“Great experience overall”
Review of Congress Hall

Congress Hall
Ranked #6 of 37 Hotels in Cape May
Reviewed February 11, 2013 via mobile

We visit cape may every year and this time decided to try congress hall. Overall all went well but I was not impressed with the room or comfort of the bed. The bathroom however was very cute. We had an ocean view king room with balcony. I enjoyed having the shops available in the hotel along with one of our favorite breakfast spots blue pig, however, not sure we will return for our stay. We will be back to enjoy the restaurant and gift shops but the rooms just did not impress me. The staff was very kind that is always a plus! Enjoy if you stay here!

• Stayed: October 2012

Reviewed February 9, 2013

We are wowed every time by the staff at this hotel. Unequivocably the finest group we have experienced, including at Four Seasons or Ritz. Classy, friendly, well groomed and smiling. The front desk staff to the managers of the hotel (general manager, Blue Pig restaurant, wait staff, etc.) are all amazing. The hotel...a true classic. Roaring real wood fires in the lounge and the restaurant that are kept stoked, real candles lighting up surfaces, great music, super drinks. Our room was brilliant in the winter sunlight, white duvets, immaculate bath, crisp sheets that rustled on a super comfortable bed. We go back time after time. If you get charm, class, the real deal, and are willing to blend rather than try to change perfection, you will love this place. Simply the best the shore has to offer, and Cape May IS the best of the shore in our opinion.

Room Tip: If you can get Room 426, try. It is awesome in the winter on a sunny day.
  • Stayed: February 2013, traveled as a couple
Reviewed February 8, 2013

I have been coming to Congress Hall in winter since 2006 and it is a wonderful,relaxing get-away. The ambience is superb! I love being in a building that reminds me of historical
times. The service was excellent beginning at check in. Amanda selected a lovely room on the 4th floor. We enjoyed delicious meals at the Blue Pig Tavern. What a great way to get rid of winter doldrums! I look forward to it every winter!

• Stayed: January 2013
Reviewed February 7, 2013

The rooms were nice, however the service was not as good as I expected. Yes it was off season I do give them that. But we were nickle and dimmed, double charged for our room (glad we caught it) and overcharged on the wine we ordered at dinner. There was nothing extra special about our stay. Had a living social voucher for the spa but it was not open. I don't plan on going back and advise not to go off season.

• Stayed: January 2013, traveled as a couple
3  Thank erikamargerum
Reviewed February 6, 2013

I took my sister to the Congress Hall for an extended weekend for her Birthday. The room was clean. Filled with Old Colonial Charm. The Housekeeping staff was somewhat friendly. The issues we had were the bathroom sink did not empty at out quickly causing someone brushing their teeth or washing face to shut it off so it could empty. Another issue was the staff was on the noisey side at a very early weekend 6:00am emptying outdoor trash/bottles banging loudly, and slamming doors. There also were no dressers to put clothes away in, which kind of surprised me as we were there for three days and at the room rates being slightly on the high side I would have thought the rooms would have been more accomodating. In the halls there were roomservice dishes left outside neighboring rooms for lengthy periods of time, like almost the full few days we were there. At one point I had to ask housekeeping to remove a large tray with food on it as it started to smell. The Brown Room was very enjoyable, the Blue Pig was great for breakfast, although there were only two of us the table was extrememly small; not enough room for coffee cups, juice glasses, plates and condiments, very very tight. We had masasges in the Sea Spa which were delightful! Not a single complaint there! Over all we enjoyed our stay, but at the room rates I think we could do better somewhere else.

Room Tip: Don''t over pack as there are no dressers to store your clothes in!
  • Stayed: February 2013, traveled with family
3  Thank carolet81367
Reviewed February 5, 2013

I grew up in Cape May City, one block from Congress Hall and have always enjoyed going to events at the hotel. I have recommended the establishment to many out-of-town relatives and friends for their vacation travels. However, I will not being doing that in the future. The reason being is that I sent a request for a quote for a small party for my daughter's 13th birthday (30-40 people) to take place in the next 4-6 weeks on a date that was convenient for CH. I explained in the email request that I understood that the request was last minute, but would still appreciate a response one way or another. I also called and left a voice mail message on the extension of the person that I was told would be the one to speak with about any event request. It is now 5 days later and I have not heard a word back from anyone at Congress Hall. I understand that the hotel is probably busy and my small party if chump change for them, but they should also have the common courtesy to send me a reply email and/or phone call.

• Stayed: February 2013, traveled with family
6  Thank TravelingDuo_11
Reviewed February 4, 2013

Booked a surprise overnight trip for my husband and I and 2 days later had to cancel due to emergency surgery for my husband that would leave him laid up for a few months. The trip was not for another 3 weeks and they refused to refund the money ($250 for one night). They were nasty, had no compassion for medical emergeny we were dealing with and would not let me speak to a manager. I was told, "this isn't New York or Philly, we do it our way". I left several messages for the manager via voice mail, all of which were never returned. When I disputed the charges on my credit card, they wrote a reply that lied about what I had said and made nastly comments about me and advised that I was told this was an non-refundable reservation, which I was never told, and refused refund. If they treat you that way and you have not even arrived, I can only imagine how they treat you when you get there. Have heard many complaints and negative reviews of this propery and staff since I have told others my story. Beware. Nicer hotel in Cape May is the Ocean Club and many B&B's.

• Stayed: December 2012, traveled as a couple