“No parking included--a problem !”
Review of Gingerbread House

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Gingerbread House
Ranked #8 of 39 Cape May B&B and Inns
Charleston
“No parking included--a problem !”
Reviewed December 30, 2006

This is a quaint B&B in a dear town to me, Cape May, NJ--I was surprised when I checked in for the 4th of July week and was told to "go find a parking place" in Cape May--for that week was nearly impossible and a great imposition--I enjoyed the stay and location but would not book again due to the unavailability of parking.

Stayed July 2006
3 Thank ElizabethCharleston

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (97)
bloomfield, nj
Reviewed December 28, 2006

A weekend in Cape May during the holidays is an experience everyone should treat themselves to...and part of the experience is staying in one of the wonderful B&B's in Cape May. My friend and I searched the Cape May website and were fortunate enough to find the most wonderful little B&B...The Gingerbread House. From the moment we drove up in front, we knew we had made a wonderful choice. The Inn is absolutely charming...the porch welcoming, the owners warm and friendly (Joan and Fred). The house is beautifully decorated and is perfectly maintained. There is no doubt that you are staying in first rate accommodations. Being two single mom’s out to spend a weekend away from the kids, the Gingerbread House was also able to accommodate our need for a room with two separate beds…a rarity in B&B’s. The room was spacious with a private balcony and a beautiful private bath. The small flat screen TV was the only sign that we were in 2006. Each morning we came downstairs to the sound of holiday music and the smell of baked goods. Tea, coffee, hot cider, cocoa, etc was waiting for us along with out of the ordinary yet absolutely delicious baked goods, as well as an assortment of yogurt, granola and a hot breakfast casserole (Joan was kind enough to share the recipes!). The location was perfect…a block from the ocean and only a few blocks from the main part of town. Except for a trip to the Cape May Spa and dinner at the Lobster House, we didn’t have to take the car anywhere. The night we took the walking tour of Cape May B&B’s we only had to walk out of the house to be in the heart of the excitement…they say location is everything and the Gingerbread House proves to be the perfect location.

A trip during the summer to get another break from the kids is anticipated…and our first choice for accommodations will be this beautiful, warm, welcoming, charming little inn with interesting and friendly innkeepers. I highly recommend making this inn a part of your Cape May experience!

Virginia, Bloomfield, NJ

• Liked — Friendly innkeepers, location, perfectly maintained, delicious food
  • Disliked — Nothing
  • Stayed November 2006, traveled with friends
new jersey
Reviewed November 14, 2006

my wife and i always wanted to stay in a bed and breakfast and I'm glad we picked this one. joan and fred were wonderful. They made you feel at home like it was your house. The house and room were spotless and everthing else was perfect, from the breakfasts to the afternoon tea. Joan always cooked some unique dish to make the day special. Both fred and joan were a pleasure to spend time with. We even had fen with penny.
We will be going back in the future to the gingerbread house for sure.

curt & maryanne

• Liked — everything
  • Disliked — n/a
  • Stayed November 2006, traveled as a couple
1 Thank funtime10
New York
Reviewed October 22, 2006

I cannot say enough about The Gingerbread House! I brought my mother to Cape May for her 60th birthday and our stay was perfect. Joan and Fred are absolutely wonderful! We had a little trrouble with the transmission on our car and Fred was so helpful with telling us which gas stations to go to and offered to drive us anywhere we needed to go. Since we were so close to the beach and to the "mall", our car trouble didn't damper our visit at all. The accomodations are so homey with delicious breakfasts to start your day and tea and cookies in the afternoon. The decor of the house is beautiful and the rooms are spotless! I will definitely be staying at the Gingerbread House when I head back down to Cape May!

• Liked — The staff and cleanliness!
  • Stayed October 2006, traveled with family
jax
Reviewed October 21, 2006

It was a girl weekend that I was looking very forward to. The moment we walked in the door and met Joan and Fred, I felt like I was with family. This place is like a dollhouse made big and everything is immaculate! Our great room and private porch were a lot larger in person than the pictures. All the furniture and decorations were beautiful, yet I felt comfortable and at home. I could tell that all the other guests felt the same way. The breakfast was very fresh with a new special treat every morning. I would like to visit at X-mas and also in the summer and wish Cape May was closer to Florida! The location of the Gingerbread house is perfect. The beach and promenade are right out the door, yet you are not on the main drag. I can't wait to return to this wonderful place with my husband. Thanks again for the hospitality!!

• Stayed October 2006, traveled with friends
Kannapolis, North Carolina
Reviewed October 19, 2006

We had the best time. 4 girlfriends traveled from Florida to stay in Cape May during Victorian Week. Our room was so beautiful and we also had a porch that we really enjoyed as part of our room package. The weather could not have been any better. The Antiques were so beautiful and plentiful and Joan and Fred (owners) were just alot of fun and the nicest people that you could hope to meet . Cape May is a wonderful place to visit and I would love to go back again sometime and stay at the Gingerbread House. I can't say enough great things about the Gingerbread House. The breakfasts were all very tastie business and the other guests staying at the house were all very friendly and fun to talk with. I would highly recommend the Gingerbread House as the best place to stay in Cape May.

Sandy Good, Port Orange, Florida

• Liked — Owners and beautiful atmosphere and surroundings.
  • Tips/Secrets — Be prepared to cart your luggage up the stairs.
  • Stayed October 2006, traveled with friends
Port Orange, Florida
Reviewed October 19, 2006

Our trip to the Gingerbread House was wonderful! We were a group of 4 girlfriends from Florida and it was the first time for 3 of our group to visit beautiful Cape May, NJ. I am so happy we chose the Gingerbread House for our stay during Victorian Week! Joan and Fred are so warm and friendly and they made us feel like family during our visit. We stayed in the luxury suite on the second floor since it slept 4 very comfortably. We had a gorgeous private porch that overlooked quaint Gurney Street and our room was amazingy! It came complete with beautiful furnishings and was very very Victorian! Everything was immaculate, clean and comfortable. Our breakfasts were absolutely delicious and the other guests became our friends during our stay! The atmosphere was so comfortable and relaxing. I have stayed at other lovely B&B's in Cape May, but I will never go anywhere else now but the Gingerbread House! Joan & Fred's dedication to their guests is what separates them from everyone else for they are truly wonderful people!

Stayed October 2006