“Great midweek getaway”
Review of Congress Hall

Congress Hall
Ranked #6 of 37 Hotels in Cape May
Reviewed April 18, 2014

My wife and i needed a break from everything, so we went to Cape May for an overnight at Congress Hall. It was our first time staying here, but we have enjoyed many places in Cape May. Our room was on the 4th floor overlooking the Ocean. Bright Lime Green colored room that was awesome. Large bathroom (not huge) with plenty of water pressure in the shower and plenty of amenities. Bed was awesome (not so soft, not to hard). Reception staff was helpful and made sure that if we needed anything it was taken care of (didn't need much). Had Breakfast in the main dining area and enjoyed that. Service was a bit slow, but we were not in a hurry, so it really didn't matter. We were there to relax (no phones, no computers, no TV -- just the two of us) and for that Congress Hall was exactly what we needed.

Room Tip: Ocean view without verandah in Rm 402. Great View, Quiet at this time of year
  • Stayed: April 2014, traveled as a couple
1  Thank akfishguide

Reviewed April 16, 2014

We have spent the past 20 anniversaries in Cape May. Two or three times at Congress Hall. Because our anniversary is Dec 12, we always arrive in the middle of the Christmas celebration. The hotel is exquisitely decorated for the season and has a very jovial atmosphere. The beds are the most comfortable I have slept in anywhere. The hotel is clean and the service excellent. I would not stay anywhere else for this special date!!!

Room Tip: Looking into town or ocean view is equally good this time of year.
  • Stayed: December 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank caryn a
Reviewed April 14, 2014

I chose to come here in the Spring, right before it became really crowded. Still a popular spot. Well located, steps from the beach, adjacent to a bunch of cute shops and restaurants. Good service, lovely rooms. The only thing is that breakfast isn't included, but if you walk a few steps there are a bunch of restaurants where you can eat, including their in-house place, The Blue Pig (lovely food, super slow service). No coffee makers in the rooms but the hostess at the Ble Pig can hook you up. Loved it here and will be back again and again.

Room Tip: Anything with an ocean view is a winner.
  • Stayed: April 2014, traveled solo
Reviewed April 13, 2014

I've always wanted to stay at Congress Hall since the first time I visited Cape May. It is a beautiful, historical building with mostly everything you'd need all in one location. Restaurant, pub, bar, pool, close to everything including beach and shops. Unfortunately, a few things led me to rate this hotel average. This is mainly due to lack of acknowledgement by management staff of several unfortunate events during our stay.

First, we ordered room service for a late dinner for me, my husband, and our son. Each time I chose something from the menu, I was told they no longer had it, and they hadn't switched to the new menu in the rooms yet. Wedge salad? Nope. No salmon entree as it was listed in the menu, so I opted for the salmon the woman described to me on the phone that was being offered (with leeks/mushrooms -- was told it was excellent). I wasn't very hungry so I ordered a dinner-size ceasar salad. When the waiter came to our room, he brought one meal - a ceasar salad topped with a salmon filet. When I said it was wrong, he looked at the slip and said that's how it was written (even though I had gone through it twice with the woman who took the order). My husband was famished, so took the salad, and the waiter quickly brought a second salad to the room. So odd that they screwed up something that was offered as an alternative to me in the first place, since their menu hadn't been updated in the room.

Secondly, our room was directly above the Boiler Room club that is in the basement of the hotel. No one ever told us, and when my husband asked at the front desk, he was told they played until 1am. Yep - booming music until 1am, and there were no other rooms available for us to switch. Even so, our son was already sleeping, so it would have been a hassle to relocate. Had I known our room was in this location, I would have not booked it since we were traveling with a young son.

Third, after our son got into bed, the entire base of the bed collapsed. My husband and I looked at it, and tried to see if it was temporarily fixable, but it was obvious someone had broken it and rigged it haphazardly in a way that it would have never held. So, my son had to sleep slanted all night. It was too late to call and get a cot, but we did complain the next morning. The staff at the front desk apologized, but that was it. Nothing else to acknowledge the issue, which, for a hotel of this class, was very, very disappointing.

