“Excellent stay at Congress Hall”
Review of Congress Hall

Congress Hall
Ranked #4 of 37 Hotels in Cape May
Rutherford, New Jersey, United States
“Excellent stay at Congress Hall”
Reviewed June 4, 2013

I can not say enough of how beautiful the hotel is and how accomodating the staff is. It is right on the beach and is very kid-friendly. The staff was so accomodating to make sure our stay was a terrific one. We wanted to stay one more night and the staff was able to keep us in the same room we were in. The Blue Pig restaurant had great food and service. The wi-fi was nice. The pool was perfect to play with children. We will be coming back when we stay in Cape May. The only suggestion I have is more clothing storage space. We were living out of suitcases.

Room Tip: Unless you really care about an ocean view, I would not pay extra for one.
  • Stayed May 2013, traveled with family

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (341)
Mechanicsburg, Pennsylvania
Reviewed May 30, 2013

This was our first experience staying at Congress Hall and, sadly, we were disappointed, primarily with the staff & level of service. The front desk staff were not welcoming or friendly and the staff working in the Blue Pig for breakfast were incompetent. Out of four mornings, only one resulted in us receiving the meals as ordered and in a timely fashion. One morning we were brought the wrong meals twice - and never once heard the words "I'm Sorry." Truly inexcusable for a hotel & restaurant if this supposed caliber. Additionally, the noise level in our room was challenging. I believe the hotel should notify guests at that time of their reservation that there is a wedding on the property.
The Brown Room is beautiful and we had a lovely experience there one evening. We also thoroughly enjoyed the pool, along with the service of the pool attendants as well as the beach attendants.
The hotel itself is a lovely historic inn and we had heard many wonderful reviews of friends' experiences there. Sadly, we can not say the same and I doubt we will stay again.

Room Tip: Ask if there is a wedding booked for the property during your stay. Also, request a room that is NOT...
3 Thank ALH-LSH
CHCapeMay, Manager at Congress Hall, responded to this review, June 6, 2013
We appreciate your feedback and take all points into consideration. We certainly hold ourselves to higher standards than were met during your stay. Our goal is to provide the best service possible for each guest, and I am sorry we fell short of that during your stay. Your comments have not gone unnoticed and we will be sure your concerns are addressed.
Haddonfield, New Jersey
Reviewed May 29, 2013

We won an auction bid at a fund raiser and cashed it in this past Friday. All I can say is...what's the big deal? Our room - 419 - must be the one they put the winners in - not a level floor - non-existent water pressure - and paper thin walls. Rack Rate totaled over $425 - our bid was $400 - we thought maybe something bigger then 10 x 12.

I did do the Spa Sampler - Facial was great - massage by Stephanie was devine - the girl that does the Mani-Pedi's was beat from a long day and it showed in her services and demeanor. This was a good return on investment - despite the mani-pedi let down.

Overall it is now a been there done that stay. Our money spends better at the Grand or the Marq-De-Laffayette.

Room Tip: Not room 419
5 Thank NJappraiser
New Jersey
Reviewed May 29, 2013 via mobile

From the service to the room and hotel 5 stars Very happy , would stay again and recommended to friends.
Coffee shop has excellent coffee. Aveda and bathrobes and daily new york times extra plus in room

• Stayed May 2013
Somerset, New Jersey
Reviewed May 25, 2013

We enjoyed our stay at Congress Hall. It was our first visit to the hotel. The room was inviting and bright with a balcony overlooking the ocean. I found the hotel to be a classy classic. Our daughter and her family stayed in another room that was larger but had the town view. Both rooms were comfortable but the larger room worked well for the family as they had room for their child to spread out her toys. The food was excellent at the Blue Pig, both for breakfast and dinner. The room decor was tasteful with a beachy feel. The bar scene was lively with a nice ambiance complete with fireplace as was the Blue Pig. New York Times delivered in the morning at your door.

Room Tip: Ocean view rooms are smaller than town view rooms. Both are very nice. Town view had a large tub and...
New York City, New York
Reviewed May 23, 2013

This was my first time visiting Cape May and I was so happy that the experience included Congress Hall. First and foremost, the hotel is beautifully decorated in a style that evokes the past without being cloying and fussy. It is both contemporary and turn of the century beach style. The pool area was lovely with lots of bird activity on the grounds. The pool towels were plush and comfy and the attendants were there to address all your needs. Fabulous restaurant, Blue Pig Tavern. Adorable and tasteful gift shop with yummy homemade blue pig shortbread cookies. The rooms were clean, sparse, retro, brightly colored and just my style. Again, tasteful, hearkens to the past but not your granny's B&B. Because it was a bit chilly, we decided to visit some of the bird sanctuaries and go on hikes...so worth it. This area is one of the most famous birding areas in the world. If it had been gorgeous, sunny weather we would have stayed at the beach or pool and missed out on seeing the piping plover we had the great fortune of spotting at the trail near the Lighthouse Park. Even though this hotel doesn't cater to kids specifically, our son had a great time and enjoyed every minute of it. I definitely want to come back here if I can afford it. Magical place!

Branchburg, New Jersey
Reviewed May 22, 2013

we have been going to Cape May for the past 20 years, renting a house mostly. Now that we can leave the 3 kids behind we tried Congress Hall. May I say thank you to management at Congress Hall! Bar was wonderful, Blue Pig outstanding, room service top notch and thank you to the beach guy....putting up my umbrella, setting up my lounge, giving me towels!!!! Thank you for the heated pool too and great location! Boiler room DJ...thank you for all the fun Sunday night! and the wedding on the beach that we watched from the window seat of our room....now I now where my daughters will say I do! Rooms are immaculate, ours was a bit small, but fine for two.

Only draw back....our room 406, was a bit unleval. Made me bit dizzy at times, but then again I am over 50 and everything seems to a bit off lately.

Can't wait to go back and take the entire family......loved our stay