“Surprisingly perfect for a young couple” 5 of 5 bubbles
Review of Angel of the Sea

Angel of the Sea
Ranked #6 of 39 Cape May B&B and Inns
Egg Harbor Township, New Jersey
“Surprisingly perfect for a young couple”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 14, 2010

I have to say when my girlfriend said she wanted to stay at a bed and breakfast I was a little concerned. Thoughts of a couple, in there 30's staying at a B&B instead of a hotel worried me. It took all but about 10 minutes to switch my mind set and allow me to start my relaxation. We checked in late afternoon, just in time for several kinds of cookies and cakes along with coffee and hot tea. Our room was "very clean and decorated beautifully", says my girlfriend who is back seat writing over my shoulder right now. But I do agree. When we did leave our room we went to the main living room for wine, cheese, and different olives salads. 'Plenty of wine", she wants me to point out. The staff was more than helpful. They made all of our dinner reservations along with a massage appointment for my girlfriend and a tee-time for me. Perhaps my favorite part of the stay were the breakfasts. A buffet that included baked goods, cereal, fresh fruit, and a hot baked fruit dish was waiting for us in the dinning room each morning. I thought that was the whole meal and was very happy, but then a young lady gave us a choice of two entrees. My choice was the best pumpkin Belgium waffles I ever had. "I told you so", my girlfriend just pointed out to me. She did, and I have to admit she was right. Does this mean I should listen to her more?

• Stayed November 2010, traveled as a couple
2 Thank RobertP231

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (215)
White Post, Virginia
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 5, 2010

We stayed at AOTS in 2009 and had such a wonderful time in Cape May we were anxious to return in 2010 to celebrate a couple of major milestones. We specifically requested a particular room that we had been able to preview during our first stay. Little did we know that we would be moved from our requested room for 3 and showed up with our party of 3 on the appointed date. Shame on me for my not realizing this before we arrived, but I never dreamed this would be done to us. We wound up having to pay for another room in another hotel for the entire weekend. Even so, I was determined to have a nice weekend in spite of this. Then, as I silently (I repeat - I was going to just leave the key at the desk and depart) handed in the key when we were departing, I was verbally and aggressively attacked by the desk attendant who insisted that he had to prove that I was wrong and they couldn't possibly have made such a mistake as change our reservation. Unfortunately, he went on to say that the party who had booked our room canceled 3 weeks prior and they gave it to someone else. I really didn't need to be told this, let alone being treated in such a negative and aggressive way. I so enjoyed this inn and had recommended it to a number of people after our first stay. No more.

Stayed October 2010, traveled with family
6 Thank UTVOL75
AngeloftheSea, Manager at Angel of the Sea, responded to this review, November 9, 2010
I am outraged this open forum can be used to relate incorrect and out right blatent lies without regaurd to how this may impact readers who believe this is a true travel review site.
This reviewer came into our home with 3 adults for a room that only sleeps 2.Their reservation was always for room 8 and for 2 adults from the original booking date in Oct '09.Their behavior and demands were unwarranted, but the staff did all they could to accomadate them even calling around town looking for a place their son could stay.
They had made this reservation in October 2009. Our front desk Staff had sent her and her husband to look at rooms.She came out very excited after see room 3 until she was informed room 3 was already booked .A guest has reserved this same for the last 15 yrs.This woman was very disappointed .
We went over the description for room 8 as it was occupied.Her husband was a bit reluctant to book as it was only for 2 people, and they were uncertain whether their son could join them. She was worried they would loose out on this room ,said to book it, and their son would have to find his own room if he came.Her husband was still a little reluctant,but they confirmed their reservation for Oct 2010 for room 8 and 2 people.
We sent a reconfirmation in Aug 2010 which includes information about room number and amount of people staying.
As far as an "attack" goes it was quite the opposite.The front desk was doing all they could to accomate them,while the couple carried on disrupting the other guests during wine and cheese.It was so bad that some of our guests came to staff and told them how well they thought they handled themselves.
To further try and mend fences their son,daughter and her boyfriend were invited to enjoy tea,wine and cheese and breakfast all free of additional charges.They did take full advantage of this.
Chadds Ford, PA
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 27, 2010

My husband and I were looking forward to celebrating our 40th anniversary in early November at the Angel of the Sea. When I made the reservation at the beginning of October, I told the person that we had two labrador retrievers who would be sleeping in their crates in a closed pick-up truck in the parking lot (this is cool weather season, so no danger of overheating). We often do this with our dogs, who are well-behaved and are not barkers. I was told that this would be OK. Then, a month later and only two weeks before our planned stay, I received a phone call from the owner who said that we could not keep our dogs in the truck in the parking lot. I asked him to hold our reservation while we considered our options. After checking other places, most of which were booked, I phoned back to say that we would not park our truck in the parking lot. The person who took the message said he would relay it to the owner. Two days later I received a message on my voicemail stating that the owner had cancelled our reservation because he did not want dogs sleeping in any trucks ANYWHERE in Cape May! Since we had booked at a special rate, my husband and I suspected that this was just an excuse to rent the room for a longer period or a higher rate. Perhaps it was not - but to wait 4 weeks and then cancel our reservation at the last minute was inexcusable!

