“Second Visit”
Review of The Queen Victoria

The Queen Victoria
Ranked #4 of 40 Cape May B&B and Inns
Reviewed June 26, 2013

My daughter and I just returned from a three night stay here, a mother-daughter mini vacation. We stayed in the Lillie Langtree room in the main building. This was my second visit, and it was just as good as my first. The house is immaculate, the owners and staff are kind and friendly and helpful. We enjoyed the many amenities offered -- pantries open and stocked 24/7 with bottled water, soda, juice, coffee and tea available 24 hrs., use of bicycles, beach chairs and towels, afternoon tea with delicious goodies, amazing breakfasts. It is so enjoyable to choose a porch to relax on and watch the world go by. You really are made to feel right at home, with use of the parlors and sitting areas. The location is perfect! We'll be back!

• Stayed: June 2013, traveled with family
QV-Doug, Owner at The Queen Victoria, responded to this reviewResponded July 1, 2013

Hi Debra. It was really a pleasure seeing you again and getting to meet Christine. I'm glad that your return visit to The Queen Victoria was as nice for you as your first one. Cape May is such a great town for "girls getaways". I'm am glad that you and your daughter enjoyed it so much. Thanks for commenting on our housekeeping and amenities. We want every visit for every guest to be perfect. I hope yours was.

I hope we get to see you again soon!

Reviewed June 26, 2013

This was our first time visiting Cape May and thought it would be a good location to celebrate our anniversary. We chose the Queen Victoria based on TA reviews and were not disapointed. We had a lovely room (Princess Louise)-beautifully decorated and very comfortable. The stairs didn't bother us but they can be a nuisance when checking in and out. This B&B has a great location-close to the beach, restaurants, entertainment and shopping. The breakfasts are very good and plenty of variety. Housekeeping is excellent. They offer free use of bikes, beach chairs and towels, which is very nice. Highly recommend the Queen Victoria for a pleasant stay in Cape May. Only other comment is in regard to parking and this is not a reflection of the QV, as off street parking is at a premium, but only a few rooms come with parking provided. Otherwise, you are on your own. After some searching around, we found a spot just a block away and didn't move our car for the duration.

Room Tip: The rooms on the street side are going to be noisier from street traffic (esp. from horse drawn carr...
  • Stayed: June 2013, traveled as a couple

Thanks for taking the time to post this review. I'm very pleased that you enjoyed your visit to Cape May and The Queen Victoria. I really like the Princess Louise room, so I'm glad you liked it too. I think it probably has the best "bathroom view of the beach" in town. The good thing about those stairs is they help compensate for all the eating most of us do while we are in Cape May. I'm glad the parking thing worked out OK for you. It sounds like you found a spot pretty close to the inn and were "car free" for your entire stay. One of the wonderful things about Cape May is that everything is centrally located within a few blocks walking distance.
Thanks again for choosing The Queen Victoria for your Cape May visit. I hope we'll have the opportunity to serve you again one day.

Reviewed June 19, 2013

Decided to extend our stay in Cape May and wanted to try the Queen Victoria. They had one room available and were very accommodating for a one night stay. It was the best sleep we had all week. The inn is kept very clean and they have lots of nice amenities such as bikes, beach chairs, a pantry with coffee, tea and beverages as well as snacks you have access to all night. The afternoon tea was very nice with some savory as well as sweet goodies! Breakfast was delicious, not a cheesy continental breakfast, but a real breakfast buffet with a delicious egg casserole, sausages, variety of fresh baked muffins and tea breads, cereal, bagels, yogurt, fresh fruit, coffee, tea, and fresh squeezed juice. Everything is presented very nicely! The innkeepers Doug and Annamarie were the friendliest! They really make you feel at home and enjoy talking with their guests! Their staff is also very friendly and accommodating. The room was very comfy and the bed was awesome! The best night sleep I had the whole week. They give you chocolate coins at turndown and the bath products are really nice too. Handcrafted soaps in a bayberry scent was a very nice treat compared to standard hotel/motel bath amenities. Cannot wait to come back to cape may and stay at the Queen Victoria. Highly recommend it, you will not be disappointed!

1  Thank Caitlin M
QV-Doug, Owner at The Queen Victoria, responded to this reviewResponded June 20, 2013

Thanks for the great review. I was so pleased that you extended your Cape May visit with a night at The Queen Victoria. It was a real pleasure meeting you both. I'm really glad that you enjoyed yourselves so much during your stay with us. Your attention to all of the details of the inn is amazing ... you noticed everything!

I hope that we'll have the pleasure of your company again soon.

