All reviewshouse smoked salmonassortment of pastrieseggs any stylemy husband and ifrench toastb bsfresh fruitthe breakfast areawedding venuehot entreesrooms are gorgeousafternoon teaprivate entrancebreakfast was excellentbed and breakfastturn down serviceantique furnishings
Reviewed May 1, 2009

This was our second stay here. Everything was nice, the breakfast was very good. Two things detracted from our stay. One was the poor lighting in the living room. It was next to impossible to read in there. Also they used to offer a fairly large afternoon tea service complete with food. They cut this out completely. A pot of tea should be available along with cookies for the guests. Also ,we had a problem with the toilet backing up. This happened on our last visit as well, although it may just be a coincidence. The location is
marvelous, right in the middle of everything.

• Stayed: November 2008, traveled as a couple
3  Thank Buffywoodbridgenj
Reviewed January 2, 2009

We have wanted to stay at Southern Mansion for a long time since we always thought it looked so beautiful. We come to Cape May at least once per year and stay somewhere different every time. Unfortunately we were really disappointed.

The pros:
--Beautiful grounds and building (crown molding is something to behold)
--Clean rooms
--Housekeeping staff (most) very nice and helpful
--Breakfast food was good

The cons:
--Many staff members are pretty indifferent. For e.g., our toilet backed up and we were told we could come to the front desk & get the plunger. For almost $300 per night, we thought they would offer to come up to the room.

Another example is that when we arrived, the person at the front desk barely looked up. She then went on to tell us how each new year's she knows the next year will be worse! This is not the kind of greeting that you expect at this type of establishment.

Finally, on the last day I went up to a staff member to ask a question about breakfast and she simply shrugged, said, "I don't know" and walked away from me. I actually was so irritated at this point that I followed her and asked her to find someone who did know the answer.

--When we booked, we were told that breakfast was 8-10. When we arrived, it was changed to 8-9:30. This is a big deal for us since we like to sleep in. Then, on New Year's Day, we found out that breakfast was actually until 11 but nobody told us there was a change. We found out from another guest.

--The Southern Mansion information guides in the room are very outdated and a little bit insulting actually. Restaurants & movie theatres that have been closed for many years were listed. If we weren't familiar with the area, that would have been frustrating. But there are some other notes in this guide book that I found annoying. One was a threat that if you took the guide book, $75 would be charged to your room. It made me laugh since the guide book was so outdated, I can't imagine why someone would be tempted to steal it! Also, there was language in the book about the breakfast and how it is important to get down there early because "the early bird catches the worm" and they might be out of certain items if you aren't down there during the early part of breakfast hours.

The bottom line is there were some good things about this property, but it was not worth the money at all. If I paid $150-$175 I would not have felt compelled to write this review. But for nearly $300 per night, I expected a much higher level of service. Frankly, I have had better service at Hampton Inns.

• Stayed: December 2008, traveled as a couple
    • Check in / front desk
3  Thank jennamack
Reviewed August 29, 2008

The Southern Mansion was a beautiful Bed & Breakfast in a place where there is an abundance of beautiful B & Bs. What makes the Southern Mansion special was the size of the rooms, the breakfast, the grounds, and the history. We stayed in a Deluxe King room ($260 per night): the room was large with a fabulous four poster bed. The bathroom is a little on the small side and there is no tub, but the shower is large enough for two (wink, wink). The breakfast is excellent – breakfasts at B and Bs can often vary. They had a continental selection of fresh fruit, cereal, and homemade scones. In addition, diners had a choice of FOUR hot breakfast dishes. All were served with a side of meat. Breakfast is from 8 to 10 am. What I really liked was the fact that there were plenty of tables so that diners could enjoy a private breakfast. They will serve breakfast in your room for an up charge. Service was very good except for one heavyset lady who seemed a little gruff. The grounds had plenty of seating for reading and relaxing on nice days. The front porch also had seating. The walk to the beach was not bad – about 3 minutes and it was very close to the family oriented shopping and dining area

• Stayed: August 2008, traveled as a couple
    • Check in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
1  Thank proudrepublican
Reviewed May 28, 2008

Terrific and friendly, helpful staff! Beautiful mansion and great food! Staff was helpful with dinner reservations and housekeeping was wonderful! Hats off to ANDREEA,RITA, GAIL, DENISE AND BARBARA. A ANTASTIC FUN AND MEMORABLE STAY!

Stayed: April 2008
Reviewed March 4, 2008

I love the Southern Mansion. It is truly an architectural masterpiece. I will never understand how they get it so clean you could eat off the floor. The staff was super friendly and they made me reservations for the washington inn and ebbit room both good. The breakfast was excellent ansd the servers efficient and kind, My room was huge and gorgeous. I will say I have stayed at other places and nothing has the wow factor of the Southern Mansion it is gorgeous. The wooden porches and floors unbelievable. I love to sit in the solarium and look at the grounds. Very quiet, soothing and relaxing!

Stayed: February 2008