“A REAL DUMP!!!”

Colton Court Motor Inn
Ranked #36 of 37 Hotels in Cape May
Reviewed September 6, 2012

Stay way! Looks nice in the pictures but. this property needs an EXTREME makeover. The room we stayed in had black mold on the walls and ceiling of the bathroom. It stunk to hell (thank god I packed lysol). The mircorwave in the room was ancient and the button to open the thing was broken off. Had to open it with a knife. The A/C unit could hardly keep the room cool. The rug was thread bear and I didn't need an alarm clock to wake me up because the when the sun came up it was shinning through the two inch gap of the door threshold. The pool was craked in a bunch of places and smelled like clorox bleach. I wish I would have checked the room over before I paid. I would have left without a doubt. Never again.

2  Thank Kerri F

Reviewed September 4, 2012

My family and I arrived Sat 9/1/12 for Labor Day weekend we met Jackie and she is courteous both on the phone as well as in person, she is very sweet. Later on I met Edie the owner and she is funny and has a great outgoing personalitly. Our room #9 was ideal for the 2 nights 3 days we spent here. the pool was very nice. overall I would recommend this motel. Anna Warren NJ

Room Tip: room #9 does not offer a balcony nor a beach view but for us it was fine since we were spending the...
  • Stayed: September 2012, traveled with family
Reviewed September 3, 2012

Booked a room at this motel on August 31, 2012. Desk clerk said they only had one room-2 queens in the breezeway - NO VIEW. i didn't need a view so we took it. Why I didn't look at the room before I paid for it I will never know. When we put our bags in the room, I noticed right away a moldy/musty smell, but we were busy having fun so we dropped our bags and went out for the evening. Came back around 9 and then went out to buy some candles and room spray - returning around 10:00. I then began to search the room and when I looked up the entire ceiling was covered in black mold. I immediately went to the office to alert the desk clerk but the office was closed. I would up spending the night in that room and was sick for 3 days after. My tongue swelled so bad I couldn't eat. I told the owner and she accused me of lying and then went and checked the room....came back and said "who cleans that room? why didnt they clean that ceiling or say something" and then proceeded to say it is so hard when the weather is like this, hot and humid...but I am telling you that mold was there for quite a while...the owner did not offer any compensation at all to me...she in fact didn't even say she was sorry she actually called me a liar.

Room Tip: stay somewhere else
Reviewed August 30, 2012

Having stayed at the Colton Court several times a year for the past several years, I read with great amusement some of the judicious comments posted by the plethora of "world travelers" who lament about the Colton Court and its management/staff. First off: the Colton Court Motel is just that: it's a motel. It is basic and functional, and while it may not be the last word in amenities and spotlessness, it is nonetheless a place which has provided great memories for my family for the past eight years. Yes, there were times when issues arose but its LOVELY manager, Edie, has NEVER once complained or voiced a dissenting word. Maybe she does lose her cool sometimes with guests who check in with attitudes and act as if the hotel and its staff existed solely for THEIR pleasure and who treated the rooms like their very own latrines (take a gander at the state of some of these rooms when some guests have checked out) . I've seen the mess left by certain guests and can only wonder how she doesn't lose her cool more often. If anything, Edie is overly accommodating--she rarely says anything to people who bring all types of food into the pool area or who act like hillbillies with music blaring from their balconies. You want luxury? Go check out Congress Hall and its ridiculous price tage of $689 a night (you can't please everyone after all--I've heard Congress Hall trashed by guests who complain about cleanliness and noise...sound familiar?) or the Virginia, or the spanking-new Ocean Club with rates tipping nearly $500 a night. I can go on and on. The Colton Court may not be a Ritz-Carlton (although you would think that certain guests expect it to be based on their comments like "What a disappointing place. No hair conditioner in the bathrooms!") but it is certainly not the Dante's Inferno of Cape May, either. As for Edie, she rocks!!

Room Tip: Ask for one of the rooms which have been recently renovated. More of the rooms will be renovated ove...
4  Thank Alan S
Reviewed August 12, 2012

We have stayed in Cape May many time before. Our first and last time at this place all because of the staff. This location is great, however the manager/owner is rude and needs to realize we are PAYING customer! I have never been treated with such disrespect before. We checked in at 2 and not a second before, their credit card machine was broken and she screamed at us like we were supposed to know ot was. Not my problem I told her, room was clean and big, No problem there, but after we unpacked and settled in we went to pool, was about 530. Well this woman screamed at the top of her lungs that we pool closes at 6. Never heard of such a thing. We are on vacation, I don't rules. She sat her chubby self on a chair talking loudly on the phone about other customers and how she doesn't need their business. We couldn't believe our ears!!! Please cancel ur reservation, go somewhere else. I will never give this place business and will tell everyone I know.

• Stayed: July 2012, traveled with family
2  Thank CM41823
Reviewed July 31, 2012

Colton Court is in dire need of updating. What was once a wonderful place to vacation is now a tacky, dirty, in much need of repair motel. The only thing that is alluring is the view of the ocean and jetty. Pool in need of repair; only one handrail on steps leading out of the deep end (safety issue)??, the base where the diving board once was needs to be removed (it's covered with torn old rug). Dogs are allowed in the rooms (although I love dogs, I don't want to stay in a place where I not only have to worry about bedbugs but also fleas). Rugs are ripped and torn throughout and need to be replaced (or at least cleaned). Will never go back again. Couldn't wait to get out of there and come home. Oh, they have a NO Smoking sign posted where the manager and employees sit outside and, yes, that's right, they smoke!!! --- right under the sign... What a dump-tacky, tacky, tacky! Bill must be turning over in his grave!

Room Tip: Take a cruise. The best value for your dollar.
  • Stayed: July 2012, traveled with family
2  Thank LynnA21
Reviewed July 30, 2012

i mean, yeah, it isn't a luxury hotel but it was fine! i just got back from a two night stay in cape may. i was terrified of the colton after reading so many horrible reviews. we stayed in one of the motel breezeway rooms...it was very clean, it did NOT smell and accommodated us well for the time we actually spent in the room itself. the owner was very nice to us and didn't bother us one bit. had no trouble with noise. honestly, the only thing even true i have read in these reviews is that there were holes in the walls...but it's because you can tell they more recently put in flat screen tvs and it was from the old cable...its really not a big deal.
honestly, id totally go back. we're looking to go back in the off season and the rates are unbeatable so we'll definitely look into the colton when we decide to go back. if you're looking for luxury, it's not the place. but it is just fine if you're going to just enjoy cape may and need a reasonable place to stay.

• Stayed: July 2012, traveled as a couple