“Great Thanksgiving trip”
Review of The Queen Victoria

The Queen Victoria
Ranked #4 of 40 Cape May B&B and Inns
Reviewed November 30, 2013

We stayed here for our Thanksgiving trip so that we could see the Holiday lights. It was our first time at Queen Victoria. We booked in the early summer for our trip and found that we didn't even get first pick of rooms, so 'd recommend booking early. I booked online and was a little confused because I saw something on the website that said "Thanksgiving package", so I called up and the woman seemed a little confused and said there was no Thanksgiving package.

I was concerned about getting an early reservation for Thanksgiving dinner since I've made the mistake of thinking I can wait until October before making reservations for Thanksgiving at other places and it seemed like restaurants book up quickly. I was told that there would be dinner recommendations sent to me in late October and I was afraid of waiting that long. I did my own research and found the Ebbitt Room to have good reviews for Thanksgiving.

When I did receive the e-mail, I explained I made reservations for the Ebbit Room and asked if them if they had any particular favorite restaurants, maybe ones their guests came back with positive reviews for in the past and I was told they had complete confidence in all of the ones they listed in their e-mail and that Ebbitt Room was most expensive. That disappointed me a little since I was looking for a little more direction.

We left Thanksgiving morning for our trip and there was no traffic getting there so had no troubles there. Our room was ready immediately, at 12pm. I had received a phone call the day before asking when we would be coming in because they wanted to send their staff home for the holiday and they would be there I think until 2 or 3.

We had the Hampton Court room. It had a gas fireplace and whirlpool. The fireplace gets the room really hot and I had to open the window a few times afterward. Overall the room was very nice and nicely decorated. The only complaints I would have (which really can't be avoided) are the noise - I think from the heater and the water pressure. The noises kept me up a bit at night, but since the house is old I guess it happens. The water pressure was terrible in the shower and made washing my hair a little difficult.

There were Thanksgiving h'orderves in the afternoon which were delicious and that gave us the opportunity to meet our hosts, who wonder great to talk to. We had dinner at the Ebbitt Room (which was very nice) and then called it a night early. The next day we spent shopping and going to the zoo. Breakfast was delicious and afternoon tea was nice, but crowded. We did the Christmas Ghost tour which would have been a lot nicer if it wasn't for the drunk guy sitting in front of us. That's also when we saw how hard it was finding parking around there, even when it's not the summer. I can't even imagine finding parking in the summer, it must be really hard.

The last day of breakfast was the most delicious and crowded. There are three houses that serve breakfast and a family of four was having a hard time finding a place for all of them to sit. The breads they had were really delicious though and I even got to take some home!

All in all, a great stay in Cape May and would definitely return. The owners and real Victorian decor are what really makes this place stand out. I can't believe this place is only #3 on Trip Advisor.

One final note, even though it was too cold for the beach this place was one short block from the water. Most of the places around there were shutdown in November but I think the location would be ideal in the summer. I'd highly recommend a room with a parking spot though in the summer!

• Stayed: November 2013, traveled as a couple
QV-Doug, Owner at The Queen Victoria, responded to this reviewResponded December 2, 2013

Thanks for the nice review Jennifer. I'm so glad that your Thanksgiving trip to The Queen Victoria was a great one. Thanksgiving is a wonderful and beautiful time to visit Cape May, which explains why we already had so many bookings when you reserved your room. Many of our guests return every year, making us their home for the holiday. I'm sorry about the confusion with the "Package" you saw on our website (I'll have to clean that up). We've found that with all the special menus that restaurants have for Thanksgiving, the package concept didn't work very well. I understand your feelings about the feedback we gave you regarding the Ebbitt room, but we really don't recommend any restaurants that we don't feel are wonderful. I'm sure you saw our "Favorite" star listed next to their name on the restaurant list, making them one of our particular favorites (I took my wife there for our anniversary this year). I'm guessing that we also listed 4-5 other restaurants, all of which are equally good. You would have loved any one of them. We are really spoiled when it comes to great restaurants in Cape May.

I'm so pleased that you enjoyed the food we served at breakfast, tea, and the special reception that we hosted on Thanksgiving. We always try to make sure there is enough variety for everyone's personal preferences.

I wish you had said something about the shower pressure to us while you were here, so we could have addressed it right away and eliminated an irritant for you. The building itself has wonderful pressure, but the little filter screens inside the shower head can trap some sediments and reduce the pressure.

I can certainly understand your thoughts about parking, but I can honestly say it has never taken me longer than 5 minutes to find a parking spot in the 10 years my wife and I have owned the inn. During the summer season, when the meters are turned on, most of our guests park a block to two from the inn in the residential streets. Since almost everything is walking distance to the inn, they rarely use their cars during their stay. What a joy ... to be car free for a few days!

Write a ReviewReviews (1,093)

Reviewed October 24, 2013

Early October was our first visit to Cape May, NJ. Our get-away was with family members who have been singing the praises of the Queen Victoria B&B and of Doug and Anna Marie McMain, the owners/innkeepers. The location of the inn was perfect for shopping, dining and close to the beach with sidewalks for a brisk seasonal walk. Our room was charming, clean and comfortable, every detail of both the room and bath was perfect. In fact, Doug and Anna Marie have it all covered, above and beyond what a guest would want, anticipate or ever need. Their staff was always helpful and pleasant, be it a question or advice on a dinner reservation. Nice variety of rooms to choose from and I have to mention that the breakfasts and the "tea times" were fabulous. All in all, a delightful stay! We will definitely be visiting again, we already feel like cherished friends.

