“Great place!”

Ranked #13 of 39 Cape May B&B and Inns
Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania, United States
“Great place!”
Reviewed August 13, 2012

We just returned from our stay here. We were thrilled with everything about it. The staff and service were wonderful, the breakfasts absolutely delicious, the ambiance charming, and the location quite good. We would definitely return, and plan on doing so next summer!

• Stayed August 2012, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Dana D

Business
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (74)
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, United States
Reviewed August 9, 2012

We chose to stay at Elaine's because they were family friendly by offering a room with 2 queen size beds. We could not have chosen a better place. The room was ready upon our arrival and the staff was very welcoming. Elaine's is very convenient to everywhere we wanted to go. The beach was a short walk and Washington St Mall was even closer. The entire staff was very accommodating and extremely pleasant. Our breakfast was delicious and very filling for us. It was a great way to start the day. We found the porch to be relaxing and friendly as we met several other guests. Dinner at the Haunted Mansion was great and a crowd pleaser for our family. We enjoyed ending our day with a drink at the bar. We truly felt as though we were among friends and are already planning when we can return.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled with family
1 Thank DianeP48
Washington DC, District of Columbia
Reviewed July 30, 2012

I wanted to like this place, especially after meeting the warm and nice people who work there, but there were a few things that just made that impossible.

Location:
While this property isn't a beach front, its actually in a great location. Just a block away from the Village Bike Shop where you can rent a bike for an hour or a day or several days, the Acme Market where you can buy food and groceries, and the mall.

This is where Elaine's is VERY weak. The room comes as pictured on their website. There's the basic toiletries (e.g., miniature travel size shampoo, bath wash, etc.), towels, hair dryer, and TV with cable, but that's it! No bathrob. No fridge. No phone. No newspaper. No courtesy bottled water. No iron or iron board (everyone shares one and you have to get it from the front desk). They say they have FREE WI-FI, but in Room #2 you can't access or pick up the network. After I arrived, I was told that you can only get a connection in certain parts of the house, so I dragged my MacBook all the way to Cape May for nothing. I wish they would have told me this BEFORE I came when I inquired about WI-FI over the phone when I placed the reservation.

Cost:
In season, Elaine's is on par with the Virginia Hotel and other high-end B&Bs, but without the amenities or the prime location.

Comfort:
The ladies who work the front desk are very kind. However, since Elaine, the owner, is about multiple streams of income (e.g., parking, haunted tours, restaurant, theater, etc.), B&B guests can feel lost in the shuffle, as the front desk employees are pulled into multiple directions, as they work across each business line.

However, my biggest complaint with Elaine's comes from the SMELL OF MY ROOM. As soon as I entered the room I noticed this very strong old and wet mildewy, carpet smell. It was awful. So awful that before I even finished unpacking my car, I went next door to the gift shop to buy some fragranced candles to burn in the room to help with the stinch. Unfortunately, the gals at the front desk told me that due to fire codes, I couldn't burn candles inside. They offered air freshener. After soaking the room with it (literally) and raising the window to let in fresh air, I resorted to the notion that the stinch was there to stay. I felt so uncomfortable with the smell that I didn't want to get under the covers or sheets. Instead, each night I slept on top of the blanket I brought with me. I think the only thing that will remove the smell is to shampoo or remove the carpet and clean the tapestry draped in the room.

Breakfast:
They offer a nice, diverse menu and guests can pick up to 5 entrees (price included). Juice and water is also complimentary. However, specialty drinks (e.g., mimosas, etc.) are extra.

Overall:
While I will likely NOT stay at Elaine's again, I don't think the property is a bad place. If amenities are important to you and you don't do well with stinky smells, Elaine's is not for YOU.

