All reviews house smoked salmon assortment of pastries eggs any style my husband and i french toast b bs fresh fruit the breakfast area wedding venue hot entrees rooms are gorgeous afternoon tea private entrance breakfast was excellent bed and breakfast turn down service antique furnishings
Reviewed July 29, 2012

The Southern Mansion is an exceptional place to stay in a town filled with Victorian B&Bs. Outstanding breakfasts served in an attractive morning room and lovelyl public spaces that are inviting and beautifully furnished. Probably the most comfortable bed I have ever slept in. The only negative is that we were on the third floor with no elevator, normally two flights is not an issue, but with such high ceilings on all floors it becomes a steeper climb. I highly recommend this establishment.

• Stayed: July 2012, traveled with friends
3  Thank Tiorati
Reviewed July 19, 2012

From Carol & Oneca: We lived and worked in a lively and gregarious world – my daughter in the hospitality industry and I, an educator. Our home was in Brooklyn, NYC. Varieties of noises and diversity of people – race, economy, religion, etc.- were a welcome part of who we were. We thrived on the potpourri of all that was alive. There were times, however, when to appreciate what was good in Brooklyn and to nurture our own gregarious souls, we had to take time away to be quiet and to notice the beauty and magnificence in the world around us. The Southern Mansion in Cape May (Exit 0!) represented that magnificence for us.
The Southern Mansion is an old Victorian home at the corner of Jefferson Ave and Washington Ave in Cape May. We set out at around 10:30am from Brooklyn. Our goal was to find our way onto the Garden State Parkway and ultimately reach Exit 0. We did after three hours and ten minutes and less than half a tank of gas! The Mansion had its own parking and since everywhere was within walking distance from the Mansion, this was the last time during our too-short four-night stay that we’d have to worry about parking and cab fares. This was our first win – we had already saved some 500% on airfare to get to our most beautiful mother-daughter vacation in a very long time. Guest Services were kind and congenial and before we set off to our room, we had reserved dinner at 410 Bank Street! (Excellent choice!)
The ‘Room’ was amazing. It was absolutely spotless. The furniture was old school – an armoire, bureau, king superior bed, round table with chairs, and a ‘mini-settee’, that completed the Victorian earth tones of the room. A contemporary flat screen TV was part of the décor – as if to say, ‘Just in case you need to catch up, later.’ The bathroom and shower areas were impeccable. Towels were actually white. The room was well lit. We had access to a private balcony. A table and two chairs were on another less private balcony just outside our front door. That balcony overlooked a vast, green and impeccably-manicured lawn. A wonderful man brought our luggage up to our room and promptly disappeared. There was peace and quiet everywhere.
As was our tradition, we got our keys and walked around to survey what would be our home-away-from-home for the next week. There were wooden spiral staircases that had us awestruck with their complex simplicity. We loved the rocking chairs on the front porch. I had time to notice a butterfly that moved lazily among the pink flowers. The air conditioning was set just right. The books that seemed to appear everywhere we sat and needed one to be, gave us information on the history of the Mansion. We rocked in silence – my daughter and I - as we delighted in the contrast between the hustle of Brooklyn and the calm of this place – ‘Just what the doctor ordered!’
The next morning, I rose up early to watch the sprinklers as they slowly fed the thirsty lawns. There was no sound, except the sound of the sprinklers and the happy birds. My daughter slept. I grabbed my book – The Slap, by Christos Tsiolkas, and read some 50 pages! It was the first time I had read any book unrelated to my weekly lesson plans in two years! Breakfast consisted of pastries and juices: orange, tomato, water. There was tea – all varieties – and coffee – all varieties. But, pastries were the appetizers! We then got to choose from four different breakfast menus. There were omelet made to specific order, pancakes, waffles, bagels, eggs, bacon, and sausages! Enough to feed the five thousand!
Over the next couple of days, we rode the trolleys (The Mansions by the Sea Tours was our absolute favorite!) and ate at some of the best restaurants for dinner – 410 Bank Street, Freda’s Café, Tisha’s?. If you ever visit Cape May in the summer, do not forget to hunt down the Gelato-sorbet on the Mall at Ocean Ave. My favorite flavor was banana, even though I chose to eat a double scoop of strawberry/banana each day. I refused to eat the lemon flavor that my daughter claimed would clean my palate. Somehow, I was not in the mood to have a clean palate, I wanted to taste all of Cape May before I left. The beach was wonderful and worth every bit of the five dollars for beach tags. My suggestion would be that you bring a picnic with you and plan to stay all day. The horizon where the blue water kissed the cloudless sky was simply awe-inspiring. P.S. Bring a paint brush, pallet and paper! If you forgot your beach umbrella, you might rent one for $11.00. The rental area will be happy to install it for you. People seemed at ease and quiet. The beach was full of relaxed faces and lazy smiles. Parents seemed to just notice how much their children had grown over the past year. My daughter clicked away on her iphone camera.
While we were ‘planners,’ we had nothing set in stone to do on our last full day in Cape May. We decided to walk the two-mile stretch on Beach Ave, where the million dollars mansions provided a backdrop on the land side for the beautiful ocean. Sea breeze wafted over us and before we knew it we had covered more territory than was our original intent. My daughter clicked away as she indulged her not-so-secret dream - to own one of these mansions some day. I watched as tension and stress emanate from her beautiful head. The walk was blissful. We chuckled and often laughed out loud as we caught up on a year on goings-on. We ran into our ‘new friends’ having cocktails at Aletheau’s by the Sea. This was the life! We knew we had found our annual home for a long time to come.
Packing to leave was sad for me. We talked very little as Route 109 became the Garden State Parkway guiding us back into Brooklyn. We could barely believe that ‘this piece of heaven,’ was a part of New Jersey, just a few hours away from our home in Brooklyn. We knew we were blessed to have visited Cape May where the Southern Mansion represented the perfect backdrop to an awesome time.

