“repeat customer”
Review of Highland House

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Highland House
Ranked #23 of 39 Cape May B&B and Inns
New Jersey
“repeat customer”
Reviewed August 16, 2010

Just wanted to say that my husband, dog and myself stayed again at Highland House for a few days... since October we have stayed in 5 rooms! We like the location, price and the friendliness of the staff.
The "Garden Room" the smallest of the rooms did give a feeling of being in a garden it had it's own private bath with a "claw foot tub" and a deck outside the room.

room "1" was at the rear of the inn and along with the private bath it had a "kitchenette" which would be nice $ saving addition if you wanted to save money by cooking inside. What I liked the most about this room it had a private entrance and an on-site parking space.

The "Blue Room" was nicely decorated in a blue quilt theme had a small refrigerator great for keeping a bottle of wine or other beverage cold. It also had a daybed if you decided to bring your child and a private deck accessed from the room. My husband and I enjoyed sitting outside at night.

The "Burgundy Room" has a very romantic feel to it...so far I think it is my favorite. I love the burgundy walls and lace canopy on the bed...this room also has a small fridge. I suggest you bring another couple and rent the blue and burgundy rooms together like we did because you do share a bathroom which also has a "claw foot" tub.

The bed and breakfast has a nice warm feel to it...I love Terry's breakfast and stories I could spend the whole day just listening to her...David is very nice too!

I think the thing I enjoy is the other guests we have met and chatted with either at breakfast or just sitting on the front porch exchanging ideas on where to go what to do and enjoying each others pets.

We are planning another trip this October and will be bringing our sixteen year old daughter and a friend....see ya then!

• Stayed August 2010, traveled as a couple
1 Thank chattyjeannie

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (31)
West New York, NJ
Reviewed June 28, 2010

My husband and I stayed at the Highland House this past June with our 2 dogs. We had an absolutely wonderfule experience. We stayed in the Garden Room for two nights. It was very cozy and beautifully decorated. We shared a large porch with the Green Room. The dogs were out on the porch most of the trip. They loved it there. The owner's mother runs the B&B. She is very personable, friendly, catering and funny. She made our breakfast each day and told the dogs to "come to Grandma" She loves dogs, she wants to hold them. She offers to watch out for them when you are not in the room. This B&B is highly recommended, especially with dogs!

• Stayed June 2010, traveled as a couple
1 Thank pixiemixe
Mason Neck, VA
Reviewed June 25, 2010

Good news; They accept pets. Bad news........Room 1 is TINY, had to ask for hair dryer, linens stained and worn, had to buy fan ourselves to get cool, no individual thermostat, noisy,we had large dog, he couldn't even turn around, tiny fridge, (sink stopped up (they gave us draino - didn't work) If you want a really NICE B&B, look elsewhere., Place maintained by elderly lady and non-English speaking summer help, No maintenance persons availble. Owner away durimjg the week. Everything done on the cheap. We would not go back.

• Stayed June 2010, traveled as a couple
3 Thank jlmurphyandpups
Austin, Texas
Reviewed May 8, 2010

My wife has been raving about Cape May's Highland House for the three summers she's been staying there on her visits with our Lhasa Apso, Chloe'. In the past I've preferred staying beachfront. Well, she finally talked me into a two night stay at the Highland House and I must say that I couldn't have been more pleased.

We decided to book both the Blue and Burgundy rooms for extra space and to secure the private bath. Even with the cost of both rooms it was hundreds less than the typical beachfront property. Each room had a private second floor deck, one overlooking the street and the other overlooking the gardens. The size of both decks were large and ideal.

On our first night we enjoyed a take-out dinner in the screened gazebo that was covered with a lovely vine and decorative lights. The rooms were comfortable and cozy. The bathroom even had an old claw-foot tub for my wife to enjoy her evening soak, and if I must admit it, I took one too.

All in all a great visit. I look forward to returning to The Highland House as it is now my new destination location.

Steve.

Stayed May 2010, traveled as a couple
Philadelphia
Reviewed April 27, 2010

I will not repeat what the other five star ratings have stated, but will add a few details you will love!.......

Reasonable room rates, lenient check in and check out times (more readily available during week days and off season) AND no extra charge for you dog(s). And these folks REALLY love dogs. Dave, the owner has four of his own.

Also available are their two rental houses (one right on the bay beach) if you want a private yard for your pup and don't mind being 10 minutes from Cape May in the bay-side Villas.

I also HIGHLY recommend this place if you are traveling alone, but don't want to feel alone. Dave's mom, Terry will make you breakfast and chat you up. There are always other people to hang out with down in the dining room or on the front porch. I have even become friendly with one of the cleaning staff, Stephanie.

All around a great experience and when you factor in the reasonable room rates (that DO NOT go up during peek season) it cannot be beat.

Check them out and when you do, tell them that Lisa, the artist from Philly, sent you!

• Stayed July 2008, traveled as a couple
1 Thank flossynomore
Chester, PA
Reviewed April 14, 2010

Since 2006 my husband, myself and our three dogs vacation here three times a year during the summer. Dave and his mom are wonderful, friendly people who go out of their way to make sure their guests are comfortable. We wouldn't consider staying anywhere else. Each time we've been there, the rooms are clean, bright and cozy and we're made to feel like family. We've always enjoyed the breakfasts here and love sitting around the table dining and chatting with other guests. We recommend this place to all of our friends especially pet owners.

• Stayed September 2009, traveled as a couple
1 Thank marie0414
washington dc
Reviewed October 18, 2009

We were visiting Cape May for a wedding and wanted to find a place we could stay with our dog. I wouldn't say that this is a romantic getaway destination, but if you are going to the beach and want to have a place your dog can stay while you are there (since dogs are not allowed on the beach) then this is a good place for that.

The place is quite centrally located with some nice restaurants close by, and a 7-11 and CVS within a block.

We turned in early one evening (around 10pm) and could hear the conversations of folks downstairs (everyone else staying there was hanging out on the front porch or in the dinning room). They all seemed to turn in by 10:30pm so it wasn't an issue, but one should be aware that the doors are thin.

We stayed in the green room, which was fine for us but I could imagine if you were large (either tall or wide) that it wouldn't be very comfortable since the bathroom is quite small. The floor of the shower seemed a bit soft, but they had clearly just put in a new shower so perhaps they had just fixed a problem.

Things were not new, but they were clean. I appreciated that they left old sheets for us to cover the bed so the dog could jump up without me feeling guilty about him doing so.

Breakfast was basically what we would make ourselves at home... cereal, a hot option (eggs and waffles while we were there), and some homemade cakes. It was pleasant not to have to go searching for breakfast, but I wouldn't tell visitors to expect gourmet food.

I could see how some people would be disappointed but if you go with the understanding that you are not going to a fancy new place, I think it will meet your needs.

• Stayed October 2009, traveled as a couple