“relatively good, but buyer beware.”
Review of Congress Hall

Congress Hall
Ranked #5 of 37 Hotels in Cape May
“relatively good, but buyer beware.”
Reviewed June 8, 2014

We recently stayed at the Star Inn, part of the Cape Resorts group. We were there for 3 nights, 6/4,5,6,/2014 . We have returned to Cape May every year since 1988, and love Congress Hall and the whole environment there.
Upon checking out, we stood in line politely to settle up our bill. The lone clerk asked if we wanted a printed receipt. I said "yes". It was handed to me folded, and on we left to drive 275 miles back home to northcentral PA.
After getting back home, I took a closer look at the invoice, and noticed that we'd been charged a $30 "Room key deposit" for each of the 3 nights, but were given credit for only 1 night. Thus, a $60 overpaid charge.
I called back the following day to point out the error, the person on the phone pulled up the account, was apologetic, and fixed the overage right away. But had I not noticed the error, it would have been an error to the advantage of the property. I have to wonder how often this "error" occurs?

• Stayed June 2014, traveled as a couple
5 Thank Lawrence A
CHCapeMay, Vice President of Operations at Congress Hall, responded to this review, July 22, 2014
Dear Lawrence A,

Thank you for taking the time to share your experience with us. We apologize for incorrectly posting three key deposit charges. This was done in error and was corrected after your departure, although key deposits are typically removed upon departure. We should have presented you with a correct bill from the start. Due to the historic nature of Congress Hall and the Star Inn, we supply each guest with real keys attached by a signature, “Congress Hall”, brass plate. While expensive to maintain, we feel the historic keys are an important part of our guest experience. We’re happy to hear that you love visiting Congress Hall and Cape May and we look forward to welcoming you back very soon!

Patrick Logue, Vice President of Hotel Operations

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (345)
Reading, Pennsylvania
Reviewed June 7, 2014 via mobile

We picked Cape May as our honeymoon destination based on our previous trips to the area. Friends recommended Congress Hall. Although we enjoyed the hotel and loved the location, I was very disappointed with our check -in experience. As a new bride, I couldn't be happier. I got to the front desk to check -in. It was around 1 pm on a Monday. No one else was there. Instead of being greeted with a smile and a welcome, I barely got a hello. When I asked about upgrading to a king size bed, the response was we are at 100% capacity. I understand not being able to accommodate my request, but I think there was a more hospitable way it could have been communicated. We were told our room wasn't ready and they would call us when we could check in. When we did get assigned a room, it was a handicap room without the view we paid for. I wish I would have returned to this less than friendly front desk clerk to change rooms, but I decided to avoid dealing with her again. Congress Hall you have a great property and everything else was great. You may want to remind your staff the importance of a good first impression. If I would have had one, this review would be nothing but great comments.

• Stayed June 2014
7 Thank Lorisueo530
CHCapeMay, Vice President of Hotel Operations at Congress Hall, responded to this review, July 22, 2014
Dear Lorisueo530,

Thank you for taking time to detail your experience at Congress Hall. Front Desk reception is the first impression for all of our guests and a hallmark of our hospitality. I'm very sorry to hear our welcome and front desk staff was not up to our standards. We typically manage each guests experience closely in relation to "a room with a view" as we understand the importance of this factor during a leisurely getaway. I'm sorry the view afforded by your room fell short of your expectations. Please know your comments were reviewed with our Front Desk team. We are happy to note that you enjoyed the many amenities and services of Congress Hall. Please feel free to reach out directly so that we may choose the perfect room for you during your next visit.

Patrick Logue, Vice President of Hotel Operations
Downingtown, Pennsylvania
Reviewed June 3, 2014 via mobile

We couldn't have had a better time. Before the large crowds appear. We have two pre kindergarten girls and they had the best time. From the valet, to the kid friendly staff by the heated pool, to the accommodating staff at the amazing Blue Pig, it was all top notch. The room was incredible. Immaculate and clean. I would highly recommend king room 330, ocean and pool view.

This was our first time at Cape May and the jersey shore for that matter outside Atlantic city. I am done looking for a great vacation spot close to philly. We are hooked and will be back for many years to come. Even planning a family reunion.

Stayed June 2014
1 Thank Berrios10
Cape May Court House, New Jersey
Reviewed June 3, 2014

I titled this review "Diamonds Are A Girls Best Friend" because I view Congress Hall Hotel, its owner and many staff as friends. I am a local but every opportunity I have to share Congress Hall Hotel and its sister properties (especially the cottages) with family and friends, I do. I have rented the Virginia Cottages (a sister property to Congress Hall) for several events, including holidays, a wedding (cousin had her wedding at Congress Hall) and just for a Girlfriends Getaway with 12 of my friends in Cool Cape May. We had a blast! But, Congress Hall in particular is one of the most beautiful hotels at the Jersey Shore. I may be a little biased because I used to work as a sales manager for the property, but I believe my opinion is an honest one, and I'd like to think that my former clients are still returning to enjoy this bright shining diamond on the beach. Kudos to you Curtis Bashaw, Patrick Logue and John Daily and a team of people who truly get what travelers want to experience and enjoy while they are vacationing away from home i.e. comfortable and luxurious bedding, friendly and courteous staff, delicous food, great drinks, lively entertainment, an inviting pool, shopping and spa. What more can a girl or anyone for that matter ask from a friend? 10 Carat Diamonds don't disappoint!

Room Tip: Any room as Congress Hall is a room you will enjoy! My tip is to bring someone special to share it...
  • Stayed December 2013, traveled with friends
1 Thank CherSpaulding1
Reviewed June 2, 2014 via mobile

The first time I stayed here was for the ocean drive 10 mile run a couple of years ago. I only booked it because they were a host hotel and located at the start line. What a great accidental find. You could spend a weekend here even if the weather was bad and have an amazing time. The restaurant and the lounge are both worth checking out.
The rooms aren't all that big, but so clean you could eat off the floors. It's not the cheapest place to stay in Cape May but I won't stay anywhere else again, and we've been to a few others. It is absolutely worth the few extra $$.

• Stayed May 2014
1 Thank mmac0727
Chicago, Illinois
Reviewed June 1, 2014

We visited Cape May for a wedding and chose Congress as the wedding reception was also there. We had a room on the top (4th) floor with direct views of the ocean which was lovely, and a very comfortable king bed. The bathroom was also spacious, with a slightly wonky floor that added to the character.

It was a lovely venue for a wedding with cocktail hour being on the lawn, again overlooking the ocean. After the wedding we went down to The Boiler Room and thoroughly enjoyed the live band. We ordered room service which was also delicious, and breakfast in bed with a carafe of mimosa was a fabulous way to start the day!

When we returned home my husband realized he had left some of his clothes in a drawer in the hotel room The hotel responded quickly and mailed them back to us in a timely manner. I was impressed with this good customer service.

• Stayed May 2014, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Ciara N
New York City, New York
Reviewed May 30, 2014

I am in the hotel business and while I am writing this review late, it was a totally great stay. This place has a few things other hotels in the US don't have. 1. History, it was built in 1814. It's housed presidents, governors, etc.
2. Class. The pics do not do it justice.
3. Management, this place is run better than any hotel I've been around. Working with a new staff every year and keeping or training 5 star, 5 diamond quality is terrific.
4.location, it is in a great local on the beach and just great!!

• Stayed January 2014