“Felt at home the moment we arrived”

and 1 more site!
Leith Hall Bed and Breakfast
Ranked #22 of 39 Cape May B&B and Inns
Pennsville, New Jersey
“Felt at home the moment we arrived”
Reviewed March 22, 2012

My wife booked the room as part of the Sherlock Holmes weekend. We loved the room and the bed was very comfortable. The breakfasts were great and the set up in the parlor and library area led to good conversations between the proprietors, Susan and Elon, and the other guests. The afternoon dessert and tea time is something I already miss, barely there an hour and I'm enjoying iced brownies, hot tea, and crossword puzzles. That neighbors drop by during tea time and chat was great, it just added to the welcome feeling. The other great thing was the location for the Sherlock Holmes weekend. The Hall was located within pleasant walking distance to all the events, even the walk to the Physick House was not as far as we thought. I have read some of the other reviews for Leith Hall and I can't believe those contributors were staying at the same place I was. All I can say is that on the Monday after we returned from Cape May, as I looked at my bowl of cold cereal and thought of the fruit and sausage and French toast I had enjoyed just 24 hours previously, I wanted to cry.

Room Tip: The Turkish suite is probably the most spacious room and you can see the ocean from it
  • Stayed March 2012, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Jeffrey T

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (33)
South Jersey/Philadelphia Area
Reviewed August 12, 2011

Mediocre. Available on short notice and really liked location. Place is looking shabby on the outside. Didn't enjoy the wicker furniture in the suite, just not comfortable. Host was lovely and tried to accomodate. Rooms were clean so no worries there. I guess you could say we were underwhelmed. Would try others before this one.

• Stayed August 2011
Richmond
Reviewed October 12, 2010

We had a wonderful time here. Sitting on the porch was so relaxing. We will return to this Bed and Breakfast next time we are in Cape May!

• Stayed August 2010, traveled as a couple
Whitehall, Pennsylvania
Reviewed September 25, 2010

Leith Hall has an excellent location: close to the beach and in walking distance of theatres, restaurants and shopping. Breakfasts and afternoon teas were tasty. We were put off by the VERY narrow driveway alongside the building to parking at the rear. Susan assured us that stretch limousines are able to make the trip, but because we were towing bicycles, we found it uncomfortably narrow. We were also put off by the miniscule bathroom in the Iris room. There is NO shelf space on which to place toiletries and the basin is challenged to hold toothpaste and brush.

• Stayed September 2010, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Carol53994
leithhall, Owner at Leith Hall Bed and Breakfast, responded to this review, June 14, 2011
We are so happy to provide onsite parking for half of our guests! So many B&Bs in Cape May have no parking. Our driveway was a side yard between two houses so it feels narrower than it really is. We have had a stretch limo, a hummer and a car towing a catamaran all park behind the house but if we had realized that our guests felt so uncomfortable driving down the driveway, we would have suggested taking the bikes off the car first.
The Iris Room was originally the front parlor of the house and is a very large room. It has a fireplace (non-working) in it. Unfortunately, we can't make the bathroom (or the space for the sink) bigger because it comes up against the chimney. We appreciate hearing how we can improve the inn and have been adding cabinets and shelves to the bathrooms to give our guests more room for their belongings.
Philadelphia
Reviewed August 24, 2010

Leith Hall proved to be a charming Victorian House very close to the beach at Cape May. It’s the first house on the block of Ocean Street, which is perpendicular to Beach Avenue, within easy walking distance of many shops and restaurants.

The house underwent an authentic restoration with lovingly hand-painted faux bois and faux marbre details; along with beautiful and correct Bradbury & Bradbury wall papers judiciously utilized to great effect. The house retains its personality and integrity. It has not been overly renovated to the point where it would feel like a Disneylike reproduction of “Victoria World.” What this means from a practical point of view is that staying there feels like you are visiting a beloved relative, rather than staying in a homogenized posh boutique hotel. If you are looking for marble bathrooms, 2 person jetted tubs with rain showers, Frette linens, and imported chocolates on your pillow, you will be disappointed. However, if you want the authentic experience of staying in a Victorian bed & breakfast that is very comfortable, very clean, and with excellent food offered at breakfast (until a civilized 10 am for late risers) and a yummy afternoon tea time (offering home baked desserts, fresh made lemonade or iced tea in hot weather or hot beverages seasonally appropriate), you will be thrilled with the great value offered here.

