“found a new way to vacation at cape may....”
Review of Congress Hall

Congress Hall
Ranked #6 of 37 Hotels in Cape May
Reviewed May 22, 2013

we have been going to Cape May for the past 20 years, renting a house mostly. Now that we can leave the 3 kids behind we tried Congress Hall. May I say thank you to management at Congress Hall! Bar was wonderful, Blue Pig outstanding, room service top notch and thank you to the beach guy....putting up my umbrella, setting up my lounge, giving me towels!!!! Thank you for the heated pool too and great location! Boiler room DJ...thank you for all the fun Sunday night! and the wedding on the beach that we watched from the window seat of our room....now I now where my daughters will say I do! Rooms are immaculate, ours was a bit small, but fine for two.

Only draw back....our room 406, was a bit unleval. Made me bit dizzy at times, but then again I am over 50 and everything seems to a bit off lately.

Can't wait to go back and take the entire family......loved our stay

• Stayed: May 2013, traveled as a couple
Write a ReviewReviews (1,205)

Reviewed May 22, 2013

Vintage hotels are usually a disappointment to me. A 200 year old building is going to have some wear. The question is, what wear is OK and what isn't. It may come down to taste, but I think Congress Hall got it right. Examples: bed, windows, shades, lockable safe, sink, bathroom tile...these are all the things that are in excellent shape. A creaky floor, slightly uneven steps, a pull chain light in the walk-in closet, circa 1980 phone. These are the things they haven't invested in. I think these are the right decisions. I got the advantages of a nice vintage hotel without paying the $100 premium to upgrade those things that I don't value. The lounge is great. The location is PERFECT - close to the walking mall and the beach. The homemade pizza was fantastic. The live music in the boiler room was great for dancing until 2 am. The staff was genuinely nice and efficient. The stay was a gift, so I can't speak to pricing...but I'd go back in a heartbeat.

• Stayed: May 2013, traveled with friends
Reviewed May 22, 2013

We stayed at Congress Hall during April. It was a cold day. The fireplaces in the lobbies and restaurant were working. It was very cozy. Our room, blue and white with a large bathroom, felt like we were in a Victorian novel. It was charming. We enjoyed our meals in the Blue Pig Tavern, too.

• Stayed: April 2013, traveled as a couple
Reviewed May 19, 2013

Congress Hall is one of the large old establishements going back to the 1800's. Perfect location on Beach Ave. Large lawn with great views of the beach. The Hotel is old, and it shows. Not to say it is falling apart or dirty, but it could use some sprucing up. If your into creaky stairs, etc. you will love it here. Service was very good. Our room was large and bright. I liked what appeared to be mis matched furniture (old) . It was very comfortable. Next trip to Cape May will more than likely see us back here.

1  Thank BeachPete
Reviewed May 17, 2013

My husband and I had one overnight while birding in Cape May. We loved the old Victorian flavor without being in a small B&B, which we dislike. All common spaces were open, plenty of room, Although the hotel was probably only half full. We are Young retirees and Congress Hall was full of similar couples, although there were young families as well. Definitely Not for singles in your 20-30s.

We found the bar to be delightful and very friendly. We chatted with great people and had great oysters! Dinner was just ok in The Blue Pig.

Early season pricing on travel site made it affordable, but a couple of staff members were not yet up to speed. A fire alarm at 4:30 am required all to evacuate while 3 hook and ladders arrived. All the guests chatted nicely outside in nightwear until a small electric fire was extinguished.

We would definitely go back, but only off season. We are not beach people, but there is so much to enjoy in Cape May.

Room Tip: Request main building. NOT over or near dining area or bar. We faced town center, worth lower pric...
Reviewed May 15, 2013 via mobile

Best location in Cape May! For the price we paid I was dissapointed with the overall value, I expected more and to be wowed. We would absolutely stay at Congress Hall again, but will look for a better deal in the off season. You can walk to all of the great Cape May shops/restaurants and the Boiler Room was a great spot to hang out at night.

• Stayed: May 2013
Reviewed May 15, 2013

We thought that Congress Hall would be a first-class establishment...it was not. The Brown Room is old and outdated with tacky appointments and poor service; our room was not that nice, and the smell of onions and garlic wafted through the floor (we were in room 323); very noisy, even though there are signs all over the place that say "quiet." Ants were in the bathroom and the bedroom. The only good things we experienced was dinner at the Blue Pig and the spa.

Room Tip: Our tip to help travelers choose a good room? Stay somewhere else.
2  Thank Jill M