“Best Kept Secret ay the Jersey Shore”

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Thomas Webster House
Reviewed August 25, 2013

The Thomas Webster house is an architectural treasure trove and a true horticultural gem as it is surrounded by magnificently landscaped grounds and Zen-like gardens filled with lush greenery, fountains, and rainbows of flowers.

This Victorian wonder with its fabulous host and hostess (Berny and Harry Gamble) is a true wonder both in its surroundings and its accommodations as every detail has not only been thoughtfully seen to, the owners make you feel welcome and comfortable and ensure that your stay is nothing less than delightful.

The suites are delightfully decorated with Victorian furnishings, ever so cozy, and immaculately clean. And, although the Thomas Webster House is a historical gem, you don't need to leave your iPad at home or miss your favorite TV show as you have access to free Wi-Fi as well as your own flat screen TV. And since every guest has their own private suite complete with a full kitchen and private desk -- morning coffee and an afternoon glass of wine can be enjoyed either on your deck or in the beautiful first floor garden.

Berny and Harry have truly seen to every detail so if you're planning a trip to the beach (no matter what the time of year) visit the Thomas Webster House as you will be more than thrilled with your choice and will come back again and again as I have over the years.

Room Tip: Any of the five suites as four have two bedrooms and one has one bedroom. I have stayed in three of...
  • Stayed: August 2013, traveled with friends
2  Thank calliope134

Reviewed July 14, 2013

I hate to say anything negative about Cape May because I love the town and have spent over 15 years vacationing there so I will just state facts. I recently stayed with my sister in the Gingko Suite. It reeked of third hand cigarette smoke. After one night I mentioned to the owner who interrupted me to say no one smokes here because I do not allow it. What I could not convey to her is that the suite smells horribly of old nicotine. There are old radiators in the kitchen and living room caked with dirt and odor on the inside. Perhaps the furniture and rugs came from a smoke filled house. Regardless, what I could not convey to her I will convey to anyone who may wish to stay there. The suite needs some serious cleaning and sanitization.

Stayed: July 2013, traveled with family
1  Thank LovetheBeach028
Reviewed September 3, 2012

We will stay here again. Plenty of space in the room, good location, the innkeepers were helpful and friendly. A few blocks from the beach and town but not too far to walk or bike. Bikes were provided by inn - perfect stay.

• Stayed: July 2012
1  Thank mkelly8
Reviewed June 17, 2012

My wife and I stayed in the Garden Suite recently. We were very happy with this accommodation; everything was beautifully decorated, well presented and clean. A lot of the amenities had the feel of not having been heavily used and rather new. Cape May was a lovely place to spend a long weekend with a lot of things to do and see- the whale/dolphin watcher trips are well worth it. We enjoyed meeting Berny and Harry- they made us feel welcome and we appreciated extras such as being able to borrow beach chairs and umbrellas. In terms of value, we felt this to be very fairly priced and would have no reservations in recommending this accommodation to family or friends.

• Stayed: June 2012, traveled as a couple
1  Thank winstonsmith198four
Reviewed June 10, 2011

My boyfriend and I stayed in the Revival suite Memorial Day weekend and had a wonderful stay. The suite was spacious and comfortable. The house was very clean and had a victorian feel to it. It was only a short walk to the beach and restaurants/shops on Washington Street, and Berny and Harry let us use their bikes to make getting to the shops easier. Berny was very helpful and gave us great recommendations for restaurants to eat. We will definitely come back!

• Stayed: May 2011, traveled as a couple
3  Thank michelleivy
Reviewed January 19, 2010

I have to say, we stayed here several nights in June 2009 and had an absolutely lovely experience. We took the prior 3 recommendations as a challenge and were quite disappointed when we got checked out and did not experience any of the concerns the prior 3 posts made. The posts did set our expectations, which helped. I also do not expect inn keepers to be slaves. But we also know how to use a broom before checking out and did not have any negative experiences. The place was quite satisfactory and will stay again in the future.

• Stayed: June 2009, traveled as a couple
3  Thank mellis614
Reviewed April 21, 2008

berny is absolutely intrusive from the minute you arrive, constantly knocking at the door, leaving you notes about what you need to do there like clean up and haul out trash and don't use the coffee and micro together because then you get the power shut off...also you can't even start your day as she is right on the deck as soon as you step outside to talk to you while you are trying to get to the beach. She asked us to cook her a meal while there and then proceeded to yell at us because the stove wasn't spotless and when i said there wasn't a lot of cleaners under the sink she yelled at me and tild me i should have asked for some. the night before we left she told us to take our time to leave in the am and then when we did (leaving 11:30am as opposed to 11:00AM she literally threw us out and started to scream and cry about how she still had all these rooms to clean and no time to do it and how we had not left the place spotless for her and on and on.... we were so distraught after a week stay in this lovely town that it soured our vacation when she reacted like this and we both knew we would never take rooms there again...please don't make a mistake to stay with these people as cape may has many other fine choices without being insulted

• Stayed: August 2006, traveled as a couple
    • Check in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
13  Thank mozartlayla