minutes for a towel or to check in or out. Maybe the air conditioner wasn't working properly and took a couple of hours to fix. But I'm in Cape May and out of the city so I could really care less. I'm sure if you are on the second floor and trying to go to sleep before 11pm you may here some noise. But this is not a small bed and breakfast.

With all that said, I had my wedding reception at this hotel in 2007. When I see friends and family at other weddings and events they are still talking about what a great time they had at my wedding. I would and have recommended this hotel to friends and family. There is nothing else like it.

2  Thank ejmarist