Despite these issues, would I stay here again? Yes, probably so. However, for a hotel of this class and this price, they need to be more attentive to little issues such as these. We paid for a room here to have first-class service, which was missing, unfortunately. It is a beautiful property, with lots to offer, but if you're paying for the quality, you should expect to get what you pay for. We didn't this time around.

Room Tip: Make sure your room isn't within earshot of the Boiler Room when the band plays, otherwise, you...
  • Stayed: April 2014, traveled with family
6  Thank Runwaychic
CHCapeMay, Manager at Congress Hall, responded to this reviewResponded April 24, 2014

Dear Guest,

I am very sorry to hear of the inconveniences caused during your stay. It is never our intention to assign a room that could potentially be noisy to guests with children, rooms are assigned at random, and with the uniqueness of the hotel and occupancy at times it is difficult to shuffle rooms around to make accommodations. We are addressing your concerns with the appropriate departments and sincerely apologize for the dissatisfaction with our restaurant and room accommodations during your stay. We strive to provide the best service possible, and although mistakes do happen, it is our duty in the hospitality industry to make the situation right and guests comfortable and satisfied. We value all comments and feedback in order to improve our service and hospitality.

Reviewed April 12, 2014 via mobile

This place is first class all the way. Glamorous, historic and classy.

How anyone can give less than four stars is beyond me....I read so really bad reviews and just dont get it.

Met and/or exceeded all expectations.

Best place in cape may!

Stayed: April 2014, traveled with friends
2  Thank billyandbobthedog
Reviewed April 6, 2014

What a wonderful place. They have kept the history and still provide a hotel that feels luxurious, clean, and gives the guest a complete feeling of being well-cared for. The rooms were spacious, clean, cute, and I loved the aged tile and fixtures in the bath. I'm very fussy about beds/pillows/linens, and they were top-notch. The lounge was a great place to have after-dinner treats; live music made it special. The beach directly in front of hotel was beautiful. Location could not have been better. Would love to return.

Room Tip: We chose the room with a 'city view' because of cost (and weather was a little chilly), but...
  • Stayed: April 2014, traveled with family
1  Thank victor2014wi
Reviewed March 31, 2014 via mobile

Congress Hall has graced the shores of Cape May since it's original introduction 1816 and reconstruction in 1879 due to a devasting fire which destroyed 38 acees along the seafront. It's halls whisper of the many guests such as John Philp Sousa, Ulysses S. Grant, Dranklin Pierce, James Buchanan, and President Benjamin Harrison who referred to the Hall as his Summer White House.

The Hall's magnificant columns greet your arrival as the majestic flags of our country wave you through to your seaside escape. There you will enter Congress's corridors which are adorned with vibrant colors, period pieces of it's days from Victoriam times, and an abundance of photographs of the many events and guests the hotel has hosted through the years. The staff and hotel services are very friendly and accomodating. Several guests in our weekend celebration were very pleased with their Spa indulgence and highly recommended for our next stay. The Blue Pig Tavern was a great start for a casual dinner and had a wide variety of menu selections including fresh seafood, salads, daily chef selections and all desserts made on the premises. The Boiler Room was the happy ending to our day full of festivities and wine and brewery tours-great atmosphere. music and simply alot of fun!

You can enjoy a walk on the promanade or a stroll on the beach located across from the property. Afternoons are made for nestling in one if the many Adirondaxk chairs that adorn the gardens while rocking chairs offer a simple breeze and sea air just the same.

A suggestion if considering a stay at this resort: be 100% certain you will not require any modification to your stay as they have a strict 21 day cancellation policy. They do request a credit card hold per room for any room charges or incidentals which we declined as it was not mentioned at the time the reservation was placed.

Enjoy your stay as we hope to return for another enjoyable weekend with friends!

• Stayed: March 2014