Reviewed June 18, 2013

We came to the Queen Victoria for our 15th anniversary. Five years ago we made reservations at the QV but due to some unforseen circumstances, we had to cancel. Having our reservation cancelled and our deposit returned was extremely painless, so we made sure that when we were ready to come to Cape May, we were staying at the Queen Victoria. Neither of us had ever been to Cape May before and we weren't sure what to expect. I had a hard time picking a room because I wasn't sure of the location or merits of each room so I just took a chance and booked the Hampton Court.

We told Marie that we would be there at 9pm on Friday night, however we got stuck in traffic, so I called and spoke to Marie who told us that it was no trouble, that we were close and that we should drive carefully and not to rush. We got to the QV at about 930pm where we checked in (painless) and got a run down as to where to eat, what to do, the times of breakfast and tea, etc. Marie patiently explained everything to us and made sure all of our questions were answered.

We were told that we could keep our car at the unloading area and park it first thing in the morning. It turns out that we parked our car about a block away and didn't touch it the entire time we were there. So I can't really call parking an issue.

Our room was very clean and comfortable. The owners have thought of everything, right down to the QV umbrella stashed in the closet. We also had a beautiful drawing of the QV commemorating our anniversary...very cool touch. We will frame it for sure! I did have trouble getting our whirlpool tub to work, but all I had to do was look at the black binder located in our room to find out how to work it. So there's a free tip... look at your room binder to see how things in your room work... We also liked the turn down service in the evenings and the prompt room cleaning while we were at breakfast.

My understanding on the rooms is that every one is different and you have to pick one based on your needs/wants. Our room was in the Prince Albert Hall which is where the giant porch is and one of the buildings that has breakfast and tea. I really liked the location of our room.

We were blessed with awesome weather, so we ate all of our breakfast outside on the porch and also had tea on the porch as well. Our second morning there Doug and Anna Marie spotted us when we came down for breakfast and immediately made sure we had a comfortable place to sit on the porch and set us up with coffee. For breakfast, we had a hot dish (blueberry French toast, Cheese blintz egg souffle and a southwestern egg dish) delicious coffee, muffins, breads, granola, yogurt, fruit and cereal. So in other words, you won't go hungry.

At tea time you get iced tea (or you can have regular tea if you're hard core) little cakes, crackers with dip, and biscotti or chocolate cake. It was different every day. One word of advice... pace yourselves people... our first day we over did it with the tea and it goofed up our dinner plans.

On our second day I convinced my husband to ride the bikes around. He was complaining because they didn't have bikes with gears... turns out, you don't need gears to ride around Cape May, it's as flat as a pancake. I got the husband to calm down about the gears. The available bikes are a great perk to staying at the QV.

The QV is smack in the middle of everything. Just a block away from the shops and restaurants and the beach. The location was absolutely perfect.

We will definitely be back to the QV... maybe Christmastime?

• Stayed: June 2013, traveled as a couple

Thanks for the great review. I'm so happy that you were able to make it for your 15th Anniversary. I really enjoyed getting to meet you both and I'm very glad that you enjoyed your visit with us. I'm glad you mentioned the parking, because despite the general perceptions about Cape May's parking situation, the truth of it is that parking really is no big deal. Most guests find a spot within 5 minutes and never see their car during their entire visit ... they don't need it. I hope we DO get to see you again soon. Cape May is truly magical during the Christmas season, so that would be a good time to consider for a return visit.

Thanks again,

Reviewed June 18, 2013

This was my third time staying at the Queen Victoria. The first time I stayed I had a weekend to myself with out kids and I found this place to stay. I enjoyed it so much I've returned 2 more times, so far. The last time I brought my boyfriend with me and we participated in the wine tasting/blending at The Cape May Winery. The rooms are beautiful and very comfortable. The breakfasts were delicious. The afternoon tea is wonderful. There is access to bicycles to use while staying there - perfect for riding to the southernmost tip of Cape May. The location is great - near the beach, many shops and great restaurants. Anna Marie and Doug McMain are the most gracious and helpful inn keepers. You can tell they enjoy what they are doing. I plan going back yearly.

• Stayed: February 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank hfc624
QV-Doug, Owner at The Queen Victoria, responded to this reviewResponded June 19, 2013

Thanks so much for this wonderful review. I'm so happy that you enjoy your visits to The Queen Victoria so much. Isn't the wine blending weekend a blast? It is definitely a fun excuse to come to Cape May on a February weekend. I hope you'll join us again next year too! We do love what we do. Hosting happy, friendly and fun guests is a great job (especially when we get to participate in the wine blending party with them!).

