“Wonderful stay! We will return”
Review of Congress Hall

Congress Hall
Ranked #4 of 37 Hotels in Cape May
New York, NY
“Wonderful stay! We will return”
Reviewed October 13, 2013

My husband and I stayed here with our 19 month old son in July. We had an amazing time. The pool was perfect for kids and adults. There were lot of families at this hotel during our stay so there are a lot of kids in the pool at times, but there is a small adult only pool as well for those that prefer it. I thought that the service by the pool was good, the staff was always available to help get set up. Some of the towels by the pool were stained. We were paying over $500/night and in this price range, I expected more. Our room was very nice. It was spacious enough for a king bed and the crib that we rented from the hotel. We had a balcony so we had a gorgeous view of the beach and pool area. There were two rocking chairs on the balcony which was a nice touch. The bathroom was large and looked like it had been recently updated. The hotel itself was in excellent condition and the staff does an excellent job of maintaining the historical features of the hotel. The beach is just across the street from the hotel. There is staff to help with chairs, towels, food and beverages. However, you will have to pay for access to the beach. While I understand that the hotel does not own the beach, I am surprised that they have not been able to work something out so that people who stay at their properties do not have to pay a fee to use the beach. It wasn't expensive, but it is something to know. The hotel and rooms were immaculate and the service was very good. We had dinner at the Blue Pig one night, and I thought the food was excellent. Additionally, we enjoyed getting coffee and baked goods in the morning from the coffee shop in the lobby. It was very convenient to be able to pick up breakfast quickly and go and eat on the patio or poolside. We can't wait to return next year!

• Stayed July 2013, traveled with family
1 Thank tyny77

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (345)
Hasbrouck Heights, New Jersey
Reviewed October 7, 2013

Congress Hall is a wonderful hotel in a great location; close to the beach, shops and dinning. The staff was all very friendly, the pool and outside bar is a huge plus, although a little pricey for a drink. The rooms were very clean and nicely decorated, resort level rooms! If your looking for a first class room this is the place to go.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled as a couple
Baltimore, Maryland
Reviewed October 5, 2013

Great location and beautiful property. We were there for just one night to attend a wedding at the hotel. Our room was pretty basic, and did not have an ocean view.The blue paint in the room was way too vivid, and the room felt a bit stark. The bathroom was huge and handicapped accessible, although we did not request or need it. The staff was okay, but no one stood out as exceptionally helpful. We had a quick lunch in the Blue Pig, which was okay. I had always wanted to experience this historic hotel, and it has a lot to offer. But it definitely caters to a wealthy clientele, especially those who come back year after year.

• Stayed September 2013, traveled as a couple
Waldorf, Maryland, United States
Reviewed October 4, 2013

My husband and I spent 2 nights at Congress Hall. Staying at this beautifully maintained, historic Victorian resort was like stepping back in history. Enjoyed our room with a private balcony overlooking the huge porch full of rocking chairs, the lovely pool, immaculate landscaped grounds and most of all a view of the ocean. We enjoyed dining at the Blue Pig...reminded us of the taverns at Williamsburg. Food was delicious...especially the blackberry pie! Had out of this world spa treatment by Sharon! October is a great time to visit Cape May. Not crowded, on the beach or in town, very laid back. Wonderful getaway for a few days....I highly recommend

Room Tip: Room 224 was a great room
  • Stayed October 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank susiebh60
Manalapan, New Jersey
Reviewed September 23, 2013

We just returned from CH and were very unhappy. We had room 217 which was right above the lobby desk at the corner of the building over looking the Blue Pig. It's also at the top of the staircase, just above the Brown room. The front entrance is also below this room, slightly to the left. It's a Very noisy room. Upon mentioning this at the front desk, the young lady working there said she will mark in our files that we would prefer to have this room in the future. Really? Why would anyone prefer to have this room at the same rate as any other room? We found the entire staff acted as if they were doing us a favor letting us stay there. The place is beautiful. No doubt. But we will not be returning.

Additionally, we ate outside at the Blue Pig. We knew there was a probability of rain. It was nice out. Many other couples, friends and families were outside. Just as dessert was being served it started to rain. We had a nice table with an umbrella. The rain was running off to a side we weren't sitting at. We were fine until the table next to us with this drunken woman decides she was getting too wet and starts rearranging the umbrellas. She pushed her umbrella into ours, tipping it so the water accumulating on top poured onto my wife and our dessert. They looked over at us, not saying anything. No apologies. Our waiter saw what happened and just said he'll get us another dessert. My wife got up and went to the bathroom. Few minutes afterwards the woman gets up again and again attempts to move the umbrella again. A hostess tells her that its not going to work and she tells her she doesn't know what she's doing. She grabs the umbrella and starts moving it and again my umbrella goes sideways. I nicely say to her to please stop and she tells me to mind my own business. I advise her it is my business as she got my wife wet and ruined our dessert. She yells at me to "grow up" that a little water doesn't hurt anyone. This coming from someone rearranging the umbrellas to keep herself dry. I said to her not to be an A..hole, which I shouldn't have said. But then they kept yelling it at me. The manager came over and calmed things down just as my wife returned. I explained to him what happened and suggested that they only allow their staff to handle the umbrellas in the future. He did take 20% off the bill and didn't charge for the dessert.

Room Tip: Make sure your away from the lobby or the bars.
  • Stayed September 2013, traveled as a couple
2 Thank Butchbudai
CHCapeMay, Manager at Congress Hall, responded to this review, September 25, 2013
Dear Guest,
I am very sorry you were unhappy with your accommodations and felt you were mistreated by our staff during your stay. I have reviewed your reservation and made sure the correct notation was made that you do not prefer room 217 or to be near the entrance or stairwell. It is only our intention to provide the best most welcoming service and not to make anyone feel out of place. If we were unable to accommodate a different room for you we most certainly should have made your stay better in another way and I am sorry we fell short. We hope you will give Congress Hall another chance to truly enjoy the hotel and all it has to offer.
Philadelphia Suburb
Reviewed September 19, 2013

We went to Congress Hall on a recommendation and we're glad we did. It has a nice balance of a B & B / Inn feel yet provides the utmost anonymity. The building itself is gorgeous as are the interior rooms and suites. Our room had an ocean view and while a bit far away from the ocean, it was very nice to see in the morning. Would definitely recommend using the balcony as well. We ordered room service for breakfast and ate and enjoyed coffee on the balcony. Quite nice. If you like history, the beach, pretty decor and a break every now and then, definitely stay here!

• Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple
Haddon Heights
Reviewed September 19, 2013

This was our first visit to Congress Hall. We were attending a wedding there and stayed for the night. This hotel is all about Victorian charm. We'll maintained, quaint rooms, comfortable beds, bars and restaurants that felt like a manor house. Even the slight tilt to the floor in our room was unique! Highly recommended for a weekend get away. We will definitely return!

• Stayed January 2013, traveled with family