“Great hotel - terrible toilet paper”
Review of Congress Hall

Congress Hall
Ranked #6 of 37 Hotels in Cape May
Reviewed October 27, 2013

This was our third stay at Congress Hall. It has a fantastic location that is on the beach and across the street from the start of the shopping areas. They have some of the best entertainment options available nightly in the brown room where you can also get a delicious beverage of your choice.

Rooms are comfortable and uniquely decorated. Bathrooms tend to be bigger than average with nice fixtures.

The reason for the FOUR star review vs. FIVE is because of the toilet paper and the beds. Congress Hall must be buying the cheapest paper from Georgia Pacific possible to save on cost. For a nicer hotel they should be buying comfortable toilet paper. It reminded me of being in a public middle school that is cutting costs. Next time I guess we will have to bring our own! The beds also seem a little dated. The one we were sleeping on sloped to the middle.

Get a package with a breakfast credit. The Brown Pig restaurant is delicious! Or check out the Mad Batter for breakfast.

• Stayed: October 2013, traveled as a couple
Write a ReviewReviews (1,210)

Reviewed October 26, 2013

This was our first visit to Cape May and Congress Hall. We stayed for 3 nights to attend a wedding there. We had an adequate room with no view.This hotel is all about Victorian charm. We'll maintained, quaint rooms with a tilt to the floors and comfortable beds. Staff was generally accomodating ,particularly the housekeepers. Front desk was less. The smirk when I asked for a mini bar charge to be removed was not appreciated. Great place to visit.

Room Tip: The entrance is on Congress, not on Beach. Had to park and enter the hotel to get directions. Free v...
Reviewed October 18, 2013

This was probably my 10th visit to Cape May, most often with my husband, but at other times with my mother, a girl friend, a son. In the past, it was usually at a bed and breakfast, not my husband's favorite venue. So for this "romantic" overnight stay, I chose Congress Hall, and splurged for an ocean view room with a balcony. The positives...the bed was very comfortable, the room was a nice size, it had all the usually amenities, the water pressure was terrific, the view splendid, plus free parking and the NY Times in the morning. Not so great...the people at reception did their job efficiently, but with no warmth (the housekeeping staff was MUCH nicer). I was hoping for the big walk-in shower that was in the hotel photos, but got a tub with shower curtain instead. To get to the balcony, one has to open a window, then the doors underneath, then duck under the open window to get out (and I'm short) . Once there, you see the rusty metal balcony. The other window only opened an inch (no screens, which I guess is not a problem in October, though there were lots of bees still hanging out in the flowering shrubs, but in the summer...). The shops closed early. Heard people talking in the halls at 2 am. Simply put, we were disappointed.

2  Thank Blockster
Reviewed October 13, 2013

My husband and I stayed here with our 19 month old son in July. We had an amazing time. The pool was perfect for kids and adults. There were lot of families at this hotel during our stay so there are a lot of kids in the pool at times, but there is a small adult only pool as well for those that prefer it. I thought that the service by the pool was good, the staff was always available to help get set up. Some of the towels by the pool were stained. We were paying over $500/night and in this price range, I expected more. Our room was very nice. It was spacious enough for a king bed and the crib that we rented from the hotel. We had a balcony so we had a gorgeous view of the beach and pool area. There were two rocking chairs on the balcony which was a nice touch. The bathroom was large and looked like it had been recently updated. The hotel itself was in excellent condition and the staff does an excellent job of maintaining the historical features of the hotel. The beach is just across the street from the hotel. There is staff to help with chairs, towels, food and beverages. However, you will have to pay for access to the beach. While I understand that the hotel does not own the beach, I am surprised that they have not been able to work something out so that people who stay at their properties do not have to pay a fee to use the beach. It wasn't expensive, but it is something to know. The hotel and rooms were immaculate and the service was very good. We had dinner at the Blue Pig one night, and I thought the food was excellent. Additionally, we enjoyed getting coffee and baked goods in the morning from the coffee shop in the lobby. It was very convenient to be able to pick up breakfast quickly and go and eat on the patio or poolside. We can't wait to return next year!

• Stayed: July 2013, traveled with family
1  Thank tyny77
Reviewed October 7, 2013

Congress Hall is a wonderful hotel in a great location; close to the beach, shops and dinning. The staff was all very friendly, the pool and outside bar is a huge plus, although a little pricey for a drink. The rooms were very clean and nicely decorated, resort level rooms! If your looking for a first class room this is the place to go.

• Stayed: May 2013, traveled as a couple
Reviewed October 5, 2013

Great location and beautiful property. We were there for just one night to attend a wedding at the hotel. Our room was pretty basic, and did not have an ocean view.The blue paint in the room was way too vivid, and the room felt a bit stark. The bathroom was huge and handicapped accessible, although we did not request or need it. The staff was okay, but no one stood out as exceptionally helpful. We had a quick lunch in the Blue Pig, which was okay. I had always wanted to experience this historic hotel, and it has a lot to offer. But it definitely caters to a wealthy clientele, especially those who come back year after year.

• Stayed: September 2013, traveled as a couple
Reviewed October 4, 2013

My husband and I spent 2 nights at Congress Hall. Staying at this beautifully maintained, historic Victorian resort was like stepping back in history. Enjoyed our room with a private balcony overlooking the huge porch full of rocking chairs, the lovely pool, immaculate landscaped grounds and most of all a view of the ocean. We enjoyed dining at the Blue Pig...reminded us of the taverns at Williamsburg. Food was delicious...especially the blackberry pie! Had out of this world spa treatment by Sharon! October is a great time to visit Cape May. Not crowded, on the beach or in town, very laid back. Wonderful getaway for a few days....I highly recommend

Room Tip: Room 224 was a great room
1  Thank susiebh60