Reviewed June 18, 2013

This was our first trip to Cape May and it was my husband and my first weekend away together in several years, to celebrate my 50th birthday, so I did lots of homework to find where we would want to spend 3 nights. I'm glad I settled on The Queen Victoria. Upon our checkin, where Maria was unbelievably friendly and helpful, we knew it was going to be a wonderful weekend. Doug and Mary Ann have thought of everything, including a listing of area restaurants and their recommended places to eat, stocking a pantry in the building with water, drinks, and snacks for the taking, having an umbrella in your room, and chairs and towels for the beach. Because I'm an earlier riser than my husband, I wanted a room with a sitting area-- I chose the King Edward room. It is spacious! Very comfortable furniture, a huge bathroom. I think the bed is only a full-size, which was hard for us to get used to since we usually sleep in a king, but it was very cozy with great pillows (I travel with my own pillow and could have left it at home!). Breakfasts were very tasty and plentiful. We had a private balcony which is not accessible through the room, but right outside the room. A little difficult if I just wanted to sit out there in the morning without having to worry about a key and taking my coffee cup--and that's not noted on their website which might be good to disclose. The only other negative was the bathroom. The description on the website says "an integrated European-style hydro-massage shower" with the whirlpool tub. And it is. However, it was the most awkward shower I've ever had. The shower head does not sit very high on the wall and there is a seat in the tub which prohibits you from getting close to the shower head. I've posted a picture-- it really should be easier to get a shower for a room at this price. But, those two things did not affect our overall experience. I would stay here again in a heartbeat-- I would love to try some of the other rooms, too. Overall, the cleanliness, attention to detail, amenities, and proximity to the beach and restaurants is more than enough to bring us back.

Room Tip: Very quiet and private room. Loved having a wet bar with microwave and refrigerator. Large bathroom...
  • Stayed: June 2013, traveled as a couple
QV-Doug, Owner at The Queen Victoria, responded to this reviewResponded June 29, 2013

I'm so pleased that you chose to celebrate your 50th birthday at The Queen Victoria. I hope it was a wonderful and memorable birthday for you. I'm also glad that you enjoyed all of our little extra touches. We try hard to provide everything we think our guests might need and appreciate. I'm sorry that there were a couple things about the room that seemed to affect your stay with us. First, I really appreciate your feedback about mentioning on our website that the entrance to King Edward's balcony is outside the room. To be honest, it never really occurred to me that it might be problematic, but I understand what you are saying about the key. I hope it wasn't too much of an irritant for you. I know that people used to a King sized bed always feel pretty constrained in a queen (we don't have any full sized beds in the inn). A room as grand as the King Edward room deserves a king sized bed, but the bedroom section of the room can only accommodate a queen. Next time we'll make sure to find you a room with a king sized bed. Thanks for the feedback about the shower too. I've never heard any negative comments about it before, but I've always wanted to install a separate step-in shower. Next time we overhall that bathroom, I can assure you that will happen.

Reviewed June 16, 2013

I had such a great time in Cape May and enjoyed my first visit even more because of this b&b. Everything was absolutely clean (my main concern where ever I go) and gorgeous!!! My now fiance (he proposed on the porch where you can sit for breakfast) and I stayed in the Empress room on the 1st floor. It has a huge comfy bed with tons of pillows, the bathroom is to die for..there is a jacuzzi for two, a spa shower with two shower heads and beautiful counter tops and mirrors. Near the bed is a fluffy couch, huge windows and beautiful furniture. I can't forget to mention the awesome gas fireplace and the ceiling fan which is a great addition. I enjoyed hearing the sounds of the horse and carriage passing by as we had coffee in the morning in our room. We also really liked that we were able to visit the other buildings and have afternoon tea in one of the other facilities.

The food is also out of this world. Breakfast is plentiful. We fell in love with the homemade strawberry jam, and hoped to purchase some (not sure if they actually sell it). Staff members are helpful and genuinely friendly, which also makes this b&b top notch. After meeting with Doug (one of the owner's) we arrived in our room to find a drawing of the exterior of the b&b with a note typed with our names congratulating us on our engagement (Definitely will be framed..Thank you Doug and Anna Marie)! We certainly are planning a return trip maybe sometime in the winter!

• Stayed: June 2013, traveled as a couple
QV-Doug, Owner at The Queen Victoria, responded to this reviewResponded June 17, 2013

Thanks so much for the wonderful review Christina. I was so glad that I had a chance to meet you and Nando during your "Engagement Weekend"! Congratulations! I'm also glad that you enjoyed the Empress so much. It is an amazing room that has everything we could think of putting in it. Definitely a great engagement room. I'm pleased that you enjoyed the food so much during your visit. YES, we do sell the strawberry jam. You'll have to pick some up next time you visit, which I hope is soon. Best wishes to you both!