“A lovely break during an orginary workweek”

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Humphrey Hughes House
Ranked #15 of 39 Cape May B&B and Inns
Toms River, New Jersey
“A lovely break during an orginary workweek”
Reviewed June 8, 2012

I travel often for business & was in Maryland for a long day, so instead of driving home late after the last ferry, I booked the HHH and was I happy I did. I normally stay at The Grand (on the beach) but took a chance with the B & B and felt like I was coming home. The front foyer was warm & inviting....as I found my way to the 2nd floor "Dragon Fly Room", I let myslef in & felt immediatly comfortable. The bed was comfortable & I slept undisturbed. Though I neeeded to work the next day, I stayed long enough to enjoy the pancake breakfast on the front porch. The innkeepers knew I was working & offered to feed me earlier than the normal 9am..which I took them up on. I had been up early & already walked the boardwalk, so I was ready to eat. The tables were set beautifully & I enjoyed fruit, juice, coffee, pancakes, sausage & a sweet roll.

I highly recommend the HHH and do stay for breakfast...you will not regret it.

• Stayed June 2012, traveled on business

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (33)
Pennsylvania, USA
Reviewed May 31, 2012

My wife and I spent a weekend in May here and absolutely loved it. Terry & Lorraine were wonderful hosts. The house is beautiful and amazingly well kept, snacks and chocolate chip cookies were always available on the porch and the location is great. When the weather cooperates, breakfast is served on the porch, which is quite nice. What else could you ask? It is a short walk to the beach and to shopping. We stayed in the Dragonfly room, which was very well appointed and comfortable, but I am sure all rooms are equally nice. The only negative is you are on your own to find on-street parking, which can be a hassle. However, I didn't hold it against the HHH and gave it 5 stars because this is common problem for B&Bs in Cape May. They do give you a map of where you can park for free, which is probably all they can do. This is a wonderful B&B and I highly recommend it.

• Stayed May 2012, traveled as a couple
Hamilton, Virginia
Reviewed November 17, 2011

Since we first visited Cape May in 1997 we have made it there 13 out of the past 15 summers, and of those 13 summers 11 have been spent at HHH (and our very first Cape May visit was spent across the street, wishing we had picked HHH!). Terry & Lorraine are fantastic hosts and the long-time staff (especially Kathy) are just super! Quiet, well-appointed, air-conditioned rooms; first-rate showers; ample closet & drawer space; free towels & beach chairs; a sun porch with GREAT chocolate-chip cookies, fudge, tea, coffee and sherry - what's not to like? Be warned, however, that Lorraine's breakfasts can be diet-killers,so be prepared to "walk it off" because you won't be able to *NOT* eat! ;-) The location is simply the best with an easy walk to the center of town or to the beach, great views, etc. Definitely first-rate, and highy recommended!

Room Tip: Second floor is less stair-climbing - we like the Velvet Room - but the Brass Room on the 3rd floor...
  • Stayed July 2011, traveled as a couple
Farmingdale, New Jersey
Reviewed August 18, 2011

We make a point of going back to the HHH each year right after Labor Day and it is the most perfect week. The innkeepers are gracious and have running an inn down to a science! They are there if you need them but mostly out of sight. I cannot think of a more relaxing time than sitting on the big wraparound porch having a magnificent breakfast, then reading a book, then lazily making our way to the beach. It is in a perfect location and within walking distance of everything. We try a different room every year and this year look forward to staying in the "doctor's suite".... This inn is immaculately clean with a very hospitable staff. I cannot think of a single improvement needed.

• Stayed September 2010, traveled as a couple
Sewell, NJ
Reviewed August 17, 2011

This review is much overdue. I can not believe how far down I had to go to find this wonderful B and B. Anything short of excellent is not doing it justice. But back to the beds. By far the mattress and linens are the best we have found in Cape May. Add to that beautiful breakfasts. Yes beautiful, as they are worth taking a picture. A perfect birthday weekend!

• Stayed June 2011, traveled as a couple
Annapolis, Maryland
Reviewed July 11, 2011

We made reservations online for 2 nights during the week at the end of July. We received our confirmation and thought we were all set. After making the rest of our travel plans and arrangements, we later received an e-mail from the manager saying that for the room we reserved it was required for us to stay 3 nights. This was not published anywhere on their website, nor on the confirmation page we received. Thinking this was in error, I called the B&B and spoke with a woman who claimed she was the manager. She said we could stay for the 2 nights only if we paid for a significantly more expensive room. In addition the manager was unapologetic, sharp and left such a bad impression with us that we will never consider staying at this facility. We understand that many people have had a nice experience staying at the Humphrey Hughes, but we just wanted to make people aware of the potential for a bait and switch here.

Stayed July 2011, traveled as a couple
4 Thank Shiningspirit
thehumphreyhughes, Owner at Humphrey Hughes House, responded to this review, July 13, 2011
This reviewer did not stay at The Humphrey Hughes House. In addition, the facts are not correct. The person called on the phone and was told the particular room she wanted to book was available for three(3) nights. If she desired two (2) nights it would have to be a different accomodation which was more expensive. The reviewer than attempted to circumvent the minimum stay requirement for our smallest, least expensive room by booking on line. Immediately upon reciept of the online reservation she was emailed and told the reservation would not be honored for two (2) as it was explained in a previous phone call.

Our goal is to insure each and every person who visits The Humphrey Hughes House has a pleasant, relaxing and enjoyable experience. We do have minimum stay requirements because we are small lodging business with a limited number of rooms.
Clinton, New Jersey
Reviewed July 2, 2011

We didn't plan on staying overnight however called a few places and found a room here for one night. Everything was excellent and we couldn't have been happier. Excellent breakfast.

• Stayed July 2011