“Unbelievable money grubbers.”
Review of Congress Hall

Congress Hall
Ranked #6 of 37 Hotels in Cape May
Reviewed April 3, 2007

We were supposed to attend a wedding at Congress Hall on 4/12/07 - a Thursday. The first negative thing that happened was that the block of rooms set aside for guests was full and the hotel was unwilling to expand the block so we paid full price. Then today, about 1 week before the wedding we wanted to cancel the reservation because my husband was diagnosed with lung cancer 8 days ago and his first appointment with his consulting oncologist at Memorial Sloan-Kettering is on the day of the wedding. No refund on the cancellation PLUS the insult of a $30.00 charge to process the cancellation.

Almost too unbelievable to be true but true nonetheless!

M.Monaco
Jersey City, NJ

Stayed: April 2007
18  Thank ocanom
Write a ReviewReviews (1,190)

Reviewed March 19, 2007

This hotel was the best my husband and I have experienced in Cape May! The service was great and rooms were very cozy! We couldn't have asked for a better weekend! I would suggest this hotel to couples and families alike. Oh...and the bedding was soooo soft and luxurious...you will love it. Ask for the free upgrade...they are very accomodating!

• Stayed: March 2007
Reviewed March 19, 2007

We stayed to view CH for our possible wedding. I have to begin by saying it is beautiful, it reminds me of a hotel that would be in the Great Gatsby and overall, the site is gorgeous. I love the hotel rooms, they were detailed with stars and a shade of light blue that was so serene. The area is lovely, plenty of places to eat and there is a lovely lounge that you can hang out in and read, have a drink or late at night the Brown room is very cool to get in a little dancing.

I have to say, why I am not having my wedding here is because fo the staff. As another reviewer stated perfectly, they weren't rude but "indifferent". We were not treated very nicely by certain folks, in particular, the valets. The front staff was better and it depends on who would have helped you but there was something I couldn't put my fineger on, sort of like someone staring straight at you but not at you.

Even after touring w/ the site manager and she introduced as possible bride and grroom for the hotel, the employees still managed to make us feel uncomfortable.

It was as we were interrupting their time at work. After 2 days of this "hospitality" we told CH we changed our minds and will host our wedding elsewhere.

Now it wasnt a bad place to stay, it was lovely but if you are looking for just that and not a lot of help from CH staff then stay here, you will feel like you entered the swinging 40's. And def. take a bike rental and tour the area.

• Stayed: February 2007, traveled on business
11  Thank abomb26
Reviewed February 6, 2007

After 40+ yrs at the Jersey shore & seeing CH crumbling, I finally had the opportunity to stay there. Gorgeous, large rooms, fabulous bathroom, reminiscent of turn of the century furnishings, and incredibly comfortable, soft beds & bedding. Would like to have a coffee pot in the room, though. The public rooms are charming (biggest Christmas tree I ever saw!), shopping is lovely, and the fireplace bar fabulous. The Boiler Room has an old New York lounge-y feeling, with live music and even livelier people. Loved it, loved it, loved it. I will be back!

• Stayed: December 2005, traveled with friends
3  Thank patzona
Reviewed January 4, 2007

Loved the hotel and its restaurant, The Blue Pig. The hotel and Cape May has a lot of history. The only drawback was the slanted floor in the hotel. The hotel had good maid service. The location was great. It was across from the Village and restaurants.

• Stayed: September 2006, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Harrberl
Reviewed December 12, 2006

I stayed at the hotel with my mother in a seaside room to write an article for a travel magazine. The rooms were all blues, whites, and light colors, with touches of orange and red. Very coastal. You could smell the water in your room, which is great. I had a seaside view, which I would recommend. One thing, my iPOd was taken from my room. I was upset but I got over it. The hotel is the perfect location to explore the area, with many of the shops right next door and even inside the hotel. I was especially impressed by the decor. It was very sophisticated and colonial, with a hip edge. I was very pleasantly surprised since I don't go in for the Victorian charms as much. All in all, a great stay.

• Stayed: May 2006, traveled on business
2  Thank TravelWriterNYC
Reviewed November 9, 2006

We spent last Saturday night at Congress Hall on a spur of the moment trip down to Cape May with friends. Lovely old - historic - hotel that unfortunately was overrun with wedding guests, making it a lot less peaceful that it otherwise could have been. We stayed in an ocean front room with a king sized bed on the fourth floor and, while it was nice, it didn't quite have the 'WOW' factor that we'd been hoping for (in fact, I double-checked to make sure that they'd put us in the right class of room). That said, however, we really didn't have any complaints. The bathroom was small but well equipped, the beds were comfy with lots of down pillows, we, fortunately, weren't impacted by any noise from the wedding party downstairs. ..and they gave us a Sunday Times in the morning. Pretty nice! The pictures posted on Trip Advisor accurately reflect the rooms/hotel as we experienced it.

As you'll also see from pictures, Congress Hall is a fairly large hotel with great porches and rocking chairs, nice lounges (unfortunately jammed with people when we were there) and it's fabulously located. We found the staff to be most helpful and attentive. We had dinner Saturday night at Ebbitt House in the sister hotel, the Virginian and it was very, very good. Breakfast at the Congress Hall on Sunday was also delightful (blueberry pecan french toast made with brioche).

Would we stay there again? Yes, although we might try to find something a bit more quiet.

• Stayed: October 2006, traveled with friends