We rented 3 rooms for two nights at the beginning of August 2010 for a staff retreat from the heat of Philadelphia. The rooms were reasonably priced during this “high season” at not more than $165 per room per night. (Not including taxes). Everything else in Cape May that I considered seemed to be well over $300 per night—and as high as $450 at the more corporate owned places. Leith Hall is a GREAT value if you have the right expectations. It exceeded all my expectations in friendliness of staff and the owners, and the quality of the food at breakfast and tea-time. If you have an interest in architectural history, art, and travel, you will be in heaven chatting with the charming and erudite owners on the lovely covered porch sitting in the comfortable rocking chairs, listening to the seagulls and feeling the breeze off the ocean, even when the temperatures climbed above 90 degrees. (The sleeping rooms are well air-conditioned—don’t worry). This was the most relaxing mini-vacation I have had in recent memory.

About the things people worry about: Dining arrangements: during the summertime and warm weather, full hot breakfasts and afternoon tea are served buffet style on the wrap around wide covered porch. There are rocking chairs and straight chairs, and small tables to dine at. There is a parlour and a small library on the first floor for guest’s use, but it is not set up for inside dining in the summer. (The original living room of the house on the first floor is in use as one of the larger rooms to rent). There is a decanter of sherry left for guests –no one present abused this special touch. Also, there is a small ice machine in the library, and fresh water available at all times.

Public areas: There are loads of interesting books and DVDs to borrow (the flat screen tv in my room came equipped with a built-in DVD player—flat screen being a nod to 21st century hotel amenities). The first floor public rooms are filled with an upright piano in the parlour, comfy and typically uncomfy Victorian furniture, and lots of little decorative objects the owners have collected on their extensive foreign travel. The effect is very Victorian grandmother’s house.

I understand that during winter months, small tables are set up in these rooms to accommodate inside dining at two seatings. There is ample opportunity to communicate with other guests at breakfast if that is your wish. Otherwise, after a polite hello, you can be left alone to read or just talk with your companion(s).

Temperature control: The public areas of the house are not air-conditioned. You are at the shore, so it will not be as hot as it is in town, but be prepared for life as it was up until the 1960’s when everything became overly air-conditioned. This is only an issue when you are traversing the stairs, wandering around the first floor investigating the knick-knacks, and coming in and out. You will be able to keep your bedroom as frigid as you like.

The bathroom: I only saw two—they were very clean, but a basic budget early 80ties type renovation—small, with stall showers, however, very serviceable. What you would expect at a friends’ secondary vacation house. The towels were new, fluffy and absorbent Turkish towels, and there were two full sets in the bathroom. More upon request- and large clean towels to take with you to the beach were there for the taking in a basket on the first floor. (Since I don’t know where else to put this—there was an outdoor shower around the back of the house, to get the sand off.) There were basic quality mini shampoos, conditioner and lotions available in the bathroom—fine if you forget your favorites from home. Real drinking glasses were in the bedroom. Fine for wine, or rinsing the toothpaste out.

The sleeping area—my bedroom on the second floor was equipped with a comfortable queen-size sleigh bed with entrance and exit from one side of the bed. The room was perfectly sized for me on my own—or I imagine it would also be fine if I was staying with someone I was close to. I had the aforementioned small flat screen TV with cable, built-in DVD player and remote control. The room had many nice antique pieces of furniture, comfortable chairs, and a slice of ocean view from the bay window. I was very content there, and wished I had brought along some Jane Austen to read. (This was the Empire Room). The housekeepers did a great job of tidying up and making the bed.

I saw one other room that my staff was staying in—the Highland Room, also on the 2nd floor. It had a shared door that could be unlocked if you wanted to access both the Highland and the Empire for a family situation. That room was also very nice, and it looks exactly like it does on the Leith Hall website. I noticed that the stall shower was bigger than the one in the Empire Room, and the bathroom was in its own little hallway off the sleeping area, for added privacy. There was a comfortable single sized “daybed” in the room, in addition to the queen-sized brass bed.

The 3rd members of our party shared the Celebrity Room on the 3rd floor. It was smaller than the other two, but lovely nonetheless. I believe its private bathroom was not en-suite, but down the hall.

Parking: all rooms came with some sort of off-street parking. Parking is assigned to the rooms, and our rooms had spaces reserved in the “Bank Street” parking lot. This was an open lot about 6 blocks away—a little bit of a hike. A couple rooms had parking places reserved behind the Inn. There is metered street parking right in front of the house, which was seldom filled, even during the high season—however we were not there on a weekend). If you need handicapped parking and have a special license plate or placard, the Town of Cape May very kindly allows you to park at the meters in front for as long as you need to without feeding them.

