“Arts & Crafts Style Beach Lodge”
Review of Rhythm of the Sea

and 1 more site!
Rhythm of the Sea
Ranked #28 of 40 Cape May B&B and Inns
Reviewed August 20, 2012

We visited for a long weekend in June and wished we could have stayed longer. The inn is a beautiful Arts & Crafts style building........like a mountain lodge, only it's on the beach with wonderful large windows that allow the sea breeze in. Our room had a balcony and we spent time out there enjoying the sound of the ocean in the evening and watching dolphins in the morning.

Breakfast was wonderful each day and filled us up until dinner! We didn't have any special requests or dietary restrictions, but I do remember specifically reading that I could note any special dietray concerns when I made our reservation. They came to our table each morning and told us the day's breakfast offering and we could have made requests at that time too......like no toast, only fruit, etc. It actually amazes me that some of the reviewers on TripAdvisor complain about the breakfast! if people are extremely picky eaters or don't read the instructions on when to note they have a dietary restriction, B&B's are probably not the best lodging choice for them. We have stayed at many B&B's and Rhythm of the Sea ranks high on our list of "Best B&B Breakfasts Ever"!

We made good use of the complimentary towels, beach chairs, and beach umbrella each afternoon. The beach is just a short stroll across the street. I had the best mint iced tea upon returning from the beach one afternoon....Robyn had just put it out for the afternoon refreshment.

There is a big fireplace in the main room that would be cozy in cool weather. This is truly an inn at the beach which can be inviting year round.

We would love to return in the Fall.........and until then, I enjoy the memory whenever I have my morning tea in the Rhythm of the Sea mug we purchased before check out.

• Stayed: June 2012, traveled as a couple
1  Thank KimfromPA
kiwikraut, Owner at Rhythm of the Sea, responded to this reviewResponded August 22, 2012

We love it when our guests enjoy all we have to offer! We are a year round establishment and would love to see you in the fall, our personal favorite time of the year. The crowds are gone, kids are back in school and above all warm, balmy breezes without the awful humidity and the water temperature is the warmest of all year. Thank you for your compliments on the breakfast and service. We do try and it amazes us when a gluten free request results in an empty plate of cookies or they spy our French Toast and change their minds. However, not to diminish the dear guest who truly does have a gluten allergy. We have special mixes and our preparation make certain there is no cross contamination. See you again soon!
Robyn, Wolfgang and Julie

Reviewed August 2, 2012

A must stay bed and breakfast. Accomodations are excellent. Rooms are very clean and comfortable. Breakfast is out of this world. Have stayed at quite a few B&B's and this inn is by far the very best. Enjoyed the bike runs everyday to Washington Mall and boardwalk. It is just a short walk across the street to the beach. Beach chairs and towels are provided if needed. Afternoon refreshments everyday at 3 PM...Could not ask for a better vacation.

Room Tip: All rooms are great. Rooms 1 and 2 face the ocean.
Reviewed July 25, 2012

We stayed in Room 4 (Seabreeze Sleeping Porch) for four nights this month. We've been to many other B&Bs in Cape May and this was the best location by far. The proximity to the beach and the sense of bring a bit "away from it all" were outstanding. We enjoyed the bikes and beach towels that the inn supplied. Our room was larger than it appears on the website, well furnished and comfortable. On the downside, the flatscreen TV was not suitable for viewing from any distance as it was the size of a computer screen.

The breakfast was a bit of a disappointment both in terms of quality and selection. I agree with other reviewers that substitutions are not welcome. At many other B&Bs, there's fruit, cereal or baked goods out buffet style in addition to the hot entree. This makes it possible to pass on the main and still get some breakfast. We skipped at least one morning because the entree was not to our liking.

We had a couple of issues along the way with housekeeping not cleaning our room and wineglasses not replenished. Overall, we had a more impersonal experience with the staff/owner than we're used to at a B&B. If not for the perfect location for a summer getaway, we might not return.

• Stayed: July 2012, traveled as a couple
kiwikraut, Owner at Rhythm of the Sea, responded to this reviewResponded July 26, 2012

Thank you for staying with us and for your recent review. We are pleased you found our location to your liking as we do promote "peaceful privacy away from the madding crowd yet close enough to stroll to all the action!" The Seabreeze Sleeping Porch is one of my favorites due to the row of windows that let in light and a decent view of the ocean. You are right, the TV is a computer monitor and we are attending to upgrading to HD flat screen TV's.