Room Tip: Don't choose room #2 if strong smells bother you!
  • Stayed July 2012, traveled solo
Lauren E, Public Relations Manager at Elaine's Bed & Breakfast Inn, responded to this review, August 28, 2012
We at Elaine's are sorry to hear that you have had a negative experience with us. We would love to speak to you personally about it. If you could please provide contact information we will call you as soon as possible. Also, we do hope that you realize that we are not price comparable with The Virginia Hotel. We are less expensive.
Elaine's
Cherry Hill, New Jersey
Reviewed July 23, 2012

We've stayed at Elaine's on three separate occasions and have loved it every time. The staff is wonderful and the breakfast is terrific. There is a lovely wrap-around porch and a cozy little reading room on the second floor that is furnished with Victorian era antiques. This B&B is very reasonably priced for services and location.

Stayed July 2012, traveled with family
1 Thank Barb C
Dickson City, Pennsylvania
Reviewed June 29, 2012

My husband and I stayed at Elaine's for our honeymoon this past week. The experience was the best! Our room was great with a private sun-room and veranda all to ourselves. The room itself was beautiful, clean, and comfy and such a reasonable rate. The staff at the hotel goes out of their way to make sure you have everything you need and more. Elaine's is just 3 blocks to the beach and they also provide chairs and umbrella's so there is no need for the additional expense of renting at the beach. The breakfast every morning, was delicious! You have to try the Banana's Foster French Toast, it was sinful! The dinner show in their own theater was entertaining and the meal was also great. What a selection! I only wish we could have stayed longer to go through the whole menu but we will be back!!! They also have a bar on site that comes alive in the early evening and offers a variety of unique drinks at reasonable prices. This is a must stay when your in Cape May!! Our thanks to Patrick and the staff for everything!!! We will be seeing you again!!
Nancy & John B.

Room Tip: room #4 is said to be haunted although we have no first hand evidence of this after our stay in the...
  • Stayed June 2012, traveled as a couple
1 Thank NancyandJohn_62312
Norristown, Pennsylvania
Reviewed June 25, 2012

This is the second time my fiance and I have stayed at Elaine's and it was even better this year! The rooms are small and quaint, but well-maintained, clean and homey. The staff is more than accommodating and friendly--they go out of their way to make your stay comfortable and enjoyable. Also included in the stay if you book 3+ nights are 2 complimentary cocktails and 2 tickets to the dinner theater, which is hilarious, not to mention the food is delicious. The best part of staying at this place is breakfast on the porch! They now are featuring an unlimited menu that guests of the B & B can order from--my favorite was the freshly squeezed OJ, bananas foster french toast and the best fruit salad I've ever had (10 types of local fruit in it!) Overall, wonderful location right in the midst of shops, restaurants and all the downtown action! You won't be disappointed. Thank you Elaine's! Can't wait 'til next year!

Room Tip: 2 and 5 are cheapest, small but comfortable; 5 is nice because it is on the second floor, whereas wi...
  • Stayed June 2012, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Sarah H
Westminster, Maryland
Reviewed June 17, 2012

We stayed in room #10, which carries one of the more expensive rates - $185/night. The room description and photo at Elaines web page is very misleading. The room is tiny, maybe 10' X 10' but the space included a closet that extends into the room and too many pieces of furniture but no chairs - sit on the bed. The drawers in the dresser are next to impossible to open. There were no satin sheets as the web page suggests and the room has a musty odor. The bathroom is very small and has a vent fan that does not vent. The staff is friendly enough but the staff did not offer anything voluntarily. The staff will say "good morning" easy enough but that's the end of the morning greeting - no one asked if I would like some coffee, I had to ask if I could get some coffee. Previous stays at a bed and breakfast have been very much like staying with family or friends, things are offered to you but at Elaines that is not policy. The web page says guest will receive a free round at the bar well nothing free was offered when I went to the bar. On a good note the breakfast is very nice and the other guess were very friendly. The location is very close to the mall, resturants and the walk to the beach is pleasant. The porch is nice but the chairs are not very comfortable. I would not give a recommendation to stay at Elaines and most likely will not go back. Next visit to Cape May we will try another B & B.

Room Tip: Don't select room #10!!!
  • Stayed June 2012, traveled with family
7 Thank lmchmc
We are disappointed to hear that you have had a negative experience with us. We aim to please each and every customer. We would love to speak with your further about your stay. If you would please provide contact information, our manager will give you a call.

Elaine's