“Perfect Place to Celebrate my 50th”
Review of The Queen Victoria

The Queen Victoria
Ranked #4 of 40 Cape May B&B and Inns
Reviewed June 18, 2013

This was our first trip to Cape May and it was my husband and my first weekend away together in several years, to celebrate my 50th birthday, so I did lots of homework to find where we would want to spend 3 nights. I'm glad I settled on The Queen Victoria. Upon our checkin, where Maria was unbelievably friendly and helpful, we knew it was going to be a wonderful weekend. Doug and Mary Ann have thought of everything, including a listing of area restaurants and their recommended places to eat, stocking a pantry in the building with water, drinks, and snacks for the taking, having an umbrella in your room, and chairs and towels for the beach. Because I'm an earlier riser than my husband, I wanted a room with a sitting area-- I chose the King Edward room. It is spacious! Very comfortable furniture, a huge bathroom. I think the bed is only a full-size, which was hard for us to get used to since we usually sleep in a king, but it was very cozy with great pillows (I travel with my own pillow and could have left it at home!). Breakfasts were very tasty and plentiful. We had a private balcony which is not accessible through the room, but right outside the room. A little difficult if I just wanted to sit out there in the morning without having to worry about a key and taking my coffee cup--and that's not noted on their website which might be good to disclose. The only other negative was the bathroom. The description on the website says "an integrated European-style hydro-massage shower" with the whirlpool tub. And it is. However, it was the most awkward shower I've ever had. The shower head does not sit very high on the wall and there is a seat in the tub which prohibits you from getting close to the shower head. I've posted a picture-- it really should be easier to get a shower for a room at this price. But, those two things did not affect our overall experience. I would stay here again in a heartbeat-- I would love to try some of the other rooms, too. Overall, the cleanliness, attention to detail, amenities, and proximity to the beach and restaurants is more than enough to bring us back.

Room Tip: Very quiet and private room. Loved having a wet bar with microwave and refrigerator. Large bathroom...
  • Stayed: June 2013, traveled as a couple
QV-Doug, Owner at The Queen Victoria, responded to this reviewResponded June 29, 2013

I'm so pleased that you chose to celebrate your 50th birthday at The Queen Victoria. I hope it was a wonderful and memorable birthday for you. I'm also glad that you enjoyed all of our little extra touches. We try hard to provide everything we think our guests might need and appreciate. I'm sorry that there were a couple things about the room that seemed to affect your stay with us. First, I really appreciate your feedback about mentioning on our website that the entrance to King Edward's balcony is outside the room. To be honest, it never really occurred to me that it might be problematic, but I understand what you are saying about the key. I hope it wasn't too much of an irritant for you. I know that people used to a King sized bed always feel pretty constrained in a queen (we don't have any full sized beds in the inn). A room as grand as the King Edward room deserves a king sized bed, but the bedroom section of the room can only accommodate a queen. Next time we'll make sure to find you a room with a king sized bed. Thanks for the feedback about the shower too. I've never heard any negative comments about it before, but I've always wanted to install a separate step-in shower. Next time we overhall that bathroom, I can assure you that will happen.

Reviewed June 16, 2013

I had such a great time in Cape May and enjoyed my first visit even more because of this b&b. Everything was absolutely clean (my main concern where ever I go) and gorgeous!!! My now fiance (he proposed on the porch where you can sit for breakfast) and I stayed in the Empress room on the 1st floor. It has a huge comfy bed with tons of pillows, the bathroom is to die for..there is a jacuzzi for two, a spa shower with two shower heads and beautiful counter tops and mirrors. Near the bed is a fluffy couch, huge windows and beautiful furniture. I can't forget to mention the awesome gas fireplace and the ceiling fan which is a great addition. I enjoyed hearing the sounds of the horse and carriage passing by as we had coffee in the morning in our room. We also really liked that we were able to visit the other buildings and have afternoon tea in one of the other facilities.

The food is also out of this world. Breakfast is plentiful. We fell in love with the homemade strawberry jam, and hoped to purchase some (not sure if they actually sell it). Staff members are helpful and genuinely friendly, which also makes this b&b top notch. After meeting with Doug (one of the owner's) we arrived in our room to find a drawing of the exterior of the b&b with a note typed with our names congratulating us on our engagement (Definitely will be framed..Thank you Doug and Anna Marie)! We certainly are planning a return trip maybe sometime in the winter!

• Stayed: June 2013, traveled as a couple
QV-Doug, Owner at The Queen Victoria, responded to this reviewResponded June 17, 2013

Thanks so much for the wonderful review Christina. I was so glad that I had a chance to meet you and Nando during your "Engagement Weekend"! Congratulations! I'm also glad that you enjoyed the Empress so much. It is an amazing room that has everything we could think of putting in it. Definitely a great engagement room. I'm pleased that you enjoyed the food so much during your visit. YES, we do sell the strawberry jam. You'll have to pick some up next time you visit, which I hope is soon. Best wishes to you both!

Reviewed June 12, 2013

We went away for a long weekend without the kids. The Queen Victoria was clean and comfortable and very close to the downtown shopping area, restaurants and the beach. Everything was within easy walking distance. The breakfasts were wonderful and the nightly turn-down service was a nice touch. We would definitely stay here again!

• Stayed: April 2013
QV-Doug, Owner at The Queen Victoria, responded to this reviewResponded June 15, 2013

Thanks for taking the time to post this review Julie. I'm glad that your "date weekend without the kids" at The Queen Victoria was a good one. I'm so glad that you mentioned our location in your review, because I think it is truly one of our greatest assets. We really are in the heart of town, within easy walking distance to almost everything. I hope we'll get to see you again the next time you need a weekend away. We'll have the turn-down chocolates ready for you.

Doug

Reviewed June 11, 2013

My wife and I spent our 5th Anniversary weekend at the Queen Victoria this past weekend. My family has been coming to Cape May since I was young and my wife and try to come back to Cape May and at least stay a weekend every year, trying different Bed & Breakfasts. I think we found one we absolutely have to return to.

From the attentive and professional staff, to the flavorful breakfasts, the clean comfortable rooms, and the Victorian atmosphere surrounded by modern amenities... this place is great. They anticipated our every need and made our stay a home away from home.

To us... what really stands out about the Queen Vic is the way the owners and staff treat you as if you are a guest in their home... and go out of their way to make you feel welcome and part of their family. Whether we wanted to be left alone on the porch, or engaged in a conversation about the history of the island...they made both of us feel like we were their "niece and nephew" (as one person told us) and were visiting for a weekend.

Try the Queen Victoria... you won't be disappointed... we are looking forward to coming again soon.

Room Tip: The inn has 4 buildings, so make sure to check out ALL rooms on the website... the property is pret...
  • Stayed: June 2013, traveled as a couple

What a beautiful review. Thank you so much for selecting The Queen Victoria to celebrate your 5th anniversary. We were honored to be your hosts for your celebration. I'm really glad that your first visit with us was a good one. I'm glad that you're looking forward to returning soon. We're looking forward to it too!

Reviewed June 10, 2013

Just got back from my 5th trip to the Queen Victoria. Same as the previous 4 it was great. The room was beautiful, the food was excellent and the inn keepers Anna Marie and Doug make you feel like you are in your own home.
Looking forward to going back in the fall.

• Stayed: June 2013, traveled as a couple

Wow, 5 stays with us already! Thanks so much for your repeat business and for sharing your feelings about The Queen Victoria with the T/A world. I'm not trying to rush the summer, but I'm looking forward to seeing you again in the Fall.

Doug

Reviewed June 9, 2013

My husband and I just got home from our ninth stay at the Queen Victoria Inn. It is a tradition in our marriage to stay there for a night or two every summer--usually around our anniversary or my husband's birthday. To say this is a "nice place to stay" would be an understatement. It is a breathtaking gem. The outsides of all four properties are gorgeous--beautiful Victorian gingerbread homes. The insides make you feel like you're stepping back in time to the Victorian era--beautiful antique furniture, wallpaper, oriental rugs, the works! Jeff and I have stayed in many of their rooms over the years and each one has it's own distinctive charm. The room we just stayed in, the Prince of Wales, delighted us with its impressive canopy bed, patchwork quilt, antique furniture, clawfoot tub in the bathroom, and, last but not least, breathtaking view of the Cape May skyline.

The owners, Anna Marie and Doug (along with their cheerful and wonderful staff), go out of their way to make your stay as comfortable and fun as possible. You can tell they truly love what they do! One of my favorite parts of my stays over the years was chatting with Doug and the other guests at the big dining room table during breakfast. And they are like walking encyclopedias when it comes to the city of Cape May--they know EVERYTHING, from where the best restaurants are to activities guests might enjoy. This sweet couple is a good part of what makes the inn so special. They feel like family.

The food at the Queen Vic is simply outstanding. Every morning, breakfast is served, and there is always a new dish with a creative flair, such as peaches and cream french toast or a delicious strata. Tea is always served at 4 pm, and along with the teas and soft drinks, you'll find delicious cracker spreads, such as Anna Marie's roasted red pepper spread (my favorite!) or the gorgonzola cheese spread (yum!). Add some yummy sugar cookies or seven layer coconut bars to the mix and you'll be in heaven. In fact, I had to remind myself not to fill up before dinner!

Being that the inn is just a block away from the ocean and boarwalk, Doug and Anna Marie make sure to provide great amenities such as beach chairs, bicycles and towels. For rainy days, or for days you just feel like relaxing, they have a whole collection of great movies and books.

If you are contemplating a relaxing getawayto Cape May, look no further than this one of a kind bed and breakfast! Thank you Anna Marie and Doug for another wonderful experience. We are already looking forward to our next visit!

Lori Nattrass and Jeff Brown

• Stayed: June 2013, traveled as a couple
QV-Doug, Owner at The Queen Victoria, responded to this reviewResponded June 19, 2013

Thanks for the wonderful review Lori. Thank you even more for your long-time patronage of The Queen Victoria. You've obviously made The Queen Victoria your "home away from home" in Cape May. It is always such a pleasure seeing you and Jeff! I'm so pleased that you enjoy your visits with us so much. I agree that our breakfast and tea gatherings are one of the most enjoyable parts of any visit to The Queen Victoria. The conversations are always so interesting! I wish you both a great year, until we see you again.

Reviewed June 6, 2013

This is our 3rd year in a row staying at the Queen Victoria and we have already booked for next year. It is a most excellent Bed and Breakfast. All the rooms we have stayed in are very well kept. The food is absolutely delicious. They have added more tables outside and it has made breakfast & afternoon tea even more enjoyable. They think of everything to make your stay totally wonderful. The location is perfect for walking to the beach, shopping & restaurants. It is a short 10-min. drive to Cape May Winery & Sunset Beach. Doug & Anna Marie are the perfect innkeepers. Everything is perfect - can't wait to get back.

• Stayed: May 2013, traveled with family
1  Thank HOhio

What a great review (I LOVE that title). I'm so pleased that you feel that way about The Queen Victoria. It is always a pleasure to see you ladies. I'm glad that you enjoyed our new garden area so much. It really is a wonderful place to enjoy breakfast and afternoon tea. Thanks for your business and for the wonderful review. See you next June!