As much as we try to offer a varied breakfast to please every palette we sometimes need the guests' input to guide us as everyone has their likes and dislikes. We inquire at the time of confirmation how we can modify our menu to suit your tastes. We prefer to offer a fresh hot breakfast, cooked to order, as there is no room to set up a buffet and there is a lot of waste on a buffet. Besides, we like to serve you! This is just one of the many amenities we offer during your stay and it is not mandatory, so when someone wants to sleep in or try the diner that is their choice. We alternate sweet and savory dishes. With the sweet dishes, this incorporates the fruit and the starch (French Toast, Waffles, Pancakes, etc) and always with a breakfast meat and the savory dishes always begin with a fruit starter and have a baked good on the side. Many, many times our guests have requested fruit plate or our homemade granola or simply our own multigrain toast to substitute for a cooked breakfast. All we ask is a little advance notice, before you check in, to be better prepared to serve you. We accommodate low fat, dairy free, diabetic, gluten free, vegan all the time. So don't hesitate to let us know next time and we are happy to oblige.

Our Housekeeper attends to the room cleaning while our guests are enjoying breakfast. If a guest does not come to breakfast then we try our best to anticipate when they are out of the room so as not to disturb them. Our housekeeper is only available to freshen the room during the morning hours and will not go into a room when the 'do not disturb' sign is on the door, and some guests forget to remove it. I cannot really tell you why your room was not freshened but the above mentioned are the usual reasons and we are sorry we did not know at the time as the Innkeeper would have assisted.

Wine glasses are in the salon for everyone to help themselves to. We do try to make sure all available glasses are put back out in the Salon but do rely on guests to bring them down from their room for washing. Sometimes we find this does not happen and it leaves us short to put out clean glasses. We have had a case of new glasses delivered recently so this should avoid any unfortunate shortages.

As owners and Innkeepers we interact with our guests on their terms. We are always available before and during breakfast service and definitely throughout the day unless we have run to the store for groceries or some unexpected errand calls us away from the Inn. We always approach guests who are perusing the restaurant menus offering recommendations if needed. We do not live on premises so usually after 6pm we have gone home but always point out our phone number in the event that a guest is in need of something. It's a fine line with Innkeeping to offer the guest privacy and attention all at the same time and sometimes need the lead from the guests that they would like to interact. We hope you do return!

Best regards,
Robyn Wendt
Owner/Innkeeper

We hope that you will try us again in the near future for your getaway and don't hesitate to let us know your preferences so we can offer you all that you are looking for in a B&B stay.

Reviewed July 9, 2012

Here are my complaints in ascending order of you-must-be-kidding:
1.Noisy, inefficient A/C and the water took a long time to warm even a little.
2. We got out of a hot car after a 3-hour drive only to be dragged around and given a lengthy and unneccessary tour of the house and grounds. When we finally were given our keys the worker at the hotel followed us in to the room and wouldn't leave until I had to give her a hint that we wanted to be left alone.
3. Both my boyfriend and I are diabetic. When we asked ahead of time if we could have eggs for breakfast, rather than pancakes or something sugary, we were assured that would be fine if we reminded them every day. Once we got there this turned into an ongoing ordeal where the situation was affirmed and reaffirmed time and again as though they had never had anyone ever come through with dietary restrictions and it was made clear that this was the biggest favor in the entire world to accomdate us. When my boyfriend said for the hundreth time that yes, eggs or maybe a little omelette would be fine, the owner? said OH no, an omelette would be far too much to ask as her chef had enough to do. (The place has 8 rooms by my count.) For $265 a night I think we could get a piece of cheese or two without a fuss.
4. My boyfriend likes to fish and I got him a charter on a boat, so he asked if there were any place he could store them for one day. Again, this was met with consternation. The freezer was in the cellar, they didn't have liability insurance for him to go down there and use it, and there are no fridges in the rooms. Finally she (owner again? dark-haired woman) showed him where the freezer was but I was ordered twice to stay in the chair I was sitting in and not follow (YOU-pointing a finger at me-stay there!) even though I made no move to accompany them, and I was told to shut the office door, like we were doing something shady and someone might see.
5. The second we walked in the lobby someone was always running out to see what we were doing like we were going to steal something. When we went in the public cooler to retrieve a bottle of wine we had chilling, the hotel worker actually ran out from the office, across the room, and leaned in to see what we were touching/absconding with. Rich and I are clean-cut professionals in our mid-forties and not accustomed to being treated like a couple of thieving kids!
B&Bs are supposed to be friendly and run by outgoing people, not fake, power-starved snoops. They are supposed to make one feel like family, not a nuisance. I come to Cape May several times each year and have never been treated like this. I can find prettier, cheaper, friendlier elsewhere...and I will.