Room Tip: check out their website to view the rooms - if you want privacy, you can choose other buildings near...
  • Stayed: October 2013, traveled as a couple
QV-Doug, Owner at The Queen Victoria, responded to this reviewResponded October 26, 2013

I'm so glad that your first visit to The Queen Victoria was all you were told it would be. We really do try to provide everything that we think our guests might want or need, and it is gratifying to know that we are hitting the mark. What a wonderful compliment! It was a pleasure having you stay with us and I'm so happy to hear that you're planning to return again (hopefully soon!).

Thanks so much.

Reviewed October 21, 2013

Anna Marie greeted us warmly after our bit of a chilly motorcycle ride from Harleysville Pa to Cape May. Our stay at the Queen Victoria was wonderful. Comfy setting very welcoming. The Queen Victoria is immaculate outside and inside. The grounds are beautiful. The front porch with rocking chairs is a perfect place from your morning cup of
Joe to evening reflections of your wonderful day. High tea is served at 4 with yummy treats. Anna Marie made sure we has dinner reservations. She had menus on site to review.The sheets on the beds were a perfect match to the ever so ahhhh mattress and feather pillows. Our breakfast was warm, tasty and friendly to even the fussiest eater. Doug was just delightful as he warmed up our coffee and answered our questions. We had a great time singing with the player piano in the parlor !! as we wound down our evening.Visit the Queen Victorian you will not be disappointed as Doug and Anna Marie and their staff pay attention to the details !!

Room Tip: The rooms are very clean and decorated to perfection.
  • Stayed: October 2013, traveled with friends

Thanks for posting this wonderful review Wendy. It was such a pleasure meeting you and the rest of the crew. I'm so pleased that you enjoyed your visit to The Queen Victoria so much. Breakfast and Tea Time are always fun, social affairs, and they were even more so with you all in the room.

I'm pretty sure that there were a few things that you didn't manage to squeeze in, despite your best efforts, so I'm hoping that we'll get to see you all again in the not too distant future.

Reviewed October 11, 2013

Wow! Our room Gilbert & Sullivan was so quaint with a gas fireplace. Doug( the owner) was there at breakfast serving coffee and made us feel terrific! Unfortunately, the weather was awful...constant rain & wind. The afternoon tea was wonderful too, See ya next year!

• Stayed: October 2013, traveled as a couple

I'm so glad that you enjoyed the Gilbert & Sullivan room so much. I really like it too, and think it is one of our best values in the inn. I'm sorry we couldn't deliver perfect weather for your visit, but it sounds like you had a great 20th Anniversary anyway. Thanks so much for choosing The Queen Victoria for your big celebration.

We'll see you next year!

Reviewed October 11, 2013 via mobile

We have been guests of this Inn for over 30 years. It has only improved over time in the hands of the present owners. The addition of wifi and other wired services have not taken away from the attention to detail in providing comfort. You will really feel like a pampered guest. The breakfasts and afternoon teas are delicious and abundant. Bikes are new and beach chairs are plentiful along with beach towels. Rooms are varied and all are very comfortable and very well maintained. An added bonus are the well stocked house kitchens supplied with teas, coffees, water and sodas and nighttime snacks. Turn down service with chocolate money. It doesn't get better than this.

• Stayed: September 2013
1  Thank Hepton

I'm so happy that The Queen Victoria continues to be your Cape May home after all these years (and keeps getting better!). It has been such a pleasure getting to know you over the years. I hope we'll get to see you again soon.

Reviewed September 27, 2013

This was my first trip to Cape May and I'm so glad that I chose to stay at the Queen Victoria. My husband and I were celebrating our anniversary and, when we entered our room, there was a picture of the inn on our bed with a message wishing us a happy anniversary. Our room was charming and had a beautiful, spacious bathroom. In addition, the location couldn't be more convenient. We were within a short walking distance to the beach, shopping and restaurants. The breakfasts were delicious and I loved that the inn provided us with beach chairs. I would definitely stay there again.

• Stayed: July 2013, traveled as a couple
QV-Doug, Owner at The Queen Victoria, responded to this reviewResponded September 28, 2013

I'm so happy that you found Cape May and chose The Queen Victoria for your anniversary celebration. We're always thrilled to play host to special celebrations. I'm glad that you liked the print of the inn. I'm with you, I love our location. The Queen Victoria is literally a short walk to almost anything that I can imagine doing in Cape May. Of course, our bicycles will get you everywhere else. I wish you many more happy anniversaries. I hope that you'll join us again for one in the not too distant future. Thanks again for choosing The Queen Victoria for your visit!

Reviewed September 20, 2013

My husband and I stayed at the Queen Victoria several weeks ago. it was our third stay in the past 10 years or so. Everything is top notch at this lovely inn. Relaxing and people watching on the porches is always a treat. The inn is well maintained and exceptionally clean. Just a short walk to beach, mall and restaurants.

• Stayed: August 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank ssvw27
QV-Doug, Owner at The Queen Victoria, responded to this reviewResponded September 21, 2013

Thanks so much for taking the time to share your feelings about The Queen Victoria. I'm so pleased that you enjoyed your visit(s) with us so much. We work hard to maintain and clean the inn because we know how important it is to you (and all of our guests). I hope we'll have the pleasure of your company again soon.

Doug McMain