“Beautiful place for a wedding!”
Review of Congress Hall

Congress Hall
Ranked #6 of 37 Hotels in Cape May
Reviewed October 2, 2011

We stayed at Congress Hall for a wedding, which was held outside of Congress Hall. The hotel is centrally located in Cape May, close to the beach and just really cute. It's an extremely old hotel, but everything was very clean and fresh. It's also pretty expensive, but I would stay here again for a special occasion.

Room Tip: Try to get a room on the ocean side of the hotel for a better view. If not you will most likely be l...
  • Stayed: April 2011, traveled with friends
cmsvc, Manager at Congress Hall, responded to this reviewResponded October 27, 2011

We are glad you enjoyed your stay! We would love to have you back. Try booking mid-week in the off season, especially September & October the rates are more reasonable and the beach is beautiful.

Reviewed September 26, 2011

If choosing to spend time at one of the New Jersey beaches Congress Hall is still hands down the best overall. From the rooms , food , pool , beach , spa ect. It does not disappoint . The Brown Room has live music on the weekend ...nice touch. Overall the attention to detail make it worth the trip!

1  Thank vimatravel
cmsvc, Manager at Congress Hall, responded to this reviewResponded September 28, 2011

We think this is a special place, glad you think so too! Thank you for posting a review and we hope to see you soon.

Reviewed September 23, 2011

The Star ( part of the Congress Hall/Cape May Resorts) is a great place for adults! We spent 4 nites at The Star. Our last evening we spent a the night at Congress Hall (9/3/11) and that was enough! Congress Hall was beautifully furnished, appropriately decorated and immaculately clean..but.. too many badly behaved unsupervised kids! Noisy children at 7 a.m. and 11 p.m! How about an adult swim at the pool from 8-11? How about no children after August 30th? I have recommend The Star/Congress Hall to many people who have enjoyed and stayed at this unique restored grand hotel!

Room Tip: Stay at The Star!
  • Stayed: August 2011, traveled as a couple
1  Thank dan b

We have a variety of properties in our collection just for this reason. I am glad you were able to move into the Star Inn which suited your needs. Our reservations team can help find the perfect property when you are visiting Cape May. Thank you for your review.

Reviewed September 21, 2011

I attended a conference here and was not impressed with the facility. The staff was excellent as was the service I received but the hotel is very old and maintenance could have been better. The paint on the columns in the courtyard was peeling and the hotel is dark. I don't think I would stay here again.

• Stayed: September 2011, traveled on business
2  Thank RCRDSR

Thank you for your review. The columns do need some attention, this will be a winter project. As you can imagine keeping this historic hotel in order takes an army, we are glad to have an excellent staff that serves our guests and maintains the property. We appreciate your feedback and hope that you will change your mind and visit us again.

Reviewed September 19, 2011

Stayed with 3 other couples for a 3 day wekend just before Christmas. Hotel was beautifully decorated, staff was excellent, and package price was good. Had a great time in Cape May. Congress Hall had carolling in the ballroom and a lighting of the Christmas tree in the garden. Train rides (small fee) for the kids were available if you brought them, and a small outdoor shopping area with the best hot chocolate I've ever tasted in my life (could be spiked). Rooms were nice, clean and the hotel is well kept.

• Stayed: December 2010, traveled as a couple
1  Thank travel2mom

Winter Wonderland kicks off this year on November 25 and runs through New Year's Eve. I am glad you were here to experience the first year! Every year will get better. Join us for the tree lighting and choir on Friday, December 2. Every weekend we have Mrs. Claus story time, ceramics, shopping, and that great old time Christmas feel. Christmas in Cape is beautiful. I hope you are able to join us again. Thank you for your review.

Reviewed September 15, 2011

We have been coming to Cape May for many years, in fact we were just at the Southern Mansion a few weeks back. It's our first stay at Congress Hall and are leaving Wednesday
9-14-11. So far the Hotel itself is awesome and so historic. We are in the King Ocean View Balcony room and it is very clean and comfy. I love the scenery from the balcony of the gardens, the pool and especially the ocean. Now for my complaints which are not many. We checked in and the girl was rather cold and rushed but no one else was at the desk. She did not even say, "enjoy your stay" or anything warm for that matter. Upon checking out we had a different girl and she was even colder than the first and never even asked how our stay was. I found that to be odd due to how attentive everyone else is at the hotel. Prior to our stay we requested a fridge in our room and were told we would be charged $5 per day for the fridge and it would be in our room when we arrived. It was not, and I had to call 2 times for it to be delivered by housekeeping. When it arrived it was filthy and old and had to be cleaned prior to being put in our room. No biggie I guess, but if you are going to charge me at least make sure the thing is clean.

We headed down to the Blue Pig for lunch and the hubs and I ordered the Calamari with truffle oil. It was overcooked and the texture of rubber bands and I did not taste any truffle oil on them. The hubs got the chicken BLT which he said was OK but the bread was stale and I ordered the turkey burger. The roll was inedible and stale and I did not eat the roll and the turkey burger was also horrible. The best I can say were the fries were good and Stephan our waiter was a pleasure.

We headed to the adult pool and the pool staff was very accommodating with our towels and our needs. Do not order a drink unless you are getting a beer because you will pay top dollar for a gin and tonic that had no hint of gin and flat tonic. We had 2 a piece and I will be disputing that charge on my bill. Today is a good day. The scenery AND "The Blue Pig" were very good. We had breakfast at the blue pig. We both got the Greek omelet and home fries and bacon and rye toast....delish!!!

We hung out again at the adult pool. We love the relaxing quietness. The Pool attendants take care of your towels and pads. We ate at the Blue Pig for dinner because the hubs wanted Prime Rib and it was Prime Rib night. We had for appetizers which were the Crab mac and cheese and the crab cake yumm!! 2 dinner salads were good, the house Cabernet was very very good. Our prime rib and mashed potatoes and asparagus were very good as well. The Au jus was salty for my taste but still tasty.

So far my hats off to the manager of this hotel. The place and grounds are very clean. Today is our last day and night here. I truly love this hotel and the history!! I am completely and utterly impressed by the work ethics of the staff at this place. These kids that wait the tables and run the food to the beach are amazing and the manager is off the hook..I'm leaving in the am and am cannot wait to get back here..I love Congress Hall!!!!!!!..

Room Tip: King Ocean view balcony.
Reviewed September 13, 2011

In order to stay in Cape May you need to put down roots in a wonderful place like this.
A newer hotel just does not do this place justice. Congress Hall is a very old building, the rooms have floors that lean, space is at a premium and it is somewhat set back from the beach. Our room had a view of the air conditioning unit. That being said, she still has class way beyond her competitors. The front desk was somehat clueless, one day the room did not get made up until 4. You have to understand what you book. This place is NOT going to be new with fabulous furniture and sleek design. Its a walk into the past, a chance to be part of what was Cape May and experience the essence of this place. If that is what you want, then this is the place to be. Wonderful sitting porches and beautiful grounds...;.

2  Thank dme625