5  Thank Cloudywoman
Reviewed May 16, 2012

If you want the perfect Bed and Breakfast in Cape May, then this is it. My partner and I stayed there last July and we enjoyed everything from the very very open layout of the first floor to the huge rooms and the 100% perfect maid service.

When you walk into the open first floor with the large number of doors and sliding doors that are open to embrace the ocean front breeze and all of the light that you could possibly imagine, you feel like you are a billionaire owner of your own beach house right on the beach.

Everything is decorated professionally and better than any bed and breakfast you will ever see. It is no wonder this bed and breakfast has won awards as one of the best in the nation (www.bedandbreakfast.com).

Breakfast is served in a very large dining room and you have your own HUGE table to share with your partner, but I am sure that you can share with another couple, but I did not see any couples sharing when we were there. Breakfast was always something extraordinary and done to perfection, with plenty of variety, and surprise. Prepare for your taste buds to be filled with flavor.

It's the little things that this B&B offers that make it stand out above the others, such as the expensive coffee mugs that they offer with coffee 24 hours in the main room, the refrigerator that is available to store your cold drinks, wine or any food, wine glasses to use any time, a huge pool table, location of the house is right across from the entrance to the beach.

Menus with this B&B's favorite places, which they recommend, are in the living room as well. I have never seen that at any other B&B. This B&B's taste of restaurants is extremely reliable and accurate. Trust them when they recommend any restaurants, they know what they are talking about.

There is also a beautiful side room/deck on the north side of the front "open" porch room which a swinging love couch that my partner and I basked in glory as we viewed the ocean when we arrive...I thought I was in heaven...I found myself getting coffee and just sitting in the open front porch with open doors, breathing in the fresh clean air from the ocean quite often, with one of their coffee mugs in hand...tranquility at its best...

The air in this B&B is always flowing, clean and full of positive energy. The lounge chairs in the front porch must be expensive and are extremely fluffy and comfortable.

Julie and Robyn are very accommodating and extremely thoughtful. They know what they are doing. Julie is very easy to talk to, kind, and professional in every way. You will not find a better hostess.

Every penny spent is worth it because of everything they offer.

I hesitated to write a review because I wanted to keep such a gem a secret...

• Stayed: July 2011, traveled as a couple
Management response:Responded July 11, 2012

We were thrilled you found us to be your perfect getaway place! We look forward to seeing you again very soon.
Robyn

Reviewed April 27, 2012

We stayed at Rhythm of the Sea for 2 days......It was absolutely beautiful!!!! convenient to nearby attractions....Washington Street Mall.....restaurants....and other shops!!! The best part...you are 10 steps away from the beach!!
The Innkeeper, Robyn was awesome!!!!! Sooooooo kind... helpful and most accommodating!!!
The breakfast the next morning was simply divine!!!!
We had terrible weather that weekend....but our stay was still AMAZING!!!! We look forward to going back in the "near" future!!!

Room Tip: Its all about the view!!!! The website offers pictures of all of the rooms and a detailed descriptio...
  • Stayed: April 2012, traveled as a couple
Reviewed March 4, 2012

We could not have asked for a more pleasant stay. Julie, our hostess, was extremely helpful and gracious. She helped us find good eats and interesting sites. The room itself was lovely and offered a fireplace and view of the ocean. Breakfast was a gourmet treat. What sets this B & B apart is its laid back attitude and contemporary ambiance. We're not the Victorian B & B types so this was a perfect fit. Another great feature of this place is that bikes are offered free of charge if you wish. We will be adding this to our list of places to return!

• Stayed: March 2012