Room Tip: Look online. Room description & pictures are very clear.
  • Stayed: July 2012, traveled with family
3  Thank Carol B
southernmansion, Manager at The Southern Mansion, responded to this reviewResponded July 23, 2012

Thank you so much for your kind and detailed review! We want to truly make your stay wonderful and unforgettable! We look forward to seeing you again soon!

Your friend,

Denise Cortina General Manager

Reviewed July 8, 2012

Stayed here during a slightly offseason midweek getaway and had a fantastic experience. The front desk staff were incredible kind and helpful. Trey were so overflowing with enthusiasm about Cape May and excited to share. Due to the last minute and midweek nature of our trip we were able to get a great rate on an absolutely beautifully adorned room. There's no question that you feel like you're staying more in a room built for royalty and less in a hotel. The blue and gold trim on the room was very stately, and there were just so many original details from original artwork to floor to ceiling length mirrors to beautiful chandeliers to original hardwood floors covered with beautiful rugs. The sink was a little unconventionally located toward the middle of the room (outside of the bathroom), but this really only added to the charm. Breakfast was top notch as well.

• Stayed: June 2012
1  Thank Happy T

Thank you for your wonderful comments! We are delighted to have made you stay special! WE can't wait for you to stay with us again!
We are here to make you happy and your stay a true pleasure!

Denise Cortina (General Manage)

Reviewed July 7, 2012

My husband and another couple visited Cape May in early May of this year for 3 days/2 nights. We had all been to Cape May before, but none of us had stayed at The Southern Mansion. From the first phone call to make the reservation to our departure we received amazing hospitality from the warm and inviting staff. Each shared with us the history of the place as much as they could and answered all of our questions re: sightseeing, places to eat, and wineries to visit. That was our greatest dissapointment is that their winery (off property) was not open yet. We'll have to make a return trip for that.

The location of the B&B was great. Easy and quick access to area historic B&Bs for teas, downtown Cape May (walking mall area), and just across the street from the Washington Inn where we had wonderful food, drinks, and conversation at the bar with the bartender before walking back "home".

The staff let us roam around the property exploring all of the neat artifacts on the walls, peeking in to rooms that were unoccupied, and hanging out in the cupola to watch a sunset and relax. The breakfasts were plentiful and good food (and good table service).

We used a Groupon deal and are so pleased that we bought it and got to experience The Southern Masion's exquisiteness and hospitality.

Room Tip: We stayed on the third floor in the original house (very quiet) and in two of the King Deluxe Rooms (I can't remember the room numbers, but one had a yellow ceiling and blue walls and the other had a pink ceiling and purple walls).
  • Stayed: May 2012, traveled as a couple
2  Thank theplaceswego
Reviewed July 2, 2012

We celebrated my husband's birthday with a weekend retreat at The Southern Mansion. What a beautiful place. It is centrally located, walking distance to the beach, shops and restaurants. The breakfasts were delicious and the dining room staff was very friendly. We stayed in Room 25, which has access to a shared porch but also has a private balcony. The front desk staff at check-in could have been a bit more outgoing like asking if we had visited before and offering suggestions on what to do, where to go, where to eat (an experience we are used to when visitng B&B's). The young woman who checked us in definitely gave me more of a "hotel" feel than a "bed & breakfast". We did get a good dinner recommendation from another young woman later and the gentleman at checkout was great - wish we had him at check in. However, over all, the Mansion is beautiful and the rooms are wonderful, We will return.

Room Tip: King Premier rooms have access to a large porch and Room 25 also offers a private balcony.
  • Stayed: June 2012, traveled as a couple