“A Magical Place”

Ranked #4 of 39 Cape May B&B and Inns
staten island
“A Magical Place”
Reviewed July 29, 2012

My husband and I are frequent guests at the Beautiful Queen Victoria Bed & Breakfast in lovely Cape May, NJ. We keep returning to the Queen Victoria because we fell in love with our experience the first time we stayed. It is simply paradise!
The Queen Victoria B&B is 4 beautiful Victorian buildings offering the best Victorian architecture that can be found .The buildings and rooms are beautifully decorated with the best antiques and lovely lace curtains. Each building and room has such great attain to detail. You will find the best Bradbury & Bradbury wallpaper too. The porches are fabulous and are probably our most favorite place to relax.
The innkeepers, Doug & Anna Marie, make you feel so at home. They do not exclude anything. The towels, toilet paper, tissues, and linens are of the best quality. Anna Marie even remembered to provide the ladies with makeup remover towelettes. Every bed is so comfortable too. We have stayed in several rooms, and have loved each bed and enjoyed each room very much. Doug & Anna Marie are simply the best! They also make it point to get to know all their guests, and their warm hospitality makes you want to keep returning and returning. They provide you with beach chairs, beach towels, and great bicycles making your life easier, allowing you to pack less. They extend their hospitality by inviting guests to stay and use the amenities on their departure day even offering guests to stay for tea on the day of departure. Doug & Anna Marie are so helpful in assisting guests with dinner reservations, tours, and anything else you are inquiring about in an effort to make your Cape May trip a memorable one.
The staff of the Queen Victoria is some of the nicest people we have ever met. They too extend themselves to help make your stay warm and inviting. The breakfast and tea are absolutely to die for. Breakfast is so comfortable and relaxing. The hot entrees are delectable and comforting. The breads and muffins are scrumptious, and there is something for everyone, even cereals and fruit. We love it all. Tea time sweet & savories are addicting too.
The Queen Victoria is truly my husband & my special place. We love to go in the winter too and enjoy just relaxing in the parlor or in our room. In fact, we love it so much that we are renewing our wedding vows there next June. Thank you Doug, Anna Marie, and QV staff for all you do and for making the Queen Victoria so special!! We love you!! Never change a thing because everything is perfect!!
If you have not booked a stay at the Queen Victoria, do yourself a favor and do so. You will be glad you did. It is truly MAGICAL!!

• Stayed July 2012, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (214)
New Jersey
Reviewed July 29, 2012

My husband and I just returned from a five night stay at this lovely bed and breakfast. We stayed in the Brighton room, which gave us access to a parlor and full kitchen. This arrangement was so homey feeling and relaxing, and we especially loved the Keurig coffee machine in our kitchen with provided pods and our frig stocked with bottled water and soda. The location of this B&B can't be beat, with the beach at your doorstep in one direction and the square with all of its shops and restaurants at your doorstep in the other direction. Beach chairs, towels and bikes are also provided for your use - very convenient. Sitting in our rockers on "our" porch in the evenings people watching and seeing the horse carriages going by was such a treat. Everyone at this establishment was very friendly and helpful. Again, we just felt very at home here. The experience was just overall very relaxing, and we will return soon!

2 Thank vacati0nbug
Kensington,MD
Reviewed July 26, 2012

We had a wonderful time at the charming Queen Victoria BnB. We stayed in the very comfortable Prince of Wales room and enjoyed the ocean view! The room was nicely decorated and the bed was very comfortable. I appreciated the refrig in our room to keep our fruit and drinks cold. The buffet breakfasts were very tasty although the presentation lacked a little pazzazz. We made good use of the bicycles, the beach chairs and the beach towels that were provided to us free of charge. We looked forward to the afternoon tea and the delicious snacks. We enjoyed ourselves thoroughtly and will return!!

1 Thank victorialynn7
Floral Park, New York
Reviewed July 23, 2012

About four years ago, friends of ours wanted us to go to the Queen Victoria. I love hotels, and had never gone to a bed and breakfast. We reluctantly went, and have been back every year since. We choose a different room each time, and have never been disappointed. Doug and Anna Marie are the owners, and they couldn't be nicer or more helpful. They make the stay so enjoyable, and the breakfast and tea are great. We usually work our plans around the tea, so we don't miss it. It is a romantic and relaxing vacation. They supply bikes, chairs for the beach, and rocking chairs for our enjoyment. There are many little touches that make you feel special. We hope to continue our vacations there for many years to come. I heard that Christmas time is beautiful there, maybe we will try that next.

