“Victorian beauty”
Review of Angel of the Sea

Angel of the Sea
Ranked #5 of 40 Cape May B&B and Inns
Reviewed October 31, 2013 via mobile

My husband and I drove to Cape May without a room booked. We arrived late (after 9) and were thrilled to find a vacancy sign hanging outside of The Angel. I peeked at which rooms were available on the website and was pleasantly surprised when we were charged a much lower rate at the desk. This was our first time staying at a B&B. Our room was small but beautiful. No detail was overlooked. The bed and linens were super comfortable. I always find hotel pillows to be too thick and usually bring my own pillow, but these were perfect! I was surprised at how quite it was considering the age of the inn and the fact that nearly all of the rooms were full (we were on the 3rd floor). The only reason I am not giving 5 stars is because the breakfast was a bit of a disappointment. We enjoyed the friendly service and chatting with the couple seated at our table, but the food was not great. There was a fruit cobbler of some sort that seemed loaded with random ingredients and seriously undercooked, I thought I had read that there would be an assortment of baked goods...there was only one choice, a coffee cake that looked burnt. The main course was better (egg bake for myself and a waffle for my husband) but nothing special. I would STILL stay here if I ever have the opportunity to visit Cape May again but hope the kitchen is having a better day.

Stayed: October 2013, traveled as a couple
There are newer reviews for Angel of the Sea

Reviewed October 31, 2013

We have been staying at the Angel for several years now, several times a year. It's particularly wonderful in the winter when the crowds have gone home! Rooms are fabulous (not a bad one in the place) and the staff can't do enough for the guests. With such a hearty breakfast, there is no need for lunch, and with the tea and sweets and wine and cheese, most times we don't even bother with going out to dinner!! Being just across the street from the beach, you can't beat the location, either. We love this place and will continue to visit frequently! Our favorite getaway!!

Room Tip: Go to the Angel's web page and view the rooms. You'll have a hard time choosing!
  • Stayed: October 2013, traveled as a couple
Reviewed October 30, 2013

We had a 2-day 1-night stay in late September and this was our 1st visit to the Angel of the Sea and we were very pleased. We up-graded a gift certificate and this was very easy to do. We checked in and this was very easy process. The room was nice and very appropriate for a B&B. The staff was nice. We enjoyed the afternoon tea and thought the wine and cheese time was awesome!! We would go back to the Angel of the Sea in a heart beat and we would recommend it highly.

• Stayed: September 2013, traveled as a couple
Reviewed October 24, 2013

My boyfriend and I came here for a little two day getaway. We came in the off-peak season but this place was still very busy! Honestly, we were kind of disappointed with our stay here. We've stayed in other B&B's in Cape May before and I'd much prefer those to Angel of the Sea.

The place itself is very beautiful and full of history. I know they're trying to play up the Victorian theme but they literally have stuff/figurines EVERY WHERE they can fit them. It's too much and looks kind of cheap. The giant round balls covered in glass stones and beads they have all over are a bit out of place too. They have coffee and tea available all day. Wine/cheese time was very nice as well. Breakfast options were good and tasty but breakfast felt very much like I was going to a restaurant and had to wait about 10 minutes to be seated. Once we were seated, my BF tried to sit across from me so we could actually talk, but they told us he had to sit next to me so they could put another couple across from us.

The room we stayed in was very cute but was small and so dusty! The decorations were so old and very numerous so I don't think they are ever cleaned. Also, when I go away I look forward to nice big fluffy towels and I've been to crappy motels with better towels. They were old and crunchy and very unpleasant.

The staff was NOT that warm welcoming staff I normally meet at a B&B. They talked to returning guests quite a bit and never even introduced themselves to us. Overall we had a nice stay, but I would not return. They need to work on their decor (too many cheap knickknacks), dusting in the rooms, terrible bath linens, and hospitality!

• Stayed: October 2013, traveled as a couple
7  Thank csteph320
Ron S, Owner at Angel of the Sea, responded to this reviewResponded August 23, 2015

Hi csteph,

My wife and I purchased the Inn in May 2015 and have been going through reviews from the past several years. I noticed your review from 2013 and would like to give you an update. We've been working on all the things you suggested - in our first 90 days of ownership.

The following list is by no means the complete list of changes but here are the ones that relate to your specific feedback:
1) We have decluttered the lobby and removed many of the decorated balls to which you referred.
2) We now serve breakfast on the porch (weather permitting) in addition to the dining room. This has eliminated the wait for a seat.
3) We no longer EVER interfere with guests seating preference - guests sit wherever they like - period.
4) Every housekeeper has a swiffer, a new vacuum and better cleaning supplies. Our rooms are very clean and have been decluttered. We receive numerous compliments on this aspect but you would have to be the judge.
5) I'm on-site 5-6 days and nights per week serving our guests and getting to know them. I do take a break to return home for a brief visit with my family (we haven't yet relocated).

What would it take to get you to come back? If you are willing to chat about this please call the front desk and ask for Ron, or reach out to me through tripadvisor.

Thanks!

Ron, Theresa and the staff.

Reviewed October 22, 2013

you can't tell by the picture, but this room is no bigger than a walk in closet. To add to it there is a HUGE Heater/AC/Dehumidifier? standing in the middle of the narrow walk to the bath from the bed!!! It's vented to the door by a big, like a foot in diameter hose, to the walk out balcony , so you can't get out there without squeezing through the door, which will only open a crack because the hose and huge thing is in the way. there is no surfaces to put things because every inch is covered in ornaments and fake greenery. Undoubtedly the most inconvenient room ever. It was clean and the breakfast was good.

• Stayed: September 2013, traveled as a couple
2  Thank nellybelle_9
Reviewed October 21, 2013

I come to the Angel every year for the last 4 years for a girls get-away. Love it. Staff very friendly, rooms clean and breakfast, afternoon tea and wine & cheese are excellent. We never feel rushed and it is very relaxing. Would have given it 5 stars except they don't take into account food allergies that people may have. Often serve desserts with nuts and they are in close proximity to other food. No labels either. I had to keep asking which contained nuts. It may seem trivial to some but its truly a life or death situation to many of us.

Room Tip: Many rooms have tubs which are difficult to climb into for some people. Ask specifically for a room...
  • Stayed: October 2013, traveled with friends
Reviewed October 21, 2013

I have been going for years to the "Angel" and will return again. It is a retreat from the day to day stress. The shopping, biking, beach, the wine and so much more. The staff go out of their way for you. The breakfast, tea, and wine/cheese is great. Beach chairs, towels, umbrellas, bikes all available. The bed is comfortable and the whole place charming. Chet and staff are very helpful
I can't say enough good things about it
Thanks again
See you soon!

Room Tip: I like the main house. Remember to check if you have a claw tub if you are unable to climb; can be...
  • Stayed: October 2013, traveled with friends