“Nice B&B in Cape May”

The Southern Mansion
Ranked #16 of 37 Hotels in Cape May
Reviewed December 21, 2011

My wife and I stayed at Southern Mansion in June. The B&B itself is beautiful. The rooms are very nice but some could use a little updating. The location is OK but I would prefer to stay closer to the beach and main strip next time. It is right by alot of great shops though. The breakfast was very good also. My only complaint is that the lady at the front desk told us how the B&B is haunted upon booking in. I don't believe those stories, but some do not sleep so well after hearing this news. It was an awkward thing to talk about before we even stayed there. Also our room was right by the breakfast area so it got loud quite early in the morning. Overall it is a very nice place, but I do feel it is a bit overpriced for what you get.

• Stayed: June 2011, traveled as a couple
5  Thank rhtrips333
There are newer reviews for The Southern Mansion

Reviewed November 6, 2011

I have spent a lot of time in Cape May including living there in 1984-85. It is an absolutely beautiful town that is full of Inns, B&B's and very good restaurants. Years ago, the now Southern Mansion, was a hugh dilapidated unoccupied ediface. You could not help but notice it as you made your way into the town of Cape May- it looked like a hugh haunted house. Today, it is an Inn that is beautifully restored and maintained. The property is very close to the walking mall and the restaurants that Cape May is known for. The beach and promenade are a short walk away but this is not one of the oceanfront properties. I reccomend this place- very nice property to spend some time. A romantic spot for sure.

3  Thank TRAINMAN84
Reviewed October 31, 2011

Purchased a package on Living Social, and like a previous reviewer, found the Southern Mansion a delight. Room was wonderful, and enormous (#8 on third floor -- long walk up, but worth it!). We've been to Cape May several times, and it really is walkable to a lot of things -- and even with the Nor'easter that dampened our outdoor activities, couldn't complain about being in that gorgeous room, enjoying the sound of the rain and curling up with a good book. Breakfast was wonderful -- given a choice of hot entrees, and oh, the little pastries they also have available are to die for! We'll definitely keep the Southern Mansion in mind for our next trip to Cape May!

Room Tip: If you have mobility problems, make sure you clarify what room you'll be staying in. Room 8 was...
3  Thank Altosong
Reviewed October 28, 2011

I purchased this 2 day package on Living Social and it was just perfect! The room was gorgeous, with chocolate covered strawberries, cookies and a welcome gift awaiting us. Walking distance to everything, and I mean everything, the beach, the restaurants, the attractions, etc.... Would go again at full price!

1  Thank lovetoocook
Reviewed September 25, 2011

We have stayed here several times, all have been good experiences. The staff have been welcoming, the rooms are comfortable and each room decorated differently.

Sarah & Jim

Room Tip: We have stayed in several of the rooms including #3, #6, #19, #20 and #21. Room #3 is our favorite...
  • Stayed: September 2011, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Sarah T
Reviewed September 15, 2011

We have been going to The Southern Mansion since the 90s. I love this place but was disappointed that the afternoon tea with so many yummy snacks is no longer offered. You still get beverages but no lavish foods as we had in the past. You still get the breakfast as well. The place is still so immaculate and gorgeous attention to decor throughout the mansion is still quite stunning.

• Stayed: August 2011, traveled as a couple
Reviewed September 7, 2011

The first time we came to Cape May I saw the Southern Mansion while taking a walk. I thought it was breathtaking and Googled it when I got home. My husband and I have been coming to Cape May for over 13 years and continue to book our reservations at the Southern Mansion. The Mansion is so beautifully decorated and runs more like a hotel than a B&B. The staff is very friendly and having your own table for breakfast is very nice--not to mention the great breakfast selections that are available. We always enjoy our visits there and look forward to the next. Cape May, in general, is a very nice place to tour and enjoy the history, enjoy the beach, lots of great walking and wonderful restaurants. I give the Southern Mansion a 4 Star rating!

• Stayed: September 2011, traveled as a couple