“Home away from home”
5 of 5 bubbles Review of White Dove Cottage

We can't find prices for this accommodation
White Dove Cottage
Ranked #38 of 39 Cape May B&B and Inns
New York City, New York
“Home away from home”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 3, 2013

Stayed at the White Dove Cottage from May 31 - June 2 for my 6 year anniversary. It was truly home away from home. Alison (the hostess) was incredibly accomodating from my dietary needs to where our car was parked for ease of access as we were in and out. The homemade breakfast (especially the french toast) still has me salivating when I think about it.

The locations of the B&B is perfect! Just walk down the street and make a left for the beach and amazing restaurants, or make a right for the city and shopping.

We did the horse carriage ride which lasted about 30 mins and provided a ride around the town and a history lesson to go with it. Truly worth the money. We also drove to the Cape May Lighthouse and took the 217 stairs to the top, which was surprisingly not that difficult. There's a beach right there so be sure to take your beach chairs and towels. Despite going on a Saturday, it was very quiet so no problem with finding a spot to sit. Also take the drive over to Sunset Beach where they have a flag ceremony every day at sunset to honor our fallen Veterans. It was a nice touch as you watched the sun set which was absolutely gorgeous. If you have the time, do the bike rentals and take a ride around town. I didn't personally do this but it seemed tons of fun. I am already planning my next visit with the whole family in tow. Truly amazing weekend getaway!

Room Tip: The higher you go, the smaller the room gets. Afterall, it's a house so by the time you get to t...
  • Stayed May 2013, traveled as a couple
2 Thank SweetSimi

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (7)
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 1, 2013

We decided to take a spontaneous road trip for our wedding anniversary. I grew up every summer in Cape Cod. We wound up in Cape May at this quaint bed & breakfast & it just felt like home! Alison could not have been more accommodating! Her dog loved my dog. Our room with the tall (up to my waist) 4-poster bed & gas fireplace in the living room was so incredibly comfortable. There was even a mini refrigerator. You can sit on the front porch and watch the horse-drawn carriages pass right by the front of the house. The home is just a block's walk from either the beach or the pedestrian plaza. The room comfort is only surpassed by the delicious home made breakfast. Our hostess had plenty of helpful advise for things to do and is very conversational. I felt like we were visiting a friend & can't wait to go back!

• Stayed May 2013, traveled as a couple
2 Thank Anitak53
New York City, New York
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 3, 2013

Every room in this charming B&B is more beautiful than the next. The rooms--and the entire house--have been decorated with great care, and everything is so atmospheric and lovely. Also we had homemade scones in the morning that were the best I've ever tasted. Recommend!

• Stayed February 2013, traveled with friends
2 Thank NYCgal_13
NYC
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 12, 2013

Allison was a wonderful hostess and the White Dove B&B was everything one could wish for. Great location near the beach and beautifully appointed, there are special rooms, one with a separate sitting room and another with a jacuzzi. Everything was immaculate and the beds, linens and bathrooms were so comfortable. My highest recommendation goes to the White Dove for those who want to experience a perfect Cape May Victorian B&B.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled with friends
1 Thank NYCBunyip
Palm City, Florida
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 14, 2012

The location of this B&B cannot be beat. Right from our entrance, this B&B is very welcoming. We had a 3rd floor room, but it was an easy climb even with my Autoimmune arthritis. The room we had was one of the smallest rooms, which we were aware of when we booked it--it was a last minute reservation for us. The decor was charming throughout. We were most impressed though with the cleanliness of the place! It was absolutely, positively spotless! No dust to be seen anywhere! I would have to say that it is the cleanest places that I have ever stayed-- pricier hotels cannot compare to how clean it was. Even though the room was small, the private bathroom was adequately sized. The water pressure was great and more than enough hot water. We especially loved the towels...very luxurious and generously sized. In the evening, you can hear the horse drawn carriages coming down the street which just adds to the wonderful experience of staying in a historic home. At night, even though the B&B was totally booked, it was very quiet and relaxing. Definitely recommend this B&B and would stay there again!

Room Tip: Plan ahead and book early for one of the larger rooms.
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple
1 Thank L W
Brooklyn, New York
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 5, 2012

I'm a traveler on a budget, so this luxurious B&B was quite a splurge for me - went for it because I was running out of pet-friendly options to make for a 4 night stay through the 4th of July holiday.
I had the room on the 2nd floor, with a comfortable king sized bed, a separate sitting room that I made good use of for my daily internet dosage, and a double-headed shower in the bathroom which came in handy when a family visiting with me for the day needed to do a quick change from the beach to make our dinner reservations. The breakfasts both mornings were divine - coddled eggs served in ham baskets, and french toast stuffed with cream cheese and apricots - plus coffee, juice, fresh fruit, and a delicious pastry. The house is on a very beautiful, shady street, ideally located - 2 1/2 blocks from the beach, 1 1/2 blocks from the Washington Street shopping mall. Meticulously kept yet comfortable, tasteful but not fussy. A great find!

• Stayed July 2012, traveled solo
4 Thank HLaurie
Metairie, Louisiana
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 26, 2012

This is where my mom wanted to stay for her 90th birthday. We were here for 3 days. Beautiful Victorian home. Allison the owner is wonderful and will make you feel at home.
Each day breakfast started with coffee, juice, fresh fruit and homemade baked goods. The main course each day was different and very nice, one day we were served "Toad in a hole" thats a fried egg in the middle of a piece of toast that the center had been cut out.
Homemade banana pancakes the next day, and the third day was a cute slice of ham that was formed into a cup with an egg in the middle.
Each floor of the house share a mini fridge that is in a common area and Allison has bottled water stocked in each one . Each room had 2 wine glasses with a cork screw and the porch has 7 rockers for your enjoyment, One word of warning have some insect repellent as the mosquitoes were out.
Anything you need to know about Cape May Allison can tell you. She will give you an honest opinion on restaurants and we did not have one bad meal when there.
We did find out the hard way that the key word in Cape May is reservation, reservation reservation. If its dinner, carriage ride or para-sailing make reservations.

Room Tip: This is a 200 year plus old house. I had 33 steps and 4 landings to the third floor. Keep in mind st...
  • Stayed June 2012, traveled on business