All reviewshouse smoked salmonassortment of pastrieseggs any stylemy husband and ifrench toastb bsfresh fruitthe breakfast areawedding venuehot entreesrooms are gorgeousafternoon teaprivate entrancebreakfast was excellentbed and breakfastturn down serviceantique furnishings
Reviewed May 15, 2009

The Southern Mansion was a beautiful place for a weekend away. We vacation in Cape May each summer and frequent the B&B's in the Spring, and the Mansion was at the top of our "must see" list.

I initially tried to reserve a Queen room, but they were booked and we recieved a free upgrade to a King, which was fantastic. The room was huge, particularly for a B&B and opulently decorared. We were incredibly comfortable.

The breakfast was limited: though there were croissants and fruit with cereal available, this is not why we stay at B&Bs. There were only two choices of hot meals each day, and one was always an omelet. The second choice was always a starch (pancakes, french toast). I travel with a picky eater, and the staff was nice enough to eliminate the fruit sauces whenever possible on the breads for him. We did encounter problems, however, when the waitress gave us the wrong menu and we ordered a meal which was not actually available. We love other CM B&Bs like the Angel of the Sea and their snack time and wine and cheese hour, which is not available here.

The reservation process was dicey: I originally tried twice to check reservations online, and am still waiting to hear back! I called in January after receiving a gift certificate for Christmas, and the woman admitted she was not familiar with the process and that the Inn was actually closed for the winter. I was not entirely comfortable that our reservation was properly taken care of, and called back when the Mansion re-opened to confirm. All was well, but it made me nervous. We were also told there'd be a wedding that night, and when I asked (interested to see!) they said no wedding was ever scheduled that weekend. Checking out was also slightly uncomfortable as the receptionist was on the phone and did not hang up...she simply took my key with a smile and a mouthed "thanks." Not rude, just...indifferent and disorganized. Not what I'd expect from such a setting!

Finally, the Southern Mansion is a wonderful place for a romantic getaway...but it's a 100+ year old building, and there's thin walls. :) Use discretion, especially when on the first floor!

We did have a lovely time and would return.

Stayed: April 2009, traveled as a couple
Reviewed May 14, 2009

When I & my fiance first arrived we were pleasantly surprised. Having not stayed there before we did not know what to expect and WOW!!! everything was just lovely, the staff, the rooms, the food, the location. We cannot wait top go back.

• Stayed: May 2009, traveled as a couple
Reviewed May 5, 2009

Came on a spur of the moment trip. I have friends that have been before. Really beautiful . I was surprised about how nice it was. I as glad to have on site parking and we were in the middle of everything so we walked everywhere. The breakfast was really really good and the room was big and immaculate. Could not have been happier. Excellent stay!

• Stayed: May 2009, traveled as a couple
Reviewed May 1, 2009

This was our second stay here. Everything was nice, the breakfast was very good. Two things detracted from our stay. One was the poor lighting in the living room. It was next to impossible to read in there. Also they used to offer a fairly large afternoon tea service complete with food. They cut this out completely. A pot of tea should be available along with cookies for the guests. Also ,we had a problem with the toilet backing up. This happened on our last visit as well, although it may just be a coincidence. The location is
marvelous, right in the middle of everything.

• Stayed: November 2008, traveled as a couple
3  Thank Buffywoodbridgenj
Reviewed January 2, 2009

We have wanted to stay at Southern Mansion for a long time since we always thought it looked so beautiful. We come to Cape May at least once per year and stay somewhere different every time. Unfortunately we were really disappointed.

The pros:
--Beautiful grounds and building (crown molding is something to behold)
--Clean rooms
--Housekeeping staff (most) very nice and helpful
--Breakfast food was good

The cons:
--Many staff members are pretty indifferent. For e.g., our toilet backed up and we were told we could come to the front desk & get the plunger. For almost $300 per night, we thought they would offer to come up to the room.

Another example is that when we arrived, the person at the front desk barely looked up. She then went on to tell us how each new year's she knows the next year will be worse! This is not the kind of greeting that you expect at this type of establishment.

Finally, on the last day I went up to a staff member to ask a question about breakfast and she simply shrugged, said, "I don't know" and walked away from me. I actually was so irritated at this point that I followed her and asked her to find someone who did know the answer.

--When we booked, we were told that breakfast was 8-10. When we arrived, it was changed to 8-9:30. This is a big deal for us since we like to sleep in. Then, on New Year's Day, we found out that breakfast was actually until 11 but nobody told us there was a change. We found out from another guest.

--The Southern Mansion information guides in the room are very outdated and a little bit insulting actually. Restaurants & movie theatres that have been closed for many years were listed. If we weren't familiar with the area, that would have been frustrating. But there are some other notes in this guide book that I found annoying. One was a threat that if you took the guide book, $75 would be charged to your room. It made me laugh since the guide book was so outdated, I can't imagine why someone would be tempted to steal it! Also, there was language in the book about the breakfast and how it is important to get down there early because "the early bird catches the worm" and they might be out of certain items if you aren't down there during the early part of breakfast hours.

The bottom line is there were some good things about this property, but it was not worth the money at all. If I paid $150-$175 I would not have felt compelled to write this review. But for nearly $300 per night, I expected a much higher level of service. Frankly, I have had better service at Hampton Inns.

• Stayed: December 2008, traveled as a couple