“AMAZING food!!”

Ranked #57 of 141 Restaurants in Cape May
Cuisines: American
Good for: Local cuisine, Romantic
Dining options: Lunch, Dinner, Reservations
Description: American Coastal Cuisine inspired by the land and the sea, featuring locally-sourced, seasonal ingredients. Thank you for another fabulous season. See you in May 2017!
Reviewed July 18, 2010

We had dinner last night at the Island Grill and had a fabulous meal. We were a grandmom, two moms and two kids (5 and 6) so VERY diverse!!!

The restaurant is just off Washington street, so it's a great location as you can take a nice stroll afterwards.

It's housed in a charming Victorian house with a very nice tropic feel on the inside.

We had reservations and were seated immediately. We had a lovely waitress who was willing to accomedate all our requests (forgot her name, but lovely with very long black hair). The one hicc-up was that there isn't a kids menu, but they do have "kids options" each night. On our nite, the waitress asked the chef and he said he could do a pasta for kids. Upon request, they also were willing to do a fish and chips for my daughter in a smaller size. YEAH!

We adults had meals ranging from the most beautiful dish (a tuna steak) to the most scrumptious (my grouper in a beure blanc) to the diving (a perectly executed spinach salad).

Everything was perfect. The flavors were well balanced and sophisticated without being over the top. The service was flawless and the night was lovely.

It's BYOB, which we enjoy.

Five stars --- can't wait to come back next year.

Reviewed July 14, 2010

Ok, so my daughter actually wrote the title, but it is accurate. Island Grill has some of the freshest seafood in Cape May. It is in a quiet location just around the corner from Collier's where you'll want to pcik up a bottle of your favorite vintage to enjoy with the meal. The decor has a casual island feel. The diners are mostly couples and families with older children as the noise level is on the low side - just what you want with a relaxing, but fun, meal. You can't go wrong with the fish of the day. Three at our table had the grouper and were quite pleased. We enjoyed the coconut shrimp appetizer which was done just right.

1  Thank Brian-with-an-I
Reviewed July 11, 2010

We had a great meal there recently. The staff's recommendations were perfect - we ordered the specials and they were terrific. Can't wait to return

Reviewed June 23, 2010

I am so happy to see a recent review of the Island Grill on tripadvisor.com. I've dined here in the past, and it was 'good', the staff has always been attentive & friendly, the atmosphere always a special treat. I found out that Carol (the owner) hired a new executive chef, I think a local man who attended the CIA, and had a new menu concept.

Carol is still as lovely and warm as she has always been, but I see a new found energy in the entire staff. The Island Grill is sure to give every restaurant in Cape May (and the surrounding area) a hell of a run for their money. I leave you with a little glimpse of my experience their this past weekend:

I dined at the Island Grill in September of 2009, and also feel it was "average at best". I had a fresh fish selection with the roasted tomato sauce. The sauce was delicious, but my fish (grouper) was over cooked. My service was exceptional for such a casual atmosphere, but I left a little disappointed. Yet, I returned to Cape May this past weekend, and my mom and I decided to give the Island Grill another shot. We only did this because a local friend of mine informed me that they had revamped their menu AND had hired a new executive chef. With apprehension, we entered on Saturday evening.

They literally finalized their new menu within that week, and it was well worth the 9 month wait. Simply by the wording of every item on the menu, one can tell that this new culinary enigma ( I think his name is Conor, my mother thinks the server said Conrad) has a deep-routed passion for food.

My mother had a late lunch, so she ordered two appetizers for her meal: BBQ Duck Confit Pastillas & the new & much improved Ahi Tuna.
-Rich and delicate pieces of duck in a carolina style bbq sauce encased in phyllo dough. The slight sweetness of the sauce and duck contrasted with a slight saltiness echos the traditional Moroccan pastilla.
Luckily my mother saved me a taste...I typically don't care for duck, but this was genius.
Ahhh the ahi tuna. The "old" version was tasty, but I always thought it could've been improved. The buckwheat noodle salad truly saved the "old" ahi tuna.
Saturday, the fresh piece of tuna was coated in herbs and sesame seeds, and spent a few hot seconds on the grill. It was served over a Wakame seaweed salad, a mango/papaya & avocado salsa, and topped with a ginger/grapefruit gelee. This was a refreshing version of ahi tuna to say the least.
We shared the infamous LObster Mac & Cheese for our entree because Ive been dreaming about it since last fall. To my delight it was as delicious as I remembered it. I wanted to try the Blackpepper & lime encrusted yellowfin tuna entree, but too much tuna may have been overkill. So I will return again and again until I try every single menu item! We also saved room for dessert, a miracle! We shared a Lemon & vanilla creme brulee...hands down best creme brulee I've ever had, and I consider myself an expert.

I don't know how much time I will be spending in the stuffy fine dining restaurants in cape may that I used to, but I know one thing for sure... My money is well spent at the quaint and casual Island Grill.

Reviewed June 22, 2010

I can only say the food was great the Lobster Mac and Cheese was fantastic. Everyone in our party loved what they had and there were six of us, from the lobster croquettes to the seared tuna, cooked perfectly by the way. The owner Carol is so friendly and helpful and would do anything to make your dinning experience pleasant. Oh and the desert was amazing a a creme brulee out of this world. Don't miss the Island Grill I have been to many Cape May restaurants and have to say this is on my favorite list this year. I believe they have a new chef who has really brought things to a new level.