Ocean views: yes, there are ocean views from the bedrooms, but keep in mind that there is the parking lot of the Marquis de Lafayette hotel next door, and the M de L itself blocks a good portion of the direct line of site to the ocean. If you are expecting an unobstructed wide vista view of the ocean, you will be disappointed. Still, the view out the window is pleasant, and I enjoyed watching some of the activity on Ocean Street, and viewing the beautiful exterior of the Inn of Cape May across the street, with its distinctive purple awnings.

All-in-all—go for the great location, the charming hosts, superior home-cooked full breakfasts and afternoon tea, authentic integrity of the restoration, cleanliness, and superior value for cost.

• Stayed August 2010, traveled on business
6 Thank lisartdotcom
Bucks County PA
Reviewed July 6, 2010

We have been staying at Leith Hall since we started vacationing in Cape May in 1989. Elan and Susan are sincerely friendly people. This often leads to enjoyable conversation on the porch among houseguests. Breakfast and tea are always homemade and delicious. The house itself is authentically Victorian, the wallpaper beautiful and unique. The house is close to the beach with towels and chairs provided. Always high quality.

• Stayed June 2010, traveled as a couple
1 Thank kayajohn
Rockaway, New Jersey
Reviewed July 6, 2010

My husband and I have stayed in many B& B's around the country and Leith Hall has to be rated the worst!
The owners were very pleasant people, but unlike most B&B's they do not live in the house. One of the guest need towels and could not get them. There is no real living room or dining room so all of the guest must eat outside, in uncomfortable furniture. Luckily it did not rain and it was a comfortable temperature.. Breakfast was ok, frozen sausage with french toast one day, a very good friatta the next.
Our bed was so uncomfortable we were up at 5 am looking for things to do. The place is in need of repair. Most of the paint inside and out was peeling. The bathrooms were old and the Jacuzzi tub they talk about on the web site is merely a bath tub with jets.
There are no cold beverages available throughout the day, only when the owners are there. Our outdated tv did not work, but there was no one there to complain to when we realized it.
Hopefully the owners read this and put some money into renovations.
For now, my best advice is to go somewhere else. There are many beautiful inns in Cape May, but just not this one.

• Stayed July 2009, traveled as a couple
2 Thank muppets53
I don't understand why a guest couldn't reach us to get a towel because we are available 24/7. In the summer of 2009 there was an innkeeper (or me) in the inn from 7am to 8 or 9pm every day. We do go to sleep as soon as we can after 9pm but we give our guests the phone number for the telephone right next to the bed that we answer all night long. It is possible not to find me in the office if I am up on the third floor checking a new guest in. When we close the office for the night, we leave my cell phone number and the emergency number. This number is also in the mailbox and in the room books in every room. In Cape May it is common for innkeepers to live in another building - many inns have 2 or more buildings and leave a phone number so guests can reach the innkeeper.
Since we have eight TVs in the inn, they occasionally break and need to be replaced. Often the guests are the first people to know when this happens and we do our best to get a new TV fast. I don't know the circumstances in this case, but we did have problems when comcast changed us to digital. We had one room where I spent hours on the phone with comcast just to have them come out to replace their malfunctioning equipment (it wasn't our TV that was the problem).
We have indoor seating for our guests in the winter. When we kept a separate dining room in the summer, everyone took their plates outdoors to eat so we don't set it up anymore. However, if the weather is bad, we will set up breakfast inside. What can I say - we have never, ever served frozen sausage. We have a beverage buffet in the library off the parlor. There is an ice maker, ice buckets, glasses, and a pitcher of water available (as well as a hot water kettle and makings for coffee, tea, hot chocolate, hot cider). We have a parlor for our guests to use with a piano which we love to have guests play.
On our website, we describe the bathtubs as "whirlpool tubs" - we do not call them hot tubs or jacuzzis. I have changed the description on our online reservation site to specifically say that it is for one person, not two, so that this misunderstanding won't happen. I am working on our website - it says "whirlpool tub" but I will correct it to say one person, not two - it will just take a little longer. Most people compliment our beds - whether a bed is comfortable or not is very subjective. However, we do listen to our guests and upgrade periodically. I'm just sorry that they weren't comfortable.