• 1 of 5 bubbles
7 Thank Granita43
AngeloftheSea, Manager at Angel of the Sea, responded to this review, November 2, 2010
I am deeply saddened these folks couldn't find a sitter or kennel for their beloved
Labs.It was not a descion we took lightly but they were the only people who believed two large dogs locked in a car overnight was being a responsible owner.
Having asked our Cape May County Animal Control Department if this would be acceptable we were informed they would be removed from the vehicle locked or not and the owners would be fined.
We still have their room available.We could not have the dogs here inside and we told them they could not stay outside.
I also gave these folks information on properties in Cape May where the dogs could stay in the room with them.Their response surprised me as she did not want to stay in a room with dogs barking in the room next to them.
Sadly as they were insisting on bringing the dogs with them I couldn't take the reservation.
Baltimore, Maryland
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 26, 2010

We received a Bed and Breakfast.com gift certificate from our children a few years ago and just had the chance to use it this past weekend. I had wanted to visit the Angel of the Sea, but many of the reviews just plain scared me. My hubby said that we shouldn't worry just go for it. Having never been to another B&B, I don't have much to compare it to, but I seriously don't know how the experience could get better than what we had this weekend!

We arrived on a Sunday afternoon about 3:00 and were showed to our room by one of the employees and told when tea time, wine and cheese and breakfast took place. The room itself was beautiful! We booked Angel Suite 9. The hardwood floors were stunning, beautiful oriental style carpets, furniture fitting the period of time can all be found here. We booked an Angel Suite for the view of the ocean which was close enough to hear the waves crashing on the shore. Not sure if we would book this room again as we really didn't use the porch as much as we thought we would, but the view was certainly lovely!

Tea time was quite the event at the Angel. Homemade cakes and cookies along with tea and coffee are served at 4 in the dining room and guests can get acquainted with one another in the parlor or out on one of the Angel's porches while enjoying their treats. We didn't partake of the wine and cheese, but heard from others it is very nice! The Angel had menus to many of the restaurants in Cape Cod and you can peruse them while enjoying treats in the parlor. The staff was also very helpful with making arrangements. I called the Angel before we went to ask about Aleathea's Restaurant because I was buying a Restaurant.com gift certificate and the young woman who answered was very helpful.

There is off street parking, beach chairs and bikes for complementary use by patrons. This was really nice as we rode around Cape May all day Monday. The beach chairs were not a lot of use as we didn't sit at the beach, but during the summer months I'm sure the guests really appreciate the thought of not having to drag one more thing with them.

We were impressed with so many things for a first visit. Loved the bed was turned down, the room smelled very nice, really appreciated the ceiling fan above the bed as we are used to having one at home. We found the decor of the home very appealing. It's nice that owners care enough to use period style furniture. I read a review that termed the parlor *cluttered* but we didn't find it that way at all. It was all very interesting. I'm a firm believer that maybe people who aren't sure about a stay at a turn of the century B&B with surrounded with bric-a-brack and furniture should maybe book a weekend at their local ordinary hotel, because they would be SOOOO much happier!

Breakfast was HEAVENLY! There is fruit, cake, cereal and yogurt set up in a little alcove that you make take as much as you want. I have to laugh at the one comment about the set up of the buffet because it's actually where it belongs and the buffet (piece of furniture) fit perfectly in it. Two choices were given everyday....one was some sort of egg bake offering and the other a *bread* offering (french toast or waffle the two days we were guests) served along with a piece of breakfast meat. I had the egg bake both days and HAD to buy their cookbook! At no time was there a lack of food....matter of fact, we didn't have lunch until 1PM on Monday and on our way home on Tuesday because we were still full from breakfast.

If you are looking for a jacuzzi or double shower with body jets, this probably isn't the place for you. We actually found the bathroom on the small side, but it was in the room and we didn't have to share it. They provided upscale soaps and lotions....all very nice!

All employees greeted us anytime we came in the building. Found everyone very nice, helpful and informative. Naturally, I can't speak for another person's experience when it comes to how one person feels about another, but at no time did we feel anyone we came in contact with was unfriendly.

We loved it so much we intend to book again very soon! Matter of fact, the two couples we sat with this morning are repeat guests....the one couple stays on average once a month!

2 Thank islandgirlejfan
Lansdale, Pennsylvania
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 25, 2010

My new husband and I came here for a short "mini honeymoon". When we arrived it did have a very "business" type feel. Not one on one at first. There are a couple people running things and they were very nice. We were shown to our beautiful, very clean room by a lovely woman. Looking around the room we noticed beautiful victorian furniture and a big bed that was extremely comfortable along with a nice size private bath. The only thing I was dissapointed about was our "ocean view" It was out of this small window and you couldnt see out of it when you woke up like I was hoping but it was a nice view none the less when you did look out the window. We had tea and cakes on the huge front porch and it was very relaxing. Breakfast was served to us and it was deeelish! They provided bikes and even when we checked out we were invited back for wine and cheese, cake and tea, and were allowed to use the bikes for as long as we wished. Over all, a warm, comfortable friendly cozy place to relax and enjoy the beach.

1 Thank SeaSiren204
Coimbatore
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 25, 2010

Friendly staff. Food was reasonable for a free breakfast. Toilets were clean and functional.

• Stayed October 2010, traveled on business
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
Review collected in partnership with Cleartrip

Middletown, Delaware
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 18, 2010

From Victorian decor to "tea" and cookies to wine and cheese to the wonderful breakfasts this is a wonderful place to stay. Only drawback...they have 3 floors and no elevators...ask for rooms on 1st or 2nd floor.

Stayed October 2010, traveled as a couple