This is our 3rd summer taking a family vacation in August in Cape May and I think the 3rd time is the charm. We finally found a hotel we like! We rented a 2 bedroom/1 bathroom condo on the 2nd floor with an ocean view for me, my husband and our two sons 3.5 and 6.5 years old.
- great location, easy to walk to beach, restaurants, ice cream shops, mini golf, etc.
- great view of the ocean.
- clean, nice Aveda toiletries, full kitchen, cable TV, free wifi, in-room laundry
- attentive staff - friendly, informative and responsive
- we were able to eat several meals in the condo and save some money, as well as the "fun" of eating out with two young kids
- beach service - was nice not to shlep chairs or umbrella to the beach. NOTE: When I booked I was told that beach service was right in front of the Sandpiper, separate from Congress Hall but that was not the case. Sandpiper guests used the CH beach service, which is only 2 blocks away and not a big deal, but just not what I had expected.
- sister to other Cape May Resort Properties.... loved that I could charge to my room at CH (for Monday carnival tickets as well as lunch on the beach), Star Inn (where there is a starbucks) and Beach Shack (where we had a great, casual meal). Made it so easy.
- rooms could be bigger. the manager told me the rooms are bigger in the 2bed/2bath units but I didn't see them myself so can't confirm. Both of our bedrooms were small, as was the living room area. I have seen some reviews say the balcony was small but I thought it was a nice size.
- there was a breakfast counter & the coffee table but no kitchen/dining table for eating in our unit
- no place to unpack clothes. There was a double closet in the master bedroom but no shelves or drawers. That said, I spoke to the manager and right away he sent someone with a glass bookshelf-like unit to put in the closet and we used that for our clothes. He was very nice and responsive but considering that Cape May is such a casual beach town, I'd recommend they install shelves in the closet for t-shirts, shorts and bathing suits as I'd think many people come with mostly casual-wear vs. hanging clothes.
- pool was cold... they could heat it to make it a bit warmer. We went in a few times to cool off but didn't spend a lot of time there since it was cold.
- could use an in-room safe
- wish they would create floor plans and post them on the website so that you could be more informed as you choose your room when you book.
Overall, we had a fantastic week at the Sandpiper and would definitely stay there again. It is expensive, but relative to what we paid for at other hotels in Cape May we got much more for our money.
Just for reference/comparison, our first year we stayed in La Mer, which was a nice hotel, but bad location -- too far to walk to the Washington Street Mall and our second year we stayed in Marquis de Lafayette which had a fantastic location but was a dump (you can see my reviews for both places by linking through my profile).
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- If you are looking for unmatched quality, location and outstanding amenities in your vacation rental, the Sandpiper Beach Club, Cape May NJ, is the perfect fit. Offering 51 units on a beachfront block in Cape May, New Jersey, the Sandpiper is available for daily, weekend, or weekly rentals year round. Located in the heart of the famed historic district of Cape May, across the street from the area's best beaches, the Sandpiper boasts a walk-to-everything convenient. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Booking.com and Agoda so you can book your Sandpiper Beach Resort reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Sandpiper Beach Hotel Cape May
- Sandpiper Beach Cape May
- Sandpiper Cape May Nj
- Sandpiper Hotel Cape May