“It was ok!!”

Cape May Whale Watch & Research Center
Reviewed October 16, 2012

We went on September 15th, 2012 on the last day of the Dolphin Watch and Dinner Cruise. Now it was a cold day and it was even colder the deeper in the ocean we went! But me and my family were excited to go and see dolphins! First off the pizza is actually pretty good but the hot dogs are horrible and taste cheap! It's $2 for a can of soda which is not bad! Now the cruise was not packed and we decided to sit out outside so we can get a best view possible! Cape May is beautiful and we got to see a lot of houses along the beach and the Coast Guard base but with the exception of a few common birds and water that is all we saw!!! Not one dolphin or whale!! Once you got deeper into the ocean there were no birds or houses just waves and it got veryyy boring and cold!! The guy who was talking gives as much detail and the workers on board were nice people! But being on a boat for 2 hours and cold at that hearing someone tell you about common birds and mansions is boring and not what i paid for so I was very upset!! They did give us a free return ticket(the sign the back of your ticket) to return whenever we want and it wont expire but seeing as I came from Brooklyn, NY which is over a 2 hour drive I doubt I will go back!!! Wish we saw dolphins :/ ALSO VERY IMPORTANT is the fact that this place is tricky to find since you have to make a turn at a gas station and then continue on a road and then you will end at parking lot!! But you better drive slow when you get close to this place or you will be lost, we had to call since we got lost!! It's a small company and I dont know where they do their research since they have a small booth on the parking lot but Ill take them for their word! If you go when it's nice and hot outside in July then you might have a good time but we did not want to run into a packed ship with our 2 year old so we decided to go after school started!!

1  Thank Amanda N Joshua L

Reviewed September 24, 2012

Went on a dolphin watch on Saturday in Cape May. What a gorgeous day to be out on the ocean. September is the perfect month to go out in search of whales and dolphins. We saw quite a few pods of dolphins feeding and playing. We had wanted to go whale watching but the tours were sold out. Word to the wise, if you want to go whale watching be sure to book early. The boat we were on has just arrived from Alaska and was large and comfortable. The captain and crew were very nice and knowledgeable. Great day!!

1  Thank snorkelgal52
Reviewed September 23, 2012

The Cape May Whale watch and research center is an excellent choice for this activity. The boat is large and can handle crowds easily. The staff is very knowledgeable and informative. We saw many dolphin families and sighted a whale, watching it for quite a while. We stayed out extended time because the whale was quite cooperative and stayed close. Beautiful day on the water.Beverages and snacks were available for purchase, prices were reasonable . Head was clean and worked!

1  Thank vicki c
Reviewed September 18, 2012

We circled Cape May in exactly 2 hours for a Whale and Dolphin watch. Not only did we see many (15?) dolphins, but we had an excellent vantage point to see all of Cape May. Our guide was very well informed and continued throughout the ride to inform us of surroundings - from the Ospry carrying fish to the historic buildings onshore. The captain stopped the vessel, reversed and circled when we found ourselves surrounded by dolphins. This whale watch company is excellent. My only complaint is that they need better signage to find them. Heading out of Cape May, they are the very last right turn before getting onto the bridge (Utsch's Marina) After the turn, you continue along the gravel road (through a parking lot) until you cannot go any further. If you have never done a whale watch trip in Cape May, I highly recommend it.

1  Thank gymratatoo
Reviewed September 13, 2012

Well, I probably can't give a total review of this cruise since we didn't see ANYTHING. I'm sure this is very rare as we saw dolphins on both of our ferry rides, however, this was not the day for mammals in the water. Of course this isn't the fault of the center...they can't control the animal life. The Center did honor their guarantee of a free cruise in the future since we didn't see anything. Staff were mostly friendly (the ladies were, the guys weren't). Narration on the cruise was lacking. When we first started it was a little loud, then it got to where you couldn't hear what they were saying at all. After about the 2nd hour we were all ready to be back on shore. I'd say 1/3 of the boat was laying down taking a nap.

Most disappointing part of the ride was the ridiculous prices they charge for food on the boat...$2.00 for a pack of Starburst, etc.. If you have kids, keep them away from the snack counter unless you brought plenty of cash to blow.

I don't know that we'll do this again, but if we do we'll probably research when the best time to see whales is in the area & try to hit the cruise then.