Room Tip: Have not been in a bad room. They have a few buildings and each one has its own special things.
  • Stayed July 2012, traveled with friends
1 Thank Lynn M
brick
Reviewed July 18, 2012

This was our first time at a Bed and Breakfast and I have to say We are both hooked!! We loved this place and will certainly be back. The Inn Keeper Doug greeted us and gave us a tour of the grounds and walked us to our room The Balmoral in The Queens Cottage, which was adorable and filled with so much charm. The bathroom had a huge two person Jacuzzi that was magnificant. There was so much to do and see and the location of the Inn was perfect, close to town and just steps to the beach. The breakfast every morning was wonderful with a varierty to choose from. Tea and treats were served every day at 4, we had only gone to this on our last day but I wish we had gone the other days as well, we had such a nice chat with the Innkeeper Doug again, all while snacking on fresh fruit and yummy homemade brownies. I would recommend the Queen Victoria to anyone looking for a wonderfully inviting and comfortable place to stay while visiting Cape May.

Room Tip: For more private rooms I would suggest The Queens Cottage which has 4 rooms, two upstairs and two do...
2 Thank Lisa T
Cranford, New Jersey
Reviewed July 9, 2012

This was our first visit to the Queen Victoria and we will definitely be back! The staff was extremely nice...especially Heidi! The location is excellent for the beach and shopping. The room was cozy and very clean. We have told all of our friends and family and will definitely return soon!

Room Tip: Room with a balcony is worth it!
  • Stayed June 2012, traveled as a couple
New Jersey
Reviewed July 8, 2012

After our regular B&B just down the street closed its main building, hubby and I were forced to find a new place to stay. (We REALLY loved our old B&B - so this was going to be tough.)

After looking at reviews, I started following The Queen Victoria on Facebook for the future. With no plans to go away this summer (I'm 8 months pregnant) on a whim I booked a one-night stay in the Princess Louise room after The Queen Victoria posted to Facebook about a rare, one-night Saturday availability that just opened up. Perfect way for us to try someplace new, without too much of a commitment.

Every B&B does things slightly differently and it's tough to not get into, "Oh, well the *other* place does it this way...."

Strengths of The Queen Victoria, compared to our previous stays elsewhere:

1) Afternoon tea. Substantial, varied. Fruit, cucumber dip and crackers, iced tea. Perfect!

2) Quiet. I don't know how or why, but we never noticed other guests in our building. It made for a quiet experience, which we like.

3) The bathroom. Some of the other places we've stayed in Cape May (hotels and our favorite B&B)...well, it at least crosses your mind to maybe keep your socks on in the room, even though you know it's clean things sometimes show their age. I did not feel this way here.

4) Breakfast. I thought I was going to miss sitting on a porch at an assigned time, with breakfast served to me. I surprised myself at how much I enjoyed the self-serve buffet style. In our building (House of Royals) the parlor is set up with individual tables, so hubby and I didn't have to sit with other people at a common table. (I know others love this style, we don't.) The stuffed French toast souffle was really good. We had breakfast at 8:30 and were surprised that we were the only ones downstairs. Also, the heat was HORRIBLE - it was wonderful to have breakfast indoors!

5) Customer service. This was the first place we've stayed that didn't have on-site parking or valet parking, so I was nervous. I called two weeks before our stay and spoke with the innkeeper (Doug) who really took his time in answering my questions. I did not feel rushed or like a nuisance. Also, the courtesy call the day before check-in (received a voicemail - if we need anything before check in, just let them know) was a nice touch. After we checked out, we left our bag in the parlor of our building so we could enjoy Cape May a little more before going home. We thought it was very nice that they offered this.

Our room was comfortable and cool, no small feat for a 100 degree day. We found the main building to be hot and we were glad we didn't stay there. We surmised that they keep all the doors and windows open because, since it's the main building, there's a lot of people coming and going all the time and it probably wouldn't stay cool with A/C anyway.

No on-site parking made me nervous. Parking at the church immediately behind The Queen Victoria is convenient and you can park there for a $10/day donation - but, you can't park there on Sunday mornings. So at 11:00 on Saturday night we were driving around looking for free street parking, which was not as easy as I thought it would be.

Overall, it was a great experience and we are glad we stayed.

